Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Company of Heroes 2 Announced

THQ officially announces Company of Heroes 2, following last week's indications that a sequel to Relic's World War II RTS game is in the works. The game is expected "early" next year, and rumors that it will recruit players to battle on the dreaded Eastern front are confirmed:

As a true sequel, this game moves the battle away from the common Western Front focus of World War II and refocuses on some of history’s most brutal and devastating conflicts on the Eastern Front, challenging players to take command of the iconic Red Army and repel the Nazi invaders from the very gates of Moscow.

Company of Heroes 2 utilizes Relic® Entertainment’s state of the art proprietary Essence 3.0 EngineTM to bring new technological advancements to the strategy genre in the form of innovative Dynamic Battle Tactics, increased graphical fidelity and new environmental destruction, ultimately putting the player in control with new Commander Abilities.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 16:11 Dmitri_M

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 7, 2012, 15:21:
Yosemite Sam wrote on May 7, 2012, 14:40:
Nice, keep the same formula, be nice to be able to zoom out more and definatly got to have the same kind of chatter, that was one great thing about CoH... jesus conrad tie your fucking laces ... course having quit the hardware cold war years ago I prolly wont even be able to run it.
Building a gaming rig is cheap these days, especially if you aren't concerned with running the latest FPS games with all options maxed out at 100+fps.
Yeah you really don't need much to run new PC games if you're prepared to run on mid settings.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 15:21 Wowbagger_TIP

Yosemite Sam wrote on May 7, 2012, 14:40:
Nice, keep the same formula, be nice to be able to zoom out more and definatly got to have the same kind of chatter, that was one great thing about CoH... jesus conrad tie your fucking laces ... course having quit the hardware cold war years ago I prolly wont even be able to run it.
Building a gaming rig is cheap these days, especially if you aren't concerned with running the latest FPS games with all options maxed out at 100+fps.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

18. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 14:40 Yosemite Sam

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

17. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 13:57 SXO

I just hope it has coop. Controlling the action in four different areas started wearing me out. I finished the original game, but still haven't finished the expansions.  

16. Took them long enough May 7, 2012, 13:15 Sphinx

So they finally wised up and went to the Eastern Front. I want peasant armies, women snipers, and internal security forces shooting their own soldiers as they run.

Russia starts out with a 10:1 numerical advantage but only 2 of them have a gun.

-Sphinx

15. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 12:28 ASeven

Creston wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:20:
challenging players to take command of the iconic Red Army

Well, it'll be interesting to play an RTS in which your troops have no guns, that's for sure. :o

Or part of the Penal squads where one step back meant literally being shot for cowardice.

14. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 12:19 Dmitri_M

Bet wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:52:

CoH was revolutionary in 2006, and still is, with the deformable terrain and building destruction. To create a game that makes Starcraft 2 look dated, all they need to do is...refine it. And not even much at that, since Starcraft 2 barely brought anything new to the table more than a decade later.
Yup I agree, it's an excellent engine and an excellent game overall. I still play it quite often. My point was just I hope they do more than just shoehorn some normal maps and higher polycounts and at least attempt to add gameplay features. Which they've said they are doing. Something that justifies it being called a sequel and not an expansion.

13. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 11:52 Bet

Dmitri_M wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:38:
I don't think you're going to get too much of a deviation from the original titles. Neither in terms of tech or gameplay. Which is kinda what bothers me, I want to see some advances not just a cash in. They tried that already with the online version.

It's too early to be pessimistic about it, and from what I've read it seems they are attempting to develop things. I'll believe it when I see it though.
The online version was a break-off attempt to bring the non-piratable Asian version to the relatively low piracy base outside of Asia, not just an attempt for money. Was worth a shot, but it lived as long as it did because of its failures compared to the Real Thing.

CoH was revolutionary in 2006, and still is, with the deformable terrain and building destruction. To create a game that makes Starcraft 2 look dated, all they need to do is...refine it. And not even much at that, since Starcraft 2 barely brought anything new to the table more than a decade later.

Matchmaking is the only thing I really appreciate more in SC2 over CoH right now (and the massively larger playerbase which makes it so much easier to get a game going).

Out of curiosity, what would you suggest they advance?

12. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 11:49 Donkey_Punch

I loved COH1. Great game from a great company.

EA or UBI they are not.

11. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 11:46 FU

as long as they get back to Opposing fronts style of play it'll be all good.  

10. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 11:38 Dmitri_M

I don't think you're going to get too much of a deviation from the original titles. Neither in terms of tech or gameplay. Which is kinda what bothers me, I want to see some advances not just a cash in. They tried that already with the online version.

It's too early to be pessimistic about it, and from what I've read it seems they are attempting to develop things. I'll believe it when I see it though.

9. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 11:31 Bet

ASeven wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:07:
Please please please make this live up to the original and not make CoH2 as a DoW2 game.
Considering CoH was nearly perfection (logged 500+ hours in multiplayer), not only do I agree with you, but I'd think they have to be insane to mess with the formula.

Creston's point about the Red Army dilemmas were the point of much discussion while in game lobbies. The commander trees could be hilarious, let alone what kind of unit pool they can pull from.

Edit: It should be noted that a lot of DoW 2's awkwardness came from adapting DoW to be more like CoH in multiplayer, so hopefully there won't be an issue of them screwing up the multiplayer.

8. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 11:20 Creston

challenging players to take command of the iconic Red Army

Well, it'll be interesting to play an RTS in which your troops have no guns, that's for sure.

Creston

7. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 11:07 ASeven

Please please please make this live up to the original and not make CoH2 as a DoW2 game.  

6. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 10:56 InBlack

Good news, I guess? Although Im kind of burnt out by historical settings in my games. If its modern warfare, WW2, Vietnam, close future vs terrorists whatever....im more or less 'meh'. Still would like to see Relic do another Space RTS or even a 4x game with RTS elements.

Another Homeworld would be cool, but I feel they could do more with a completely new IP. (The 'chosen' people storyline in Homeworld always felt a bit too much for me)

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 10:53 qsto

Oh well, Homeworld 3 is a beautiful dream. Perhaps someday...  

4. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 10:36 Bucky

When will they take my money?  

3. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 10:32 SpectralMeat

Seems like a pretty long way away still. I am pretty excited about this and the new C&C Generals game also.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

2. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 10:08 Verno

Interesting to see if the commander abilities are a true replacement for the talent-tree style command point unlocks in the first game. The engine was already pretty refined so any improvements are just gravy. Really looking forward to this (omg blues is so negative hurf durf!). I kind of wish they did something with Africa or the Pacific instead though, the excellent Eastern Front mod will be hard to one up.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

1. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Announced May 7, 2012, 10:07 Lokust

Truly fantastic news!  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo