Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Interview

A video interview on Games On Net talks with Jay Wilson of Blizzard about Diablo III and "why item acquisition is more important than ladders, how they plan to handle latency for Australians, and why they will not incorporate an 'offline mode." They also have a blurb up about some comments Wilson made about the stand he took against changing the visual perspective in the action/RPG sequel that's due for release next week: "Very early on in the process we had some people who argued that we should not make the game isometric, that it would be better technology, more modern, if we made a third or first-person game," said Wilson. "I really would have nothing of it. For me a camera is not a technology choice, there's more than enough first and third-person games out there."

View
134 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

34. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 13:43 Glykon

Diablo 3 sux ; never believed will be sooo bad as it is. So I guess this is the idiot who took some of the worst decisions to make this crap in such a loong time...pity  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 13:30 Undocumented Alien

LoL.. nin, absolutely is from Mugatu.  

32. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 13:28 nin

Undocumented Alien wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:20:
Verno, On the offline mode, I would have to say that I think this all falls back to how duping was out of control and Blizz is needing to put an end to that because of the real world AH they implemented now.

Duping has ZERO effects from a complete OFFLINE mode. I feel like I'm on crazy pills when I see people saying there is no OFFLINE mode because of duping.

No OFFLINE mode is because Acti-Blizz will be making $$$ on the AH. I believe between D1 and D2 Blizz sold around 17-18 million units, I don't think piracy was a huge issue.

Yes, I will be passing on D3, not supporting this insanity. T2 will be the successor to D2. D3 is an MMO lite.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 13:20 Undocumented Alien

Verno, On the offline mode, I would have to say that I think this all falls back to how duping was out of control and Blizz is needing to put an end to that because of the real world AH they implemented now.

Duping has ZERO effects from a complete OFFLINE mode. I feel like I'm on crazy pills when I see people saying there is no OFFLINE mode because of duping.

No OFFLINE mode is because Acti-Blizz will be making $$$ on the AH. I believe between D1 and D2 Blizz sold around 17-18 million units, I don't think piracy was a huge issue.

Yes, I will be passing on D3, not supporting this insanity. T2 will be the successor to D2. D3 is an MMO lite.

30. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 13:20 deqer

eunichron wrote on May 7, 2012, 12:59:
Oh wait, the only differences are that one has an RMAH and always-online DRM.
So, you did NOT watch the stream. Okay.

29. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 13:12 Mashiki Amiketo

eunichron wrote on May 7, 2012, 12:59:

To be perfectly honest, if you're going to allow a RMAH, there's no real way to get around it. It's going to have to have an 'always on' connection if nothing to break dupers, and reducing the chances of seeing 29370879878909 SoJ's. Like we saw last time, you know, in D2.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

28. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 12:59 eunichron

deqer wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:57:
InBlack wrote on May 7, 2012, 10:43:
wants to keep the integral part of the Diablo 'feel'
If you want a true Diablo experience like the past, then get Torchlight II

Please do explain how one game in which you create a character and click the mouse until monsters die, then collect gold and items to make you more powerful so that you can move on to stronger monsters that require more clicks to kill is a more "true" Diablo experience than the other game in which you create a character and click the mouse until monsters die, then collect gold and items to make you more powerful so that you can move on to stronger monsters that require more clicks to kill.

27. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 12:52 Pigeon

They're only doing online mode for two reasons, piracy and item duping in conjunction with the RMAH. Only time will tell how successful they are at preventing those two things. I think the RMAH is going to be a cluster fuck anyways.

The thing about wanting it to be a multiplayer game was just pure BS, especially for it being his 'number one' reason.

26. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 12:11 PropheT

Verno wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:48:
So to steer the discussion away from flamebait, what's everyone playing?

Wizard single player I think, and having a LAN party the weekend after release...will probably go with monk for that, a class I didn't expect to like but sort of fell in love with during the beta.

25. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 12:10 eRe4s3r

It's also what every reply to such a post explains.. what do people not get when we talk about offline mode? Offline mode, as in a mode only played OFFLINE?

Are there people not understanding the concept of offline? We don't want open b.net or bullshit, we want a SP offline mode. Without AH, without anyone seeing it, or being able to join it. With mod support!

24. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 12:08 eRe4s3r

The funny thing is, had Diablo 3 had an official online/offline mode system the crack for Diablo 3 would only give access to the Offline mode, now what Blizzard has done is make it so that the crack to make Diablo 3 offline requires emulating battle.net, and as such creates a dozen more options, including online play with cracked version, mods, custom servers, lan play.

All features D3 does not offer. It's like someone at Blizzard does this intentionally to piss of gamers and to make sure the warez version is always superior. I don't get it.

What happened to "customer is king" ? King says offline mode, and gets.. bullshit PR excuses

23. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 11:57 deqer

InBlack wrote on May 7, 2012, 10:43:
wants to keep the integral part of the Diablo 'feel'
That's what Runic(the makers of Diablo 2) are doing with Torchlight II. If you want a true Diablo experience like the past, then get Torchlight II, and for god sakes watch the stream. The dev plays and answers questions live(from anyone asking) in the stream that you won't see answers anywhere else, or any gaming news site or magazine. His answers will sell you on TL2 immediately.

22. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 11:54 avianflu

the witchdoctor looks really interesting V, but I am not going near this game until a year after release. The auction house setup and no off-line has me happy to wait.

21. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 11:54 Bucky

Verno wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:48:

I've settled on a minion heavy Witchdoctor for my Hardcore character and a meteor spam Wizard for playing with friends/family. I was tempted to try a melee-only Demon Hunter build, it looks pretty doable but I'm worried it won't have Barb/Monk survivability on higher difficulties.

Barbarian. I prefer to just wade in and keep swinging until everything is dead, and when I'm not playing a Barb I still try to do it. After that, I've no idea. I really like the way the Wizard plays, but I may roll a Witch Doctor second just because that class doesn't seem to be getting as much love.

The melee DH would definitely be a challenge at higher difficulties; the Monk and Barbarian get a natural 30% damage resist bonus specifically because they are melee characters.

20. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 11:51 Nomaar

Darks wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:19:
Thats called being lazy as a designer and a developer. to not implement a camera is foolish in todayís gaming. Developers implement this style of camera so they can hide how lazy they were when they built the engine. This all falls back to how lazy Blizz got with Starcrap 2. All they did with that game was candy coat it with a new paint job. Thatís all it was in the end, Blizz has become complacent and because of it they have gotten lazy about implementations and new ideas.

Verno, On the offline mode, I would have to say that I think this all falls back to how duping was out of control and Blizz is needing to put an end to that because of the real world AH they implemented now. You canít have a bunch of hackers taking advantage of the market for free.

Although I doubt you'll look at it since it sounds like you want to be angry, the rationale behind the Diablo 3 artwork is all explained here: http://gdcvault.com/play/1015306/The-Art-of-Diablo.

Aside from its better aesthetics, and the fact that most Diablo fans probably could give a flying f--k about a rotating camera, the fixed camera also allows for better performance since the environment doesn't have to be fully rendered in 3D.

19. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 11:48 Verno

I've settled on a minion heavy Witchdoctor for my Hardcore character and a meteor spam Wizard for playing with friends/family. I was tempted to try a melee-only Demon Hunter build, it looks pretty doable but I'm worried it won't have Barb/Monk survivability on higher difficulties.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

18. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 11:44 SirKnight

I'm glad you can't rotate the camera around. Doing so would not feel like Diablo. A fixed camera is not a bad thing at all.  

17. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 11:28 Lord Tea

deqer wrote on May 7, 2012, 10:32:
"and why they will not incorporate an 'offline mode."

Really? Because all I got from this interview was the same bullshit they've been feeding us before?

yep, Blizzard has changed a lot since the original Diablo. Bullshit-feeding has become one of their strengths and tons of brainwashed people will buy their corporate-greed game, just because of its sounding name. And they will spam forums for not being able to play the game and all kinds of DRM-related issues.
The good thing is, despite Blizzard refusing to add an offline mode, others WILL make offline modes for this game.

UPSA = United Police States of America

16. removed May 7, 2012, 11:22 Alamar

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 7, 2012, 14:50.

15. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 11:19 Darks

Bucky wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:05:
nin wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:02:
I'm happy they kept the view isometric though, it just wouldn't have felt right from a third or first person viewpoint.

I would have at least taken a rotatable camera.

That would have been nice, but I've seen both Blizzard and Runic comment on how much more work it would create when it came to level design; with a fixed camera they know what you can see and only have to build the levels from that perspective.

Thats called being lazy as a designer and a developer. to not implement a camera is foolish in todayís gaming. Developers implement this style of camera so they can hide how lazy they were when they built the engine. This all falls back to how lazy Blizz got with Starcrap 2. All they did with that game was candy coat it with a new paint job. Thatís all it was in the end, Blizz has become complacent and because of it they have gotten lazy about implementations and new ideas.

Verno, On the offline mode, I would have to say that I think this all falls back to how duping was out of control and Blizz is needing to put an end to that because of the real world AH they implemented now. You canít have a bunch of hackers taking advantage of the market for free.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2012, 11:28.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

134 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo