Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Interview

A video interview on Games On Net talks with Jay Wilson of Blizzard about Diablo III and "why item acquisition is more important than ladders, how they plan to handle latency for Australians, and why they will not incorporate an 'offline mode." They also have a blurb up about some comments Wilson made about the stand he took against changing the visual perspective in the action/RPG sequel that's due for release next week: "Very early on in the process we had some people who argued that we should not make the game isometric, that it would be better technology, more modern, if we made a third or first-person game," said Wilson. "I really would have nothing of it. For me a camera is not a technology choice, there's more than enough first and third-person games out there."

View
134 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

74. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 19:55 Closed Betas

Identifying stuff was a money sink, and a economy trick, as many items came out to be worthless when identified. Repairing gear is obvious penalty for death and another money sink. For other games in the old days it was a economy thing and people did the work... The 9 year old cry babies ruined all the real games.. Diablo 3 is all we have left in real games... lets take it and enjoy it please.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 19:54 Dev

Slippy wrote on May 7, 2012, 19:38:
The only thing that would make the always on-line RMAH cooler is if it was also in 3/4 isometric view with a fixed camara... Maybe in a future patch...
Don't worry, if they think they can make more RMAH money that way, they will.

72. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 19:38 Slippy

The only thing that would make the always on-line RMAH cooler is if it was also in 3/4 isometric view with a fixed camara... Maybe in a future patch...  

71. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 19:28 Dev

"why item acquisition is more important than ladders"

Because they want you to pay for items in the RMAH?

70. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 19:15 briktal

Undocumented Alien wrote on May 7, 2012, 16:35:
  • No more "mana" ball (in regards to a potion for it), now a kill "charge up" to fill... wtf?

• Witch Doctors have traditional mana, high max mp/slow recharge. Barbarians and monks have a build up resource, wizards have a low max/fast recharge power and demon hunters have both a fast recharge and a slow recharge power with the fast one used for attacks and the slow one used for defense.

I'm not concerned about the always online stuff because when I bought D2 I played it for an hour or two offline then looked at the online stuff and wondered why I'd ever want to play it offline.

69. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 19:06 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on May 7, 2012, 12:10:
    It's also what every reply to such a post explains.. what do people not get when we talk about offline mode? Offline mode, as in a mode only played OFFLINE?

Are there people not understanding the concept of offline? We don't want open b.net or bullshit, we want a SP offline mode. Without AH, without anyone seeing it, or being able to join it. With mod support!

THIS. Would it really be so hard to simply have an offline mode where the chars were completely separate and banned from playing in the online mode? I have a stable internet connection, but I travel a bit, and the hotels I stay in often don't have free internet.

Glad there's TL & TL2 for this fix.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

68. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 18:08 Julio

Good call on keeping it an isometric game.  

67. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 17:53 Tumbler

Some of the "What the?!?!" moments for me playing the open beta weekend were:

Health Potion Cool-down... wtf?

The health potion cool-down stuff was the most memorable moment of that weekend for me. That treasure hunting elf or whatever he is showed up and instead of letting him run off I tried chasing him to see how much he'd drop. Well that little bastard ran through every mob he could find and before long I had a circus of death following me and that is when I learned that I couldn't use health potions without a cool down. So I started running away and then I only pulled more mobs, more and more mobs, there was an army chasing me and everywhere I ran I just kept getting more guys! I'd get a bit away and fire a few attacks, somehow I stayed alive long enough to use a health potion but no matter how far I ran I just kept pulling more and more guys and they wouldn't give up.

So I started heading to town in hopes that this would all reset and I made it only to realize these guys don't give a FUCK about towns. They came charging after me anyway and I had guards helping here at least and they were channeled into narrow areas where it was easier to defend but I had to back track through the whole town before I killed the last guy. Walking back through the town was like walking on a trail of bodies. There were dead guys everywhere, I must have killed 100 enemies in the town streets.

That was a lot of fun. Try running through the map and see how many enemies you can pull. I'm guessing later enemies will have snare traps and stuff that slows you down so I'm guessing this won't work all the time.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
    Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

66. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 17:52 Total-Khaos

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2012, 16:47:
    RollinThundr wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:53:
    I still want to know what Blizzard and their fanboys like Krowen are going to come up with as an excuse when dupes start showing up anyway.
    So tell me something, how many dupes have you seen in WoW? It's a valid comparison.

Well there is a secret. Ninja moles inside the PC.

Flatline wrote on May 7, 2012, 15:50:
    Is it going to break dupers though? Where there's a will there's a way.
    More than likely. It's unprofitable to cheat in WoW unless you're using stolen accounts, or they're using accounts that have been bunged off for powerleveling. If there is duping it's very small time, since every item that's created in the game is assigned a unique trackable ID. The one time there was a dupe bug in WoW, a few hundred thousand people had their ill-gotten T5 stripped off of them.

Ahem! Duplicating items is still occurring in WoW, with a working method detailed back in March on a less than reputable forum. Hell, you could duplicate items in your guild bank for the longest time before Blizzard got wind of it.

65. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 17:33 Orogogus

If memory serves, repairing costs an minimal amount of gold. Isn't gambling the only thing that consumes anything more than an utterly marginal amount of gold by the time you're part way through the early game?  

64. stupid question May 7, 2012, 17:33 space captain

Orogogus wrote on May 7, 2012, 17:24:
    Or do some people find the restock and repair parts fun?

yep

Go forth, and kill!

63. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 17:26 Mashiki Amiketo

Orogogus wrote on May 7, 2012, 17:24:
    As an extremely casual player, I've always wondered -- what was the point of making you identify stuff and repair your gear? Did they test it without these things and players's brains just rejected a game that let you keep hacking away without ever going back to town? Or do some people find the restock and repair parts fun?
    Mostly to sink gold into something. Same reason as to why there's a repair system in WoW, which there wasn't early in the vanilla beta.

--
    "For every human problem,
    there is a neat, simple solution;
    and it is always wrong."
    --H.L. Mencken

62. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 17:24 Orogogus

As an extremely casual player, I've always wondered -- what was the point of making you identify stuff and repair your gear? Did they test it without these things and players's brains just rejected a game that let you keep hacking away without ever going back to town? Or do some people find the restock and repair parts fun?  

61. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 17:02 Cram

• Health Potion Cool-down... wtf?

• No more "mana" ball (in regards to a potion for it), now a kill "charge up" to fill... wtf?

• I, for one, will not miss potions spam. It was a disaster in Diablo 1, and while the belt improved things in D2, it still sucked. Having to stop playing, go to town to get "pots" was brutal, broken and not fun. In my opinion, anyway. Now whether the health globe system has its own issues in higher difficulties, we shall see but so far I really like the change.

As for the mana thing, well every class has a different resource that generates differently. Helps make the class a bit more unique from another. Mana potions, like health potions, I will not miss. I may not fully understand your second point, but Diablo 2 had "kill charge ups" too. Everyone wanted leech rings, it was almost required for certain classes. So, you had to kill to charge up anyway. I like how some of these D3 resources make you keep going, keep attacking, keep playing. I am not being taken out of the action to go refill on potions (and also town portals, identify scrolls).

60. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 16:49 Dev

• As I recall (and its been a while since I played beta), the various classes have various "mana" type resources. The sorcerer has the classic mana you are thinking of, potions and slowly grows. One of the other classes its rage/anger or something you gain when you use one type of standard skill, and another type of much better skill uses it up.
    So that kill charge up was just for one of the classes, if you try the others you'll see different things.

59. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 16:49 Cutter

Luke wrote on May 7, 2012, 16:21:
    Enough has been said about Blizzard's excuses for always-on DRM and the inclusion of a cash shop; I absolutely despise both design decisions, but it's not going to change so the point seems moot.

The power lies with the gamers we can if we WANT to...but it seems peps eat all they throw at you

It's very simple. Just don't buy it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

58. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 16:47 Mashiki Amiketo

RollinThundr wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:53:
    I still want to know what Blizzard and their fanboys like Krowen are going to come up with as an excuse when dupes start showing up anyway.
    So tell me something, how many dupes have you seen in WoW? It's a valid comparison.

Well there is a secret. Ninja moles inside the PC.

More than likely. It's unprofitable to cheat in WoW unless you're using stolen accounts, or they're using accounts that have been bunged off for powerleveling. If there is duping it's very small time, since every item that's created in the game is assigned a unique trackable ID. The one time there was a dupe bug in WoW, a few hundred thousand people had their ill-gotten T5 stripped off of them.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2012, 17:25.

--
    "For every human problem,
    there is a neat, simple solution;
    and it is always wrong."
    --H.L. Mencken

57. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 16:38 Creston

eunichron wrote on May 7, 2012, 12:59:
    Oh wait, the only differences are that one has an RMAH and always-online DRM.

I'd call those fairly significant differences.

Creston

56. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 16:35 Undocumented Alien

In truth, I would contend that the things they have changed make it less Diablo than a perspective change would. But maybe that's just me.

Yes, I LIKE Diablo in an isometric 3/4 view style, that's what it is.

• Didn't like these two "features" at all, especially the cool-down shite, very much NOT Diablo.

Hellgate turned out to be a disaster because of Bill Roper's greed and incompetence, but the fundamental mechanics were actually pretty sound.

At least Roper gave us a true OFFLINE mode, even with his asinine Adverts and Subscription model.

I did one play-through (offline) with Hellgate London as a "Sniper". Wasn't to bad, did seem like a good mix of Diablo item hunting and FPS. After that had no interest in playing again though.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2012, 16:40.

55. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 16:29 Pigeon

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:12:
    eunichron wrote on May 7, 2012, 12:59:

Oh wait, the only differences are that one has an RMAH and always-online DRM.
    To be perfectly honest, if you're going to allow a RMAH, there's no real way to get around it. It's going to have to have an 'always on' connection if nothing to break dupers, and reducing the chances of seeing 29370879878909 SoJ's. Like we saw last time, you know, in D2.

I'm not aware of any item major item duping problems in WoW, though duping apparently does exist. If they're able to control it to the extent they do in WoW it probably won't be too much of an issue. However, if I understand correctly, all equipment can be traded in D3. That was certainly my experience in the beta. In WoW the best items tend to be BoP so there's really no point in duping those. In D3 since the best equipment can be auctioned and with real money involved there's going to be a lot of motivation for the dupers. I'll be surprised if blizz can pull of the RMAH with little issue.

134 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo