Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2012, 12:34 Verno

We've started focus testing Windows 8 at the office here on regular users and none of can stand it for more than 10 minutes. One sales guy threw a fit even, it was kind of hilarious to watch him struggle with Metro. I have no idea what the fuck Microsoft is thinking, people are so incredibly dependent on the traditional Start Menu that I can see the potential for this to be a disaster on the scale of Windows ME.

I don't think Microsoft realizes that this sort of unified interface simply can't work as is. They aren't even remotely well poised to cannibalize their own base with tablets and phones either, this type of crap is just going to push alternatives as people will bring that same resentment over with them across platforms.

They can't keep damaging the Windows brand forever, I.T won't tolerate this indefinitely and eventually this is going to have consequences for Office too.

Normally it's just for reinstalling Windows but that can be done from USB pen-drive now and Windows 8 makes that even easier. The problem is that DVDs and Blu-rays are horrible to use - it's honestly a lot more practical for me to just download everything. What they need is a Steam-like client for media. I'm kinda surprised that Valve hasn't already moved into media distribution, as it would be awesome to have sales on TV series and movies.

I remember an old interview with someone at Valve about this, I can't remember if it was Gabe or whoever. They basically said that the content holders are playing licensing hardball with everyone now due to Apple/iTunes being so successful but taking such high margins. They only want to support their own initiatives whenever possible it seems like and Valve just decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

The problem is that DVDs and Blu-rays are horrible to use - it's honestly a lot more practical for me to just download everything.

Indeed. The CD-R was built/licensed without much input or foresight from media corporations, the first consumer ones appearing something like 10 years after the CDROM. They didn't make that same mistake with DVD/Blu-Ray though, they are layered in copy protection on every step of the supply chain. All of it ultimately meaningless in everything except pissing off legit customers but oh well.

This comment was edited on May 4, 2012, 12:52.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. May 4, 10:02 Re: Morning Tech Bits nin
  9. May 4, 11:24  Re: Morning Tech Bits Necrophob
  10. May 4, 11:34   Re: Morning Tech Bits nin
  2. May 4, 10:02 Re: Morning Tech Bits necrosis
  3. May 4, 10:10  Re: Morning Tech Bits ASeven
  7. May 4, 11:07   Re: Morning Tech Bits Beamer
  13. May 4, 12:26    Re: Morning Tech Bits ASeven
  16. May 4, 12:47     Re: Morning Tech Bits Beamer