Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons

Electronic Arts' Q4 FY12 and FY12 Financial Results are now online, offering balance sheets on the gaming giant along with tidbits of information about their operations. They report all-time high non-GAAP net revenue of $4.2 billion for the fiscal year, and a jump in digital non-GAAP revenue of 47% to $1.2 billion. Included is a note saying Star Wars: The Old Republic has 1.3 million active subscribers, which Ars notes is down from a reported 1.7 million in March, confirming speculation the game has been losing subscribers. They also report n a post-earnings conference call where EA Labels President Frank Gibeau said the drop was consistent with their "original assumptions" about the Star Wars MMORPG's post-launch prospects, though he also stated EA "intends to increase subscribers" with continual upgrades, including new guild features, player vs. player improvements, and "elder gameplay" for high-level players. EA also announces two new content packs, "Legacy" and "Allies," will be coming to the game this quarter.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

13. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 21:49 Trevellian

Cutter wrote on May 7, 2012, 21:30:
And after GW2 and Secret World launch Ye Olde Repube is going to lose a lot more subs...lot more.

Oh yeah, and TES Online is not too far off either.

Sadly after seeing the leaked Game Informer article on TES I'm not excited, looks like another WoW clone with TES stuff.

All they had to do was keep the way Skyrim plays and make it multiplayer, but no.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 21:44 Steele Johnson

That's what they get for sinking all that money into a dying genre. Do some market research the next time, EA! Doh!  

11. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 21:38 NKD

Cutter wrote on May 7, 2012, 21:30:
And after GW2 and Secret World launch Ye Olde Repube is going to lose a lot more subs...lot more.

Oh yeah. I got into TSW beta event tomorrow, anyone else get in?

And speaking of failed WoW clones...

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 21:30 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 21:22 NKD

Beelzebud wrote on May 7, 2012, 21:14:
I just want to see an MMO that does not use the Wow Formula. Design your own combat systems. Design your own skill systems. Stop making every MMO exactly the same game with a different skin on it.

Say what you will about Asheron's Call and Everquest, but at least in that era there was a clear distinction between the games.

Yep. Everyone is trying to make a million+ subscriber blockbuster instead of trying to make something cool and unique. You can't make an MMO with a large (by today's standards) subscriber base without watering your shit down to appeal to the casual and the incompetent. If companies were to create more specialized MMO experiences I think they'd find they could get 300-400k extremely loyal subscribers without spending $200 million to develop the thing.

SWTOR is the shining example of how even with 6 years of development, fucktons of money, and an IP a thousand times more popular than Azeroth, making a WoW clone isn't going to be that successful. People who are tired of WoW don't want to play it again, and people who aren't tired of WoW are content to keep playing it. There is no huge market for "WoW, but slightly different."

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 21:14 Beelzebud

I just want to see an MMO that does not use the Wow Formula. Design your own combat systems. Design your own skill systems. Stop making every MMO exactly the same game with a different skin on it.

Say what you will about Asheron's Call and Everquest, but at least in that era there was a clear distinction between the games.

7. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 21:04 NKD

I expected them to be a lot lower given the drop in concurrent players seems to have been a lot more than 25%. If they can keep it around a million they've probably got a healthy game ahead of them. Anything below that and it'll probably not get as much development.

As to going free to play as the comment is so common in threads, that's probably not going to happen. Warhammer has far fewer than 1.3 million subscribers and even it hasn't gone F2P. BioWare/Mythic feel like the player base you get in an F2P is considerably shittier and less loyal, even if it does make you more money in the short term.

6. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 20:59 wtf_man

They neglected to say that to maintain that 1.7 million in February, that they launched in other countries... so the rate of decline is actually greater than what is being shown from March to now.

Either way it's a flop, vs. how much they spent to develop it.

Bioware is batting a Thousand... DA2, then ME3, now SW:TOR. Put a fork in them... they're done.

5. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 20:59 Silicon Avatar

All I want out of a Star Wars style MMO is X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter: The MMO.

I'm still waiting.

4. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 20:39 Bhruic

I'm still enjoying going through the various character storylines, but there's nothing to do at level 50 that holds any interest for me.

One of these days, MMO designers will realize that giving people a compelling storyline and leveling experience, and then requiring them to grind group experiences when they are "finished" is a bad way to handle things. Well, ok, they probably won't realize that, but it'd be nice if they did.

3. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 20:39 nin

"No no, the ships fine, just pass me another bucket."

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 20:30 Darks

Doesnít matter how much crap they add, itís way too late now. They will never recoup those lost subs. Can you say free anyone?  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

1. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 20:21 Saboth

SW:TOR was an ok distraction. Missing many many things that any MMO in this day and age should have out of the box. Almost 6 months after the game came out, they STARTED adding some of these things, but they have a long way to go. I have zero desire to go back, even if they clean up their game 300% in the coming months. I think MMO devs will eventually realize you have to get it right the first time in a market with this many competitors. People aren't going to sit around paying a sub for 2, 4, 6, 12 months waiting for you to release LFG tools, customizable UI, etc.

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo