Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 6, 2012, 00:48 Ecthelion

VLC is a great media player, but there's an annoying DVD glitch that they've NEVER fixed. It cuts off about a second before the current DVD video is done. It's more noticeable in bonus features like outtakes and the like, but anything that ends suddenly will get cut off right before the end. I don't really use WMP to play movies, but WMC and PowerDVD don't have that same issue.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: No DVD/BluRay by default? May 5, 2012, 14:23 Dmitri_M

Hopefully they'll drop Windows Media Player too.  

21. Re: No DVD/BluRay by default? May 5, 2012, 14:05 ^Drag0n^

SpectralMeat wrote on May 5, 2012, 07:30:
Not sure what's the point of removing the optical drive support. I am not using mine every day but I still use it every now and then to make a new music CD for my car, or install the odd old game I have on a disc, or make a copy of a DVD I got for the kids so they do not scratch the original disc.

Then again I wasn't going to downgrade to Win8 anyways, my Win7 is perfectly fine and serves me right so it is all good.

They are not dropping support of the optical drives, just the support of them playing DVD and BluRay MOVIES.

Seems kinda like an ass move, but, whatever.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

20. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 13:28 Hyatus

DDI wrote on May 5, 2012, 12:43:
No one uses Media Player to watch DVDs is the reasoning. Microsoft has the telemetry to prove it. Never mind the fact that most OEM's have included DVD playback software for years.

Exactly this. The only time WMP gets used is when some file-type association hasn't been changed from my OS install.

19. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 12:49 Agent.X7

nin wrote on May 4, 2012, 23:52:
This should reduce the cost of a Windows license

I haven't had an optical drive in any of my PCs for years, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to more of you. Just ask yourself: when was the last time you really used your optical drive?

Let's face it - it's never been a particularly good storage medium, in terms of capacity, reliability, and speed.

Goddamn that fucker is high on the kool aide.

No kidding. I use my Blu-ray drive all the time to rip CDs to MP3s (fuck the shitty quality tunes sold as downloads), install games, software, and watch movies at work. (Both my laptop and desktop have BD drives.)

Never been a good storage medium? Yeah, OK.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

18. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 12:43 DDI

No one uses Media Player to watch DVDs is the reasoning. Microsoft has the telemetry to prove it. Never mind the fact that most OEM's have included DVD playback software for years.  

17. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 12:42 Sepharo

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 5, 2012, 10:01:
I guess I don't use DVD movies much anymore, but if I want to it's going to be a hassle with Win 8.

How is downloading VLC a hassle? If anything the default windows media player is more of a hassle. Everytime I've accidentally started that up it wants to do some install/registration: "Oh this is the first time you've used WMP would you like to reassociate all of your file types and connect to the internet to blah blah blah"...

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 10:01 Silicon Avatar

I guess I don't use DVD movies much anymore, but if I want to it's going to be a hassle with Win 8.

That's the thing. Now it's a marketing problem. "Win 8 charges you more to do what you could do for "free" in Win 7".

That's all people are going to hear.

That's sort of all I hear, honestly. I haven't seen anything about Win 8 that makes me want to upgrade at all.

15. Re: No DVD/BluRay by default? May 5, 2012, 09:31 Beamer

Not sure what's the point of removing the optical drive support. I am not using mine every day but I still use it every now and then to make a new music CD for my car, or install the odd old game I have on a disc, or make a copy of a DVD I got for the kids so they do not scratch the original disc.

Then again I wasn't going to downgrade to Win8 anyways, my Win7 is perfectly fine and serves me right so it is all good.

Not optical drive support, but licensed codec playback inclusion. You can read data DVDs but not licensed movie DVDs. Same reason the Wii didn't play DVDs - it's a costly license.

Given that more and more computers don't even have optical drives, given that I haven't used mine in ages, and given that most never watch movies on their computers via physical media, I think this is fine. Do you watch movies over physical media? Buy a cheap upgrade or use other software.
Not really the end of the world, as almost everyone that I've seen say "I still watch physical media on my computer all the time!" has followed it up with "not that I use Windows software to do so."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Nay! May 5, 2012, 09:14 Darth Guybrush

For cost effectiveness DVD/CD/BLURAY is cheaper. For a fall back option essential. I still have 3.5" floppies with data I can no longer access...  

13. Yup! May 5, 2012, 09:11 Darth Guybrush

Agreed! Win7 is just fine! Tried the Win8 preview and too many incompatibilities.

12. Re: No DVD/BluRay by default? May 5, 2012, 07:30 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 07:29 Burrito of Peace

At first, after reading that article, I thought much same as most people. My thought was "Wow, you are one technologically idiosyncratic motherfucker". Then I sat back and thought about the last time I had to burn or use an actual disc. I was forced to the last time I used TrueCrypt to encrypt a drive. A process that could easily be done to a USB stick.

I don't install my OS from a disc, I use RIS. Even then, if you can't or don't want to use RIS there are products like Clonezilla which make your installation and initial setup headaches go away. Hell, I don't get my initial installation of Windows from a DVD. I get it as an img file from Microsoft that I mount through Daemon Tools Lite and then copy to a USB stick to install from to create my image. This saves me hundreds of real hours every year. Also, my system is back up and running in less than 20 minutes with drivers and most commonly used apps fully installed.

Even moving data from one machine to another no longer requires anything other than a USB stick as every modern OS has USB support installed right out of the box. Unlike discs, USB sticks don't degrade after a relatively short period of time. Also, I can fit, potentially, 128GB on a single USB stick.

How do we get patches, drivers and software like VLC? We download them from the internet.

If we think about music, how many of us actually buy music on CDs anymore? I can't tell you what the last actual disc I purchased was, it's been years. I download everything musical now as digital goods. I don't even use optical media in my vehicle. I can either plug a storage device directly in to the USB port on the dash or stream via bluetooth from my phone.

The sole holdout is video because the MPAA and studios are clawing tooth and nail to hold on to a dead business model. However, I am reasonably sure that we'll see movies and TV shows become digital goods not too far in the future. Even so, we can get our hands on what we want right now in both legal and ethically questionable ways.

Even long term storage isn't necessarily a problem. Despite the short term spike in hard drive prices, drives were at the point where you could buy 2TB drives for less than a hundred bucks. Good ones, too. It's affordable enough now to setup a home NAS for backup and most mid to high end motherboards support RAID.

As much as we may want to scoff...the author is right. The optical disc is a dying technology. Now whether that justifies Microsoft's decision and whether their announcement is truthful is another discussion.

10. No DVD/BluRay by default? May 5, 2012, 07:07 Darth Guybrush

Author of said articale said he had no optical drive "for years". How the hell do you install still a a majority of software (games for example) without one?

Sometimes it is a LOT cheaper to buy online a physical product than it is via Steam or Origin I find. End result is they use one of the two or (cough) Games for Windows but without an optical drive you are screwed.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 03:37 eRe4s3r

Is because VLC doesn't install properly. Personally I use mpc-hc and my own set of custom render filters (mostly ffdshow) so yeah... installing MPC-hc is the first thing I do when I set up a new OS ;p  

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 02:39 NKD

Cool. Please remove some of your other inferior products from Windows as well so I don't have to remove them myself.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 02:35 mag

I removed WMP as soon as I installed Win7. VLC and Media Player Classic do all of the mediaplaying I need.  

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 01:48 Sepharo

Same here I've been moving around my optical from like 4 machines back... It's my Windows disc holder.  

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 01:21 eunichron

I can honestly say that I rarely, if ever, use the DVD drive on my desktop. In fact, the last time I can remember using it was to install Windows 7. I own 300+ DVDs, and ~40 Blu-Ray movies, and I use my PS3 exclusively to watch them. I used to burn music CDs all the time, but that's moot now since I can just load up my phone. With digital installs burning data discs isn't much of an issue anymore. The only possible reason I could see for having it would be for mobile movie watching, but for long distance travel I prefer to just listen to music anyway.

It is a stupid move, but given my situation, I can understand the reasoning.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 00:41 ^Drag0n^

nin wrote on May 4, 2012, 23:52:
This should reduce the cost of a Windows license

I haven't had an optical drive in any of my PCs for years, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to more of you. Just ask yourself: when was the last time you really used your optical drive?

Let's face it - it's never been a particularly good storage medium, in terms of capacity, reliability, and speed.

No kidding.

God, I use my PC for everything.

DVD as a medium is far from dead. Bluray? not even close. Purely a money-grab by MS to make you pay for a feature they used to give away.

Goddamn that fucker is high on the kool aide.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo