Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Company of Heroes 2 Revealed?

A blog called Enizr.com has what look like scans of an issue of PC Gamer seemingly revealing plans for Company of Heroes 2, a sequel to Relic's World War II RTS game (thanks Joao). Here's their summary: "The game is being developed by Relic. Company of heroes 2 will being in 1941, the sequel is heading towards the eastern front the players will be given control of the soviet army during the largest battle of World War II. Company of heroes to is expected to arrives [sic] in 2013." Company of Heroes Online, the MMO installment in the series closed over a year ago, and rumors of CoH2 first surfaced late last year.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 4, 2012, 09:24 SXO

Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2012, 01:10:
Burrito of Peace wrote on May 3, 2012, 18:42:
Not Homeworld 3?

Fuck you, Relic. Fuck you.

Does Relic even own the Homeworld IP? Last I checked, Sierra published the Homeworld games. Then Vivendi bought Sierra. Then Vivendi sold most of its IP to Activision. So there's a pretty good chance that Activision owns the Homeworld IP, which means it is basically dead.
THQ actually purchased the rights from Sierra back when it crumbled, so yes, the possibility exists, but I doubt we'll ever see another Homeworld. They don't feel the market for it is big enough.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 4, 2012, 09:09 Verno

InBlack wrote on May 4, 2012, 04:50:
You can pause the game and look around??????

I think I need reinstall CoH Blush

You can but uhm, why? CoH is not a difficult RTS game, it has very simple cover and counter mechanics. It is not a micro heavy RTS like Starcraft where older players are at a disadvantage. I'm shocked to hear people had problems with the difficulty.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

31. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 4, 2012, 08:07 Burrito of Peace

THQ owns the rights to Homeworld now.

In fact, there was an article here some months back discussing the very same acquisition and the future of Homeworld 3.

30. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 4, 2012, 04:50 InBlack

ShakyJake wrote on May 3, 2012, 22:12:
Creston wrote on May 3, 2012, 16:46:
It also had a just plain stupid final mission. "What's the ONE thing that really pisses RTS gamers off? Oh, it's when they have to fight in multiple areas of the map at once. Let's make a map where they have to do so in three (four?) different locations! GIGGLELULZ!"

So... not terribly excited about this one, but Relic makes good enough games that it always warrants to keep an eye on them.

Creston

I had a lot of trouble with some of those missions that required a lot of attention in different areas, too. Then, I discovered the "pause" key. Being able to pause the game and review what's going on around the map, and focus on the production that needs to be done without the pressure of having things going on makes some of those missions much more bearable.

You can pause the game and look around??????

I think I need reinstall CoH Blush

I have a nifty blue line!

29. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 4, 2012, 01:39 entr0py

You can actually read most of the article if you zoom in on the images. That third page that talks about how snow works is enough to get me eager to see the game. It seems like they have some creative game-play ideas.  

28. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 4, 2012, 01:10 Jerykk

Not Homeworld 3?

Does Relic even own the Homeworld IP? Last I checked, Sierra published the Homeworld games. Then Vivendi bought Sierra. Then Vivendi sold most of its IP to Activision. So there's a pretty good chance that Activision owns the Homeworld IP, which means it is basically dead.

27. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 23:49 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on May 3, 2012, 15:51:
Which failed since DoW2 bombed badly

Citation needed. A game doesn't get two expansions when it bombs.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

26. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 22:12 ShakyJake

It also had a just plain stupid final mission. "What's the ONE thing that really pisses RTS gamers off? Oh, it's when they have to fight in multiple areas of the map at once. Let's make a map where they have to do so in three (four?) different locations! GIGGLELULZ!"

So... not terribly excited about this one, but Relic makes good enough games that it always warrants to keep an eye on them.

Creston

I had a lot of trouble with some of those missions that required a lot of attention in different areas, too. Then, I discovered the "pause" key. Being able to pause the game and review what's going on around the map, and focus on the production that needs to be done without the pressure of having things going on makes some of those missions much more bearable.

25. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 20:16 Slashman

Not Homeworld 3?

You damn well tell them!!!! Furious2

24. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 18:42 Burrito of Peace

Not Homeworld 3?

23. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 17:52 Dmitri_M

What I want to know is whether this will be a slightly modified version of the COH\Warhammer games engine and not a cheap cash in (like COH online) or a much improved engine with actual gameplay additions.

The engine was excellent to begin with, but I'd like to see what they can add to it. Not just normal maps and high poly counts. Actual gameplay features.

I love COH, still play it, some very good mods out for it that are still in development. Relic have also consistently patched the title since release. COH is an exceptional game. One of those PC titles that I've gotten a lot of value out of over the years. I think I bought an original boxed copy and again on Steam when it was on special and don't regret it.

22. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 17:43 Creston

Flatline wrote on May 3, 2012, 17:27:
I never really got into the original CoH. I thought at the time that it deviated from the established RTS formally too much (imagine my surprise when DoW2 came out...) and the really precise "this is needed to counter that and that is needed to counter that" stuff was just annoying. there were also way too many missions of the "These are your forces, and they're all you get. Now go attack Hitler's Third Legion with them!" variety.

Creston

Are you really arguing over not being able to hit ctrl-a and sending a massive overwhelming mob to win the level?

Once you got tanks rolling out they more or less won. You might need some infantry with bazookas to take out AT guns, but otherwise tanks + machine guns = win. You'd just have to flank the tanks or it'd be a long, brutal slugfest.

And considering that every previous mission dealt with area control, expanding the game to cap & hold didn't strike me as that big of a stretch.

No, I'm saying that with every "control point", I needed to be able to counter like six or seven different things, and that became annoying. And yes, the idea was that you played the control map thing "fluidly", but that seemed like horseshit to me. It's not capture the fucking flag, it's a strategy game that tries to evoke WW2 combat, and I can guarantee you that no WW2 commander ever figured "Ah well, let's just fight fluidly and see what happens."

Observe, Conquer and Fortify is what I like to do, and CoH didn't really work that way.

I'm not saying that made it a bad game, just that it didn't really do what I like my RTS to do.

Creston

21. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 17:27 Flatline

I never really got into the original CoH. I thought at the time that it deviated from the established RTS formally too much (imagine my surprise when DoW2 came out...) and the really precise "this is needed to counter that and that is needed to counter that" stuff was just annoying. there were also way too many missions of the "These are your forces, and they're all you get. Now go attack Hitler's Third Legion with them!" variety.

Creston

Are you really arguing over not being able to hit ctrl-a and sending a massive overwhelming mob to win the level?

Once you got tanks rolling out they more or less won. You might need some infantry with bazookas to take out AT guns, but otherwise tanks + machine guns = win. You'd just have to flank the tanks or it'd be a long, brutal slugfest.

And considering that every previous mission dealt with area control, expanding the game to cap & hold didn't strike me as that big of a stretch.

20. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 17:21 PHJF

and the really precise "this is needed to counter that and that is needed to counter that" stuff was just annoying.

This is exactly how classic strategy games work, from Civ to Age of Empires. You can't just zerg through everything.

And I don't know how DoWII could have bombed, fucking League of Legends and DotA are ludicrously popular. I guess it's WoW syndrome and players of the aforementioned games just don't bother trying anything else (like Demigod).

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 17:14 Donkey_Punch

Stalingrad here I come!  

18. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 16:46 Creston

Creston

17. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 16:46 Flatline

Verno wrote on May 3, 2012, 14:59:
Flatline wrote on May 3, 2012, 14:46:
I'm actually surprised that they're sticking with the European theater. There's a lot of other options during WW2. Eastern front is interesting to be sure, but there's also the African campaign, the Italian campaign, not to mention the entire Pacific Theater.

Africa would have been great, it's always neglected in media representation. Some great battles in that for the singleplayer scenarios - Tobruk, El Alamein, etc.

Exactly. It'd allow for a different style of story too.

As is they won't probably reflect the nature of the Russian military in WW2. I imagine that the game will be zerg vs protoss basically, ignoring the idea that the Russians weren't incompetent at the soldier level per se, but Stalin having purged the officer's ranks again and again made for a kind of jacked up chain of command that wasn't particularly efficient.

In the board game Memoir '44 there's actually a pretty cool, simple rule to reflect this. Normally you can play one order per turn, and it goes off in that turn. Russians/Commissar rules state that you play next turn's orders this turn. So on turn 2 you start by executing Turn 1's order, move your units/battle, and then issue an order that will not execute until next turn.

16. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 16:40 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on May 3, 2012, 15:47:
After DoW2, the expansions, Company of Heroes Online and then Space Marine I'm not feeling good about the next game from Relic. And I suppose that weird mini game is something too. All that weird dlc for those leader characters...can't even remember what they called it.

I'm expecting this to be some weird hybrid between space marine and CoH. The scanned mag images definitely seem to suggest they're going to extreme detail up close which looks like a FPS/3PS at times.

Am I the only one who enjoyed the fuck out of DOW2? It wasn't an RTS, I'll be the first to admit that, it was far more a tactical game than a strategy game. Retribution or whatever the last expansion was blew donkey balls though. Boring story, funky alternate faction engine, the same maps over and over with different factions... It just wasn't particularly fun. In fact my major complaint about DOW2 was the limited number of maps and how uninspired most of them were.

CoH was excellent too. It still holds up today. It struck a nice balance between DOW2 and traditional RTS games.

15. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 16:17 SpectralMeat

This article made want to install CoH back onto my system and play it again. It's been a while.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 15:53 Verno

Tumbler wrote on May 3, 2012, 15:47:
I'm expecting this to be some weird hybrid between space marine and CoH. The scanned mag images definitely seem to suggest they're going to extreme detail up close which looks like a FPS/3PS at times.

Dude those are just zoomed in PR shots, it's a common marketing thing with RTS games because they look boring in magazines to more casual users. You can produce the same thing in CoH with your mousewheel and Fraps. If you look closer there are zoomed out shots too which show the same gameplay scope as CoH.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo