Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month?

Siliconera has word on the discovery of a British Board of Film Classification rating for a Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition. This includes words this is to be released in the U.K. on June 30th, with the timeframe probably more of a revelation than plans for the inevitable GotY SKU.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 6, 2012, 19:57 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on May 6, 2012, 12:34:
You could just run past 99% of the zombies.

You could, but then you'd lose out on a lot of XP and loot.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 6, 2012, 12:34 PHJF

You could just run past 99% of the zombies.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

28. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 6, 2012, 02:41 Prez

Yeah the spawns were annoying, but they were nothing compared to the ridiculousness of Far Cry 2!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 22:38 Jerykk

Prez wrote on May 5, 2012, 15:01:
Dead Island was a great game I thought. Aside from the stupid ending sequence, I enjoyed every minute of it. I waited to get it once the typical launch drama the vast majority of games launched today seem unable to avoid was long past. Really, it's practically a requirement to wait at least a month before buying a new game these days unless you like bugs, glitches, and CTD's.

I enjoyed Dead Island too. That said, it did have some questionable design choices, such as the respawn logic. Basically, instead of having zombies randomly respawn, the designers opted to just completely reset areas. So all the specifically placed zombies and scripted events would always be the same every time you went through the area.

26. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 15:32 osage no onna

RollinThundr wrote on May 5, 2012, 14:01:
Obama thinks he's a God there's no doubt there. Never seen a US president more narcissistic than Oblamer, that's for sure.

Has he asked the troops to pray for him yet?

25. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 15:01 Prez

Dead Island was a great game I thought. Aside from the stupid ending sequence, I enjoyed every minute of it. I waited to get it once the typical launch drama the vast majority of games launched today seem unable to avoid was long past. Really, it's practically a requirement to wait at least a month before buying a new game these days unless you like bugs, glitches, and CTD's.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 14:01 RollinThundr

El Pit wrote on May 5, 2012, 10:31:
ForgedReality wrote on May 5, 2012, 09:47:
El Pit wrote on May 5, 2012, 04:26:
ForgedReality wrote on May 5, 2012, 01:17:
May as well call Obama President of the Millennium if Dead Island was GOTY...

Compared to the only other POTUS of this millennium, Obama is GOD. Compared to some of the last millennium, not so much. Just sayin'...

Just making sure you realize a millennium is 1,000 years... I didn't mean THIS millennium, I meant for the last millennium.

Sorry, I didn't know you were talking about the last millennium. But in our 3rd millennium, there's only Obama and "We know where Iraq is hiding the wmd" Bush, jr. And compared to little Bush, Obama is god-like.

Btw: Is Dead Island now available in Australia or is it one of the victims of OZ games probhibition?

Obama thinks he's a God there's no doubt there. Never seen a US president more narcissistic than Oblamer, that's for sure.

23. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 12:48 Moog

Dead On Arrival Island.
Game Of The Year.
Does Not Compute!

22. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 10:31 El Pit

ForgedReality wrote on May 5, 2012, 09:47:

Compared to the only other POTUS of this millennium, Obama is GOD. Compared to some of the last millennium, not so much. Just sayin'...

Just making sure you realize a millennium is 1,000 years... I didn't mean THIS millennium, I meant for the last millennium.

Sorry, I didn't know you were talking about the last millennium. But in our 3rd millennium, there's only Obama and "We know where Iraq is hiding the wmd" Bush, jr. And compared to little Bush, Obama is god-like.

Btw: Is Dead Island now available in Australia or is it one of the victims of OZ games probhibition?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

21. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 09:47 ForgedReality

20. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 04:26 El Pit

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

19. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 03:24 jacobvandy

I also really liked the game. Not GOTY by any means, but it's a fun open-world FPS/RPG. I didn't even play much co-op, just spent a ton of time by myself. But then, I did the same thing with Borderlands, so that's partly my tastes.  

18. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 02:56 osage no onna

I really enjoyed what little I played of it and have been wanting to go back, so I guess I'll be one of the few fools who this was made for I love tropical islands and whacking zombies and can look past just about any number of flaws if I'm determined to!  

17. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 01:36 LittleMe

Acleacius wrote on May 5, 2012, 00:10:
Worth every bit of the $35 I spent, had a blast playing this Coop and it's the reason I finally joined Steam. If the only difference in GotY is DLC, pass on it and just buy the regular game, since for the most part DLC sucks in this game.

It's true it was consolized, but easily editable for PC gamers. Once modded it looked and ran amazingly, with the Resort area being extremely well done. This is a problem Techland has had all along, they are console *hores, can't seem to wrap there head around the whole PC thing. However the biggest problems they've had their past game(s) CoJ, which did get fixed? Open world and Coop are done really well here.

Are there actual specifics about the complaints of the trailer not portraying the actual game, I didn't notice?

The main thing afaik is there really isn't a better Coop game, certainly nothing this well done in a long time.

Yes I agree. I also enjoyed this game a lot. Took me 30hrs to finish the campaign (coop). I didn't rush it. Many times the graphics wowed me. The world is varied enough, the textures are good and colorful. Sounds are good. Weapons customizing system is very well done. It's not a perfect game, no. Roughly 8/10 for me.

Will still go back to it occasionally. Sometimes there's graphical stuttering when moving, but when standing still it's gone.

Coop was innovatively implemented where if someone else online was near you in the game-world, you could join them or they could join you in progress. No need to manually setup a coop session. It just worked. You'd keep all your levels/guns/ammo/etc when joining someone else's game. It's more casual but it worked. For small scale coop like this, no dedicated servers are needed. You can also join other players via STEAM friends drop-down menu.

I'm very much hoping they make an improved sequel that is still true to this one. A patch would be nice for this GOTY release. Agree it seems like a cash-in and doesn't offer anything more to us.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

16. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 01:25 Acleacius

Dades wrote on May 5, 2012, 00:25:
What was so great about the coop mechanics? You could play with other people in the most basic sense but about the only actual coop elements were a bunch of auras and mobs got a bunch of HP. I don't remember any other synergies or skill interplay.
Like I said, nothing better, if you find a better Coop game let us know! Once we removed all the bullshit bloom, fov, fog and dust the Resort area looked amazing. Never said it had great gameplay, great gameplay would have been Dark Messiah melee.
If your not a fan of Coop or Zombies action RPGs, there's nothing for your here.

The story is from a book, which is being made into a movie and yes Techland screwed up the ending, it was stupid. As a writer from Bioware mentioned in a thread (we were complaining about the ending to Neverwinter Nights 2).."when you run short on time and/or money the ending usually suffers. This is becasue developers know most people won't make it to the end of a 40 hour game and anyone who does, is mostly likely a fan who will grumble and complain but still buy your next game."

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 01:17 ForgedReality

This comment was edited on May 5, 2012, 03:46.

14. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 00:51 PHJF

Completely drained a couple weeks of my life on Dead Island, but I'm still not silly enough to call it GotY. Too many rough edges.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 00:25 Dades

Acleacius wrote on May 5, 2012, 00:10:
The main thing afaik is there really isn't a better Coop game, certainly nothing this well done in a long time.

What was so great about the coop mechanics? You could play with other people in the most basic sense but about the only actual coop elements were a bunch of auras and mobs got a bunch of HP. I don't remember any other synergies or skill interplay.

The story was terrible, the animation and character models were terrible

The story must have been translated because it didn't even make any sense, the cutscenes weren't even well connected in the narrative. The animations were downright embarrassing in multiplayer, it was one of the few comic relief moments I remember while playing this.

It was an average game and it's had one real DLC so this reissue just seems like a blatant cash in.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2012, 00:34.

12. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 00:19 Trevellian

Who gave this Game of the Year?

The story was terrible, the animation and character models were terrible. Me and my friends barely made it through the entire story to the end without wanting to cut ourselves and regretting the money spent on this buggy piece of dung the entire time.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

11. Re: Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition Next Month? May 5, 2012, 00:10 Acleacius

Worth every bit of the $35 I spent, had a blast playing this Coop and it's the reason I finally joined Steam. If the only difference in GotY is DLC, pass on it and just buy the regular game, since for the most part DLC sucks in this game.

It's true it was consolized, but easily editable for PC gamers. Once modded it looked and ran amazingly, with the Resort area being extremely well done. This is a problem Techland has had all along, they are console *hores, can't seem to wrap there head around the whole PC thing. However the biggest problems they've had their past game(s) CoJ, which did get fixed? Open world and Coop are done really well here.

Are there actual specifics about the complaints of the trailer not portraying the actual game, I didn't notice?

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo