Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Interview

A video interview on Games On Net talks with Jay Wilson of Blizzard about Diablo III and "why item acquisition is more important than ladders, how they plan to handle latency for Australians, and why they will not incorporate an 'offline mode." They also have a blurb up about some comments Wilson made about the stand he took against changing the visual perspective in the action/RPG sequel that's due for release next week: "Very early on in the process we had some people who argued that we should not make the game isometric, that it would be better technology, more modern, if we made a third or first-person game," said Wilson. "I really would have nothing of it. For me a camera is not a technology choice, there's more than enough first and third-person games out there."

View
134 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

14. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 11:05 Bucky

nin wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:02:
I'm happy they kept the view isometric though, it just wouldn't have felt right from a third or first person viewpoint.

I would have at least taken a rotatable camera.

That would have been nice, but I've seen both Blizzard and Runic comment on how much more work it would create when it came to level design; with a fixed camera they know what you can see and only have to build the levels from that perspective.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 11:02 nin

I'm happy they kept the view isometric though, it just wouldn't have felt right from a third or first person viewpoint.

I would have at least taken a rotatable camera.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 11:00 InBlack

I feel that Blizzard should simply bite the bullet and patch in an offline mode (if that is even possible with their technology). The always on simply feels like a lame excuse to introduce players to their RMAH. It stinks of corporate Greed and only fools would believe the generic answers for the always-on questions.  

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:56 Verno

From what I recall, the reason there is no offline mode is due to the fact that most of the items, if not all, are stored server side to prevent the wide-spread duping found in D2 and D1 where the information was stored locally

There were two types of multiplayer in Diablo 2, open battle.net and closed battle.net. Closed battle.net had everything stored server side. Duping still occurred in closed battle.net anyway and is more a consequence of trusting client input than anything else. Incidentally, there is already a partially working D3 server emulator that can spawn mobs and items.

The lack of an offline mode has little to do with security models. They probably didn't want to invest the resources into it because they know they have serious brand power both in the product and the company names. That's their right but it's a lamentable choice to be sure. I feel sorry for rural players and organizations with gamers like the military who will be affected by this but thankfully games like Torchlight II are keeping that tradition alive still.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

10. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:48 Bucky

Only one week left....

Does anyone have a time machine they'd be willing to loan me?

9. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:47 Wowbagger_TIP

Wallshadows wrote on May 7, 2012, 10:39:
From what I recall, the reason there is no offline mode is due to the fact that most of the items, if not all, are stored server side to prevent the wide-spread duping found in D2 and D1 where the information was stored locally. Could you imagine the RMAH with Diablo 2 duping?

Another ruststorm could come and wipe out all the duped items or items disappear after you leave the game and those who bought in to them will be calling for heads to roll while the seller cashes out.

It makes sense to me and if it actually makes a dupe-free market then I think this design will impress more people than turn away.
If you keep offline chars offline, there is no problem with this. That's what post 5 was talking about.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

8. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:46 Wowbagger_TIP

deqer wrote on May 7, 2012, 10:32:
"and why they will not incorporate an 'offline mode."

Really? Because all I got from this interview was the same bullshit they've been feeding us before? I thought this interview would have a REAL answer. "Security", and "People angry for not knowing about online mode, and cant bring their character online." are not real answers; that's the same bullshit from before.

It's bullshit because the solution to THAT is quite simple. If it's called "Offline", wouldn't that be the slightest clue to the player that they will be offline? And wouldn't a simple hazard-themed popup warning message resolve that issue? The solution is so simple.
Exactly. Their reasons are absolutely bullshit. They are concerned about people being angry that they can't bring their offline chars online, but not about all the things about being online-only that make people angry? Yeah, bullshit.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

7. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:43 InBlack

GJ Wilson, even though he was never part of the original team that worked on D1 and D2, he has always maintained that he is a huge fan of their work and that he wants to keep the integral part of the Diablo 'feel' central to D3. That includes the isometric view, the itemization and non-bind 'random' systems, and the iconic characters and monsters from the original games.

Im looking forward to D3 sure its more of the same, but 'the same was' like ten years ago and I kind of want some more of that....

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:39 Wallshadows

From what I recall, the reason there is no offline mode is due to the fact that most of the items, if not all, are stored server side to prevent the wide-spread duping found in D2 and D1 where the information was stored locally. Could you imagine the RMAH with Diablo 2 duping?

Another ruststorm could come and wipe out all the duped items or items disappear after you leave the game and those who bought in to them will be calling for heads to roll while the seller cashes out.

It makes sense to me and if it actually makes a dupe-free market then I think this design will impress more people than turn away.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

5. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:32 deqer

"and why they will not incorporate an 'offline mode."

Really? Because all I got from this interview was the same bullshit they've been feeding us before? I thought this interview would have a REAL answer. "Security", and "People angry for not knowing about online mode, and cant bring their character online." are not real answers; that's the same bullshit from before.

It's bullshit because the solution to THAT is quite simple. If it's called "Offline", wouldn't that be the slightest clue to the player that they will be offline? And wouldn't a simple hazard-themed popup warning message resolve that issue? The solution is so simple.

Hey everyone, just because this guy acts so confident in the bullshit he's feeding you, does not mean it's true or real.

Companies--like Blizzard--only feed us the answers we want to hear. They will NOT feed you the true answers, such as "control", "tracking", etc.

Oh, and "latency hiding" ? So, the latency is still there, you're just hiding it? lulz...

4. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:31 Wallshadows

There will be third party ladder systems but the downside is that the player is responsible for updating it rather than an automated scan since there is no armory-equivalent.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/

Actually, they might be able to auto refresh the characters once they have your battle tag.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

3. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:27 Doma

ItBurn wrote on May 7, 2012, 10:17:
A FPS view just makes it become a different kind of game.

Yeah, I remeber trying to tell people that when Fallout 3 came around....

They didnt listen

D3 looks nice though

2. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:17 ItBurn

A FPS view just makes it become a different kind of game. Not sure I'd want that for Diablo, but I do love diablo-style games with a FPS view. Even tho people complain about Hellgate London for various good and bad reasons, I LOVE it and think that it's a major step forward from Diablo 2.  

1. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:10 Verno

I don't agree with all of his design choices for the Monk class but glad to see Jay stand up for the isometric view. There's a new generation of designers who want to make everything an FPS and too often they get their wish due to publishers wanting to cash in.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

134 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo