Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer

The Elder Scrolls Online Website is online as home to the just-revealed MMO installment in Bethesda's RPG series. This is more-or-less a placeholder at the moment, but it does offer an announcement trailer bringing the game's logo into view following a dramatic buildup. No gameplay or cinematics are included, but there is also now a new screenshot on the Bethesda Blog.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 20:11 Eirikrautha

Jivaro wrote on May 5, 2012, 13:56:
HorrorScope wrote on May 5, 2012, 13:25:
Not sure what the fuss is. If it's good I'll buy it, if it sucks, I won't. We'll see if they have a different take on MMO's. I know one thing a standard effort will not net them the $$$ they think it will.

Rationality on the Internet? Damn, the Mayans must be right....
Why on earth would I put any stock in the predictions of a people who predicted the end of the world, but not their OWN demise??? Tongue

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 20:02 Eirikrautha

^Drag0n^ wrote on May 5, 2012, 00:33:
I love how everyone is shitting all over this game before they even see a screenshot of descent quality and gameplay.

Yeah, that's the problem. The quality seems to have descended to the level of crappy MMOs... which doesn't represent the actual appeal of an Elder Scrolls game. Face it, outside of the size factor, most people play TES games in order to be pricks or gods (and the game design pretty much reinforces that). The "pricks"-thing was done to perfection by UO, and an entire MMO full of overpowered characters will get you what? <in my best Incredibles voice> When everyboby is a god, nobody is...</Incredibles>

38. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 19:44 Jerykk

^Drag0n^ wrote on May 5, 2012, 18:55:
NKD wrote on May 5, 2012, 01:09:
I love how everyone is shitting all over this game before they even see a screenshot of descent quality and gameplay.

What's a screenshot or a video of some guy swinging a sword going to tell me that an article with actual facts does not? We already know, without resorting to any speculation at all, that this game has almost nothing in common with the TES series gameplay-wise.

We aren't pulling our disappointment out of our ass this time, though admittedly that goes on a lot around here so I can't blame you for assuming that.

No, I'm pretty sure it's being pulled out of asses.

It's your prerogative, though. I'd rather see how the game plays and at least get a description of the game as designed before crapping on a dev team's work.

But that's just me.

Have you not read the Game Informer preview? It has quite a few screenshots showcasing the cartoony art style. It also describes the lack of first-person perspective and the hotbar-based, non-real-time combat. Also, the freeform leveling system has been replaced with a class-based system. First-person perspectives, real-time combat, realistic visuals and freeform leveling are defining elements of the ES series and the MMO does not have them.

From what I saw and read in the GI preview, ES Online is just another generic fantasy MMO with the Elder Scrolls brand tacked on.

37. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 19:00 Dev

Slashman wrote on May 4, 2012, 23:58:
This just feels like the classic case of: 'Everyone and their sister is doing an MMO. We too, need a pointless blackhole in which to toss good money, which otherwise could have been used to create actual interesting additions to the Elder Scrolls game franchise.'
You forgot the "since WoW has 10 million+ subscribers, all we need to do is build it and they will come. Even if its total crap, we can build it and get millions of people to pay for it"
If WoW wasn't around, there'd be a lot fewer MMOs. Everyone looks at their subscriber base and assumes thats the kinda numbers they will get.

Reality is that non-WoW MMOs get more like 100k subscribers IF they are lucky and good. Thats the kinda numbers that MMO's should be designed to be sustainable at. Instead they end up being designed to fail if they don't get millions of subscribers.

36. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 18:55 ^Drag0n^

NKD wrote on May 5, 2012, 01:09:

What's a screenshot or a video of some guy swinging a sword going to tell me that an article with actual facts does not? We already know, without resorting to any speculation at all, that this game has almost nothing in common with the TES series gameplay-wise.

We aren't pulling our disappointment out of our ass this time, though admittedly that goes on a lot around here so I can't blame you for assuming that.

No, I'm pretty sure it's being pulled out of asses.

It's your prerogative, though. I'd rather see how the game plays and at least get a description of the game as designed before crapping on a dev team's work.

But that's just me.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

35. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 17:51 hello newman

bah whatever...
if it will suck at least Bethesda will be forced to outdo themselves on TES 6 to save the series from the flames/ we win.

34. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 14:31 Agent.X7

HorrorScope wrote on May 5, 2012, 14:08:
deqer wrote on May 5, 2012, 13:45:
If it's good I'll buy it, if it sucks, I won't.
How are you going to know if an MMO sucks or not before you buy it? lol...

Not even a trial account would answer all your questions.

You'd need to play 500 hours first--and hopefully by the 100 hour mark, you'll be able to figure out how much of a fucking grind/timesink it is for your $/month.; you need to play it a lot longer than a trial to get a feel for if this game, get to end-game, and see if there's anything in the game that is going to suddenly stab you in the back and make you think to yourself "why did I get into this." and then you'll be ruined because you'll be like "welp, i already gone this far, I might as well keep going..."

Sad.

How would I know? Hmmm... Jeeze that's a tough one. Hmmm....

I guess if my fear levels are that high, then how would I ever know... about much anything?

LOL. If you need to play 100 hours to see if it's any good, they totally fucked up the design. If it doesn't suck me in in the first hour, it's trash.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

33. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 14:08 HorrorScope

You'd need to play 500 hours first--and hopefully by the 100 hour mark, you'll be able to figure out how much of a fucking grind/timesink it is for your $/month.; you need to play it a lot longer than a trial to get a feel for if this game, get to end-game, and see if there's anything in the game that is going to suddenly stab you in the back and make you think to yourself "why did I get into this." and then you'll be ruined because you'll be like "welp, i already gone this far, I might as well keep going..."

Sad.

How would I know? Hmmm... Jeeze that's a tough one. Hmmm....

I guess if my fear levels are that high, then how would I ever know... about much anything?

32. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 13:57 wtf_man

As one that has played many MMO's, one can tell within the first 10 levels or so, if it's going to suck or not. If it's typical MMO mechanics... It is going to suck... or at least be boring within a short period of time, IMO. (Regardless of polish vs. bugs).

The same shit with different paint, doesn't cut it anymore.

At least ArenaNet is thinking outside of the box for the most part... but there are still some "typical MMO" crap mechanics in the underlying game.

I don't think Frior can pull off an "ArenaNet type genre changer", though. Which doesn't look good for the TES IP.

31. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 13:56 Jivaro

Not sure what the fuss is. If it's good I'll buy it, if it sucks, I won't. We'll see if they have a different take on MMO's. I know one thing a standard effort will not net them the $$$ they think it will.

Rationality on the Internet? Damn, the Mayans must be right....

30. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 13:45 deqer

Sad.

29. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 13:38 Agent.X7

My beef is that Heroes Journey had a dozen interesting things that they were doing with their own game that haven't shown up in any game made on their engine. I know for a fact that those things worked, because I had a copy of the engine and dev platform for it. (I was almost hired by Simu but they stopped production.)

Where is the drawing shapes on the ground for special abilities? Where is the interactive environment?

Bioware took their engine and made a bland WoW in space with interactive story parts. I don't hold much hope for Beth...er...Zenimax.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

28. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 13:25 HorrorScope

27. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 12:27 Krakum

It's unfortunate, but MMO's appear to be the last great bastion for PC exclusive titles. At least for AAA titles... I guess for that reason alone I'm hoping it is successful.

26. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 12:17 ColoradoHoudini

After playing the GW2 beta.. I am spoiled. If this game doesnt have as much as GW2.. no thanks.  

25. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 11:53 wtf_man

hello newman wrote on May 5, 2012, 10:50:
I can't wait for someone to interview Todd Howard about this
Rain wrote on May 5, 2012, 11:03:
Its not like he'll be able to speak his mind, he'll be towing the company line. That's if he was against it.

Right. Howard will act enthusiastic, whether he really is, or not. It's not like he has much choice in the matter.

24. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 11:32 Dades

Illumin wrote on May 5, 2012, 04:35:
Excited over the potential of this game. Im not talking about vid here or leaked info on a game that's at least 1.5 years away. Sure it dosnt look that great, so what you think its gonna have top of the line graphics right now showing off tons of cool powers for a game that isn't even in alpha yet? Get real man you guys act like this game is coming out in 5 or 6 months.

Go look at the leaked magazine info then get back to us about your excitement level.

23. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 11:12 everyone

Would a vaguely similar art style have been too much to ask for? It looks like every other low-rent MMO. If it wasn't for the Ordinatorish bloke, I wouldn't have guessed it was TES in a million years.  

22. Foolzatch@gmail.com May 5, 2012, 11:03 Rain

Its not like he'll be able to speak his mind, he'll be towing the company line. That's if he was against it.  

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

21. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 10:50 hello newman

the horror, the horror

I can't wait for someone to interview Todd Howard about this

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo