Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans

THQ announces Saints Row The Third: Enter The Dominatrix, a standalone expansion coming this fall for Volition's open world action sequel. Saying this is "no longer an April Fool's dream," they promise "the most requested gameplay features from the Saints Row community: freaking super powers." Here's a bit:

Enter the Dominatrix picks up immediately following the events of Saints Row: The Third. For centuries, alien warlord Zinyak has eyed Earth and its precious natural resources and females with a watchful eye. As he prepares an armada for invasion, he has only one worry: the Third Street Saints.

Once a simple street gang from Stilwater, the Saints have evolved into a global empire, replete with bombastic TV advertising and tasteful consumer products, the kind of TV advertising and consumer products that would give any alien warlord pause. Clearly, the Saints are the biggest badasses on Earth.

Now, in order to prepare his forces for domination, Zinyak captures the leader of the Saints and imprisons him in an elaborate virtual reality simulation. This simulation program looks and feels like Steelport, but it is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth. Here, you are a slave. Welcome... to the Dominatrix.

More details and a first look at Saints Row: The Third – Enter the Dominatrix will be available this summer. Make sure you're following Saints Row on Twitter and Facebook to stay up to date with the latest.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 5, 2012, 00:34 Wowbagger_TIP

NKD wrote on May 4, 2012, 23:27:
Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2012, 22:55:
However the discussion was whether SR3 ran at 30FPS or 60

The discussion was whether or not the game was properly optimized for ATI cards, which it isn't. You managed to get a decent framerate through brute force (Crossfire 6870s) but you shouldn't need to. Not for a port of a console game designed for 6-year-old hardware. If you have an Nvidia card, you get better performance with weaker hardware. And that's the whole problem. The game should run just as well on ATI cards as it does on Nvidia cards but that's not the case.

Sadly that's why I don't bother with ATI anymore. If it's not a driver problem, it's a lazy developer problem. Over the last 15 years that I've owned 3d graphics cards, Nvidia has consistently given me the fewest problems. If things change at some point, I'll reconsider, but slightly better performance in a couple of games isn't worth the uncertainty.

I don't know that it makes much difference. Over the last several years I've heard a lot of complaining about Nvidia cards too. I've had both Geforce and Radeon cards over the years, and aside from one card that stopped being able to handle anything but regular 2d desktop stuff, I haven't had any real problems.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 23:27 NKD

Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2012, 22:55:

The discussion was whether or not the game was properly optimized for ATI cards, which it isn't. You managed to get a decent framerate through brute force (Crossfire 6870s) but you shouldn't need to. Not for a port of a console game designed for 6-year-old hardware. If you have an Nvidia card, you get better performance with weaker hardware. And that's the whole problem. The game should run just as well on ATI cards as it does on Nvidia cards but that's not the case.

Sadly that's why I don't bother with ATI anymore. If it's not a driver problem, it's a lazy developer problem. Over the last 15 years that I've owned 3d graphics cards, Nvidia has consistently given me the fewest problems. If things change at some point, I'll reconsider, but slightly better performance in a couple of games isn't worth the uncertainty.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

35. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 22:55 Jerykk

34. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 22:51 Trevellian

Is it poor performance for my Rig? Yeah, it is.

Which it does, so I'm not going to complain about getting 60fps in a game I really enjoy.

I dunno, I'm just not that guy.

It's great to see FPS in the 100's in some games, but as long as a game runs 60 I can't be mad at them.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

33. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 18:14 Jerykk

Drezden wrote on May 4, 2012, 14:09:
Just to be sure Jerykk I just booted up SR3 with Fraps running.
Ran around and drove around for about 5 minutes just watching the FPS counter.
Lowest it hit was 48 or 49. Highest was 76 standing perfectly still.
Floated mostly in the 55-65 range though.
Recording dropped it to a pretty steady 30 but that is because I have it set to record at that obviously. So it will still be playable.

As Durandal mentioned, that's pretty underwhelming performance for two 6870s in Crossfire. With that setup, you should be getting at least 100 FPS.

For comparison, Just Cause 2 is a much more demanding game in terms of visuals, yet it runs significantly better. Same with Witcher 2.

32. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 17:52 durandal

That is still rather a poor performance considering your rig though.
I use single HD5870 and it constantly struggle ad goes below 30FPS.
Considering my friend who can run the game far better with 560Ti, it's not acceptable.

31. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 14:09 Trevellian

Just to be sure Jerykk I just booted up SR3 with Fraps running.
Ran around and drove around for about 5 minutes just watching the FPS counter.
Lowest it hit was 48 or 49. Highest was 76 standing perfectly still.
Floated mostly in the 55-65 range though.
Recording dropped it to a pretty steady 30 but that is because I have it set to record at that obviously. So it will still be playable.

This comment was edited on May 4, 2012, 14:21.

For the Republic

30. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 14:07 DG

Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2012, 01:57:
By "ran fine," do you mean you got a constant 60 FPS?
Yeah I should think so, so I never felt the need to enable an FPS counter... (6950 running stock clocks).

FWIW I enjoyed the game, nice break as it felt like the devs decided "fuck it, lets just do shit that sounds like fun". So forget compelling storyline or anything but say hello to fun time.

That said I feel reluctant to call it a "great game". Great fun sure, worth the time & money definitely, but doesn't have the "thing" that makes me think of it as a classic.

29. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 13:54 Trevellian

Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2012, 04:26:
Drezden wrote on May 4, 2012, 04:03:
Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2012, 01:04:
Dades wrote on May 3, 2012, 23:16:
Great game, definitely picking up the expansion. They really did right by PC gamers with the port this time too.

Depends on whether you're using an Nvidia or ATI card. ATI cards run the game like ass. Volition said that they were aware of the issues and would fix them but that was a months ago. Haven't heard a peep since then.

I ran it on 2 crossfired 6870's never once had a bad framerate.

Again, what do you consider "bad?" People have different levels of tolerance for framerates. I consider 30 FPS to be bad for a console port. Some people think 30 FPS is fine. If you have two 6870s in Crossfire, you should be getting a minimum of 60 FPS. Is that what you actually got?

I hardly consider 30 bad, anything above 30 is fine with me. 60 definitely looks better no doubt but I wouldn't cry about a game running at like 40 or 50.

That being said according to Fraps it always ran around 60 as far as I recall. Granted, actually filming anything with fraps would slow it down. I don't get why some games handle being filmed better than others, I don't really get any slowdown at all in Battlefield 3 while recording.

For the Republic

28. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 13:10 Jdrez

I feel so far behind as I only just got SR3 on my birthday last week. I'm loving it and it does run a lot better than SR2, but on my 4850 HD the framerate is kind of inconsistent even with settings turned down. Still looks great though and while on foot there's never any FR issues.

Nobody ever seems to mention how much prettier the city is compared to SR2's washed out blandness. Some areas of SR3 very closely resemble GTA4.

I do hope they fix the ATI issues though. Driving at super high speed can be frustrating when the FR dips.

27. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 11:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2012, 01:57:
By "ran fine," do you mean you got a constant 60 FPS?
I didn't monitor it or anything, but that's because it played smoothly for me. I'm sure I didn't have the settings jacked all the way up or anything, but it seemed fine to me.

As for the game itself, I like the humor and I'm glad they decided to just roll with the over-the-top parody thing. It works. It's fun. I hope they survive to make SR4.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

26. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 09:42 nin

See, I personally didn't like SR2 at all, but yet I loved SR3! Maybe I just never gave SR2 a fair shot at the time, but I remember finding it boring and lame, and I hated the driving physics... I certainly never finished it... But, with SR3, I was hooked right from the start, and consistently had fun throughout...

Exactly the same here. Tried 2 and wasn't impressed at all. Which surprised me all the more that 3 was so enjoyable.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 08:51 Verno

They both have their place, SR2 was when they were staying more true to the roots of the series. SR3 they just kind of let loose after setting up the story continuity. I really enjoyed both games, I should go back and play SR3 soon.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

24. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 08:24 NKD

Agrajag wrote on May 4, 2012, 06:50:
PHJF wrote on May 3, 2012, 23:41:
Bottom line is if you like Saints Row 2, this is more of the same (only this time it isn't such a piss-poor port).

See, I personally didn't like SR2 at all, but yet I loved SR3! Maybe I just never gave SR2 a fair shot at the time, but I remember finding it boring and lame, and I hated the driving physics... I certainly never finished it... But, with SR3, I was hooked right from the start, and consistently had fun throughout...

SR3 has a better hook in the beginning than SR2 and also they've sort of found their niche now. It's a total parody of criminal organizations. In SR2 it sometimes felt like they forgot what they are doing and relapsed into a kind of awkward and half-assed "super serious story mode." Hard to take the story seriously when you just finished spraying down the police with human waste.

They've thrown away almost all of that pretense in SR3 and the game is better for it. They have their own identity now. Where GTA has gone the Mafia 1 & 2 route of a linear story-driven game with an open world only as window dressing, SR3 gives you a lot more freedom up front and the story is just there to give a vague sense of direction for players who need it, and is used as a mechanic to expose hilarious over-the-top gameplay elements that the player might otherwise overlook.

I think the games industry has become way too focused on story, especially linear narratives with combat peppered in and no real choice. There are lots of mediums in which you can have a non-interactive narrative. Not every game needs some masterpiece story. A lot of the best games in history have no story, a crappy story, or just a loose collection of lore that you can digest.

Lets get back to focusing on enjoyable gameplay, and less about trying to crowbar a linear narrative into everything.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

23. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 06:50 Agrajag

PHJF wrote on May 3, 2012, 23:41:
Bottom line is if you like Saints Row 2, this is more of the same (only this time it isn't such a piss-poor port).

22. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 05:56 netnerd85

Interesting indeed - an actual expansion! Wonder what the price tag will be  

21. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 04:26 Jerykk

Drezden wrote on May 4, 2012, 04:03:
Great game, definitely picking up the expansion. They really did right by PC gamers with the port this time too.

Depends on whether you're using an Nvidia or ATI card. ATI cards run the game like ass. Volition said that they were aware of the issues and would fix them but that was a months ago. Haven't heard a peep since then.

Again, what do you consider "bad?" People have different levels of tolerance for framerates. I consider 30 FPS to be bad for a console port. Some people think 30 FPS is fine. If you have two 6870s in Crossfire, you should be getting a minimum of 60 FPS. Is that what you actually got?

20. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 04:03 Trevellian

For the Republic

19. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 02:51 wonkawonka

I just finished it. There's something fulfilling running around essentially invulnerable with a decked-out RPG with infinite ammo.
I had a lot of fun playing it.

18. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 02:35 yuastnav

Definitely looking forward to that. Really enjoyed Saints Row 3. It's so over the top its hilarious. It also doesn't make the mistake of taking itself too seriously, like the newer GTA titles. Which did not do them much good, but that is just the way I see things (the GTA titles are still fun but I enjoyed Saints Row 2 and Saints Row 3 much more).  

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo