Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It was a semi-productive weekend here at the BlueTower, but I'll call it a win, just because we solved the coffee supply crisis that we ran into at the end of last week. We were out Friday morning, so I fixed myself a cup of tea, which I guess still left me a little caffeine-deprived, because later in the day when a huge headache set in, I was fuzzy enough that I didn't recall the coffee incident and didn't realize another cup of tea would have set me right, which the aspirin I took did not. I guess the surprise is how much of a jolt I still end up getting from the coffee, considering I have settled on a total of one cup a day, but the fact that my mug is 16 ounces and my coffee is strong enough to take the paint off your car are factors in this as well.

Wide Awake Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Putt More Base.
Deadswitch.
Stories: Proposed world’s tallest building would be 3,445 feet high. Thanks HARDOCP.
Science: Secretive Blue Origin Reveals New Details of Spacecraft Plans.
Media: Easy Mode. NSFW. Soo funky. Thanks Ryan/Gabe.
Epic Stop Motion (Gundam) Battle.
"Three Point Landing" Compilation.
US Olympian Lopez Lomong miscounts laps in 5k mishap.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2012, 09:57 Mr. Tact

Ratty wrote on May 7, 2012, 12:12:
Agreed. I gave up all caffeine a few years back and was surprised what a difference it made. I was calmer and slept better. I did it by going to half decaf for a couple of weeks, then quarter decaf for a while. Nowdays I just have one large half decaf latte every morning.
My experience was far different. After "detoxing" I noticed no difference. After a month of no caffeine I went back to my "crazy addict" levels. But then I was never having sleep difficulty or problems with being calm. Would I be better without it? Maybe. But if my blood pressure and everything else is fine, I'd prefer being able to consume my tasty caffeinated drinks.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2012, 08:48 nin

rocketpcguy wrote on May 9, 2012, 01:36:
i keep hearing people saying that caffeine is addictive so thats why they are trying to get rid of it; but is there really any ill effects with caffeine directly (not sugar) outside addiction? never mind what happens if you dont have coffee after being addicted, whats really wrong with a mug a day?

(btw: Hoop's lessened knee & elbow pain almost certainly had nothing to do with the caffeine cut; it would have gone away even if he had tea/coffee; 6 months is enough time for these sort of things to heal itself).

While I can't speak for anyone else, I can personally vouch that caffeine can cause other health complications (which I'd rather not describe in detail). My doctor has told me I need to avoid it as much as humanly possible. So I drink a lot of water (with flavor packets, although anything that says "energy"? Caffeine!) although I sometimes sneak a pop at lunch.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2012, 01:36 rocketpcguy

i keep hearing people saying that caffeine is addictive so thats why they are trying to get rid of it; but is there really any ill effects with caffeine directly (not sugar) outside addiction? never mind what happens if you dont have coffee after being addicted, whats really wrong with a mug a day?

(btw: Hoop's lessened knee & elbow pain almost certainly had nothing to do with the caffeine cut; it would have gone away even if he had tea/coffee; 6 months is enough time for these sort of things to heal itself).

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 17:20 Hoop

Been off the bean for a total of 18 months now tea included, I just drink lemon & ginger herbal bags. I did'nt feel totally free of the withdrawal for a good 6 weeks the worst being troughs of depression & weird disturbing dreams. After about 6 months I noticed much less joint pain to a bad knee & elbow which I was'nt expecting & has probably been the biggest benefit.
Oh & probably blood pressure not that Ive ever had trouble with it but just before Easter I aced a blood pressure test nursing a serious hangover.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2012, 18:03.

Um .. Behind you...

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 16:51 Cutter

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking coffee."

P.S. Warlock is tomorrow! Yay! Make sure you all buy it!

This comment was edited on May 7, 2012, 17:18.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 16:44 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on May 7, 2012, 12:25:
Creston wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:46:
If not having coffee for a few hours gives you a huge headache, you have some serious, serious caffeine-addiction issues, Blue. I know, because I was in the exact same position.

I would recommend just cutting that final cup of coffee out, suffer through the misery for a week, and be free of that shit. You'll feel a ton better if you do.

Creston

You ex-coffee people, you're all so preachy.

I never drank coffee, I can't stand the taste. But I was a pretty heavy soda / pop guzzler, and quitting the shit definitely made me feel a lot better. Admittedly, it also meant I was getting a lot less high fructose corn syrup, so it's hard to figure out which was causing which.

It's not really hard to figure out though, that if you get headaches if you skimp on caffeine for a few hours, you probably should be cutting back a little.

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 13:06 Pigeon

Capella wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:42:
They should make caffeine you can snort. Think how quick that would kick in!

Pretty sure they have that. There's an inhaler called aeroshot.

12. for players of minecraft... May 7, 2012, 12:39 space captain

http://thaumcraft2.wikispaces.com/

currently running that mod along with http://www.minecraftdl.com/tale-of-kingdoms-mod/

its an awesome combination

system requirements: imagination

Go forth, and kill!

11. Coffee May 7, 2012, 12:36 Steelcamp

@Agent.X7 -- Exactly, the whiskey first thing in the morning is a little tough without some coffee mixed in. otherwise the day sucks without it :-)  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 12:25 Agent.X7

If not having coffee for a few hours gives you a huge headache, you have some serious, serious caffeine-addiction issues, Blue. I know, because I was in the exact same position.

I would recommend just cutting that final cup of coffee out, suffer through the misery for a week, and be free of that shit. You'll feel a ton better if you do.

Creston

You ex-coffee people, you're all so preachy.

I quit smoking, but there's 0 chance of me quitting coffee unless it's going to cause my immediate demise. (Besides, how would I get my daily dose of whiskey without my coffee? )

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 12:12 Ratty

If not having coffee for a few hours gives you a huge headache, you have some serious, serious caffeine-addiction issues, Blue
Agreed. I gave up all caffeine a few years back and was surprised what a difference it made. I was calmer and slept better. I did it by going to half decaf for a couple of weeks, then quarter decaf for a while. Nowdays I just have one large half decaf latte every morning.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 11:55 CommunistHamster

There are android and iphone apps to chart the levels of caffeine in your blood. Maybe that'd be handy?  

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 11:46 Creston

Creston

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 11:42 Capella

They should make caffeine you can snort. Think how quick that would kick in!  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 10:46 InBlack

Well...I guess it beats amphetamines....  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 10:42 Wallshadows

My roomy used to leave just enough coffee grinds to make half a cup of coffee and that marked the start to a terrible day.

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 10:32 Mashiki Amiketo

Acleacius wrote on May 7, 2012, 10:16:
Iirc 16oz of coffee is equal to four 8oz black tea and eight 8oz green tea.
True on that. Caffine from tea also metabolizes differently, meaning you don't feel it the same way you do from coffee.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 10:16 Acleacius

Iirc 16oz of coffee is equal to four 8oz black tea and eight 8oz green tea.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2012, 10:11 nin

US Olympian Lopez Lomong miscounts laps in 5k mishap.

Damn that guy is fast...funny video. Glad he still won. Like the way he looks over his shoulder right before the 2 minute mark.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo