Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc?

A forum thread on GameFAQs has indications that Risen 2: Dark Waters may be the latest game to ship with what's supposed to be future DLC included on the retail disc. The thread outlines the discovery, and spawns one of those heated discussions over the ethics of making content on the game disc dependant on a future. Thanks Blend Games.

View
75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

15. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 16:30 Acleacius

Kajetan wrote on May 6, 2012, 15:25:
The publisher is responsible for the descision to offer DLC. The technical implementation however ...
I have no idea where your getting this info from, that's like saying the developer is responsible for choosing and implementing drm. Look your just looking for a excuse to emo-blame PB for some personal grudge go for it. Just pretending PB or any other HIRED/CONTRACTED developer makes sales, marketing, publishing, content and copy production is nonsense unless you have any credible info saying otherwise.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 15:51 TychoCelchuuu

Riker wrote on May 6, 2012, 15:29:
I'm not sure I see the big deal. It's advertised as DLC, so you know it'll cost extra money to access it. I don't see how it being already available, or already on the disc, makes any difference.
It's a problem because the "D" in "DLC" stands for "downloaded" or "downloadable" or whatever, and the reason it stands for that is because they traditionally couldn't have non-downloaded DLC because it was content released after the game came out, and thus it couldn't be on the disc. So it was fine to pay extra for it because you bought they game, then they made more stuff for it, so you bought that. In this case, they've made them game, then arbitrarily sectioned off some part of it so they can charge you more for it. This makes people annoyed because it's not clear why this stuff couldn't just come with the original game.

13. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 15:29 Riker

I'm not sure I see the big deal. It's advertised as DLC, so you know it'll cost extra money to access it. I don't see how it being already available, or already on the disc, makes any difference.  

12. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 15:25 Kajetan

Acleacius wrote on May 6, 2012, 13:37:
Yeah, this sucks and I'm a PB fan(man? :p ) but in all honesty it's the publisher who calls the shots like this. Culprit? Deep Silver.
The publisher is responsible for the descision to offer DLC. The technical implementation however ...

11. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 15:11 Mordecai Walfish

Banned.

10. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 15:00 Dev

Its on the disc! But "we didn't have time to certify it see, its just day 0 DLC that we didn't have time to go through the process"

SUUUURE

9. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 14:52 killer_roach

Bopper wrote on May 6, 2012, 13:56:
DLC should be extra content that is made after development. The price of the DLC goes towards paying for the production of the new content. This kind of day one DLC or any kind of day one DLC is just plain balls.

I'd argue that DLC is a method of price discrimination, extracting more than the MSRP from people who clearly are enjoying the game enough to pay more than MSRP over the game's life cycle. If anything, it's a nod to the realization that they can't raise the sticker price of the game beyond $60 without encountering pushback.

That being said, who wants to bet that this sort of thing ends up further incentivizing digital distribution on PC? No need to distribute anything more than the base game until absolutely necessary.

8. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 14:13 Quboid

WarpCrow wrote on May 6, 2012, 13:33:
Quboid wrote on May 6, 2012, 13:05:
Isn't Risen 2 a bit ... rough? What are their priorities?

It's a Piranha Bytes game. If there's one thing these German developers are known for (aside from Crytek), it's for delivering rough, buggy games. The first Risen was the same way, the Gothic series, Sacred... QA is just not a priority. I was looking forward to the way Risen 2 looked, but seeing that and the fact that it proudly had Day 1 DLC that wasn't even available to pre-orders (and was reportedly mediocre on top)... meh. One less game for the wishlist.

Yeah but if they're giving their all towards making a good game and are just over-ambitious then I have a certain amount of sympathy. If they have been syphoning off resources to make DLC when they could have been making a more polished game, then I've zero sympathy.

- Quboid

7. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 13:56 Bopper

DLC should be extra content that is made after development. The price of the DLC goes towards paying for the production of the new content. This kind of day one DLC or any kind of day one DLC is just plain balls.  
- Boppa

Playing: Torchlight 2, Civ V, Pikmin 3

Waiting for: Beyond:Two Souls, Watchdogs, EQNext, a GOOD Alien(s) game/movie

6. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 13:37 Acleacius

Yeah, this sucks and I'm a PB fan(man? :p ) but in all honesty it's the publisher who calls the shots like this. Culprit? Deep Silver.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 13:36 Tumbler

DLC has always been about a strategy to sell the content you make in a normal dev cycle in waves so you get $60 for the release then a trail over time.

The studios making content after release the way consumers think of DLC are an anomoly. (or a lie, or a marketing trick) It's all ready to go on disc and the desire to make a profit is getting to the point where they don't even make enough content to fill the disc for the $60 release and might as well ship the game with all the dlc from the start because I'm sure MS charges more to download large content packs than those 100kb keys.

It's a race to the bottom.

The big publishers are all about getting the least expensive game possible (as in we paid the devs peanuts!!!) and then have something to sell for as much money as possible. (as in they get this, this and this for $60, then this and this are DLC and cost $5 extra) In the past all this content was simply one item for $60. Now it's multiple items that cost more than $60 and it's shorter, built by people who will work for peanuts, and the company is likely already shopping the sequel around to guys that will work for less on the next version.

It's a race to the bottom.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

4. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 13:33 RollinThundr

A Piranha Bytes game rough and absolutely unpolished? That is unbelievable!!

3. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 13:33 WarpCrow

It's a Piranha Bytes game. If there's one thing these German developers are known for (aside from Crytek), it's for delivering rough, buggy games. The first Risen was the same way, the Gothic series, Sacred... QA is just not a priority. I was looking forward to the way Risen 2 looked, but seeing that and the fact that it proudly had Day 1 DLC that wasn't even available to pre-orders (and was reportedly mediocre on top)... meh. One less game for the wishlist.

2. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 13:23 Annex

Priorities are to make as much money through as little effort as possible. Just vote with your wallet. Torchlight 2? Warlock: Master of the Arcane? $20 each.

1. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 13:05 Quboid

- Quboid

75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo