Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year

Game Informer's June 2012 Cover Reveal shows the next issue of the magazine will offer the official unveiling of The Elder Scrolls Online, finally fulfilling long-time speculation that Bethesda would one day create an MMO based on their popular RPG series. They say the game will come to Windows and OS X next year, and that a teaser trailer a screenshot will be posted tomorrow. Here's what they reveal so far:

Developed by the team at Zenimax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.

"It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years," said game director and MMO veteran Matt Firor, whose previous work includes Mythic's well-received Dark Age of Camelot. "The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous June cover story – as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself.

View
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

31. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:11 Necrophob

I foresee a disaster of Elder Scrolls Adventures proportions. Especially since it wasn't even Bethesda working on this.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:10 Bard

If there's monthly fees it's going to be short lived.

29. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:10 briktal

Quboid wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:39:
I really hope this doesn't compromise their single player games.

Well you saw what it did to Skyrim...

28. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:07 Verno

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 3, 2012, 14:03:
I might have played a Fallout MMO but not an Elder Scrolls one.

I'm not sure I would have played the Fallout one either to be honest. The only MMOs I ever touch anymore are the free to play ones and I usually give those up after a month or so.

Games that you can't mod just don't do it for me these days.

I've always like the idea of a Fallout MMO but it's hard to imagine how it would actually work without being incredibly boring. The random encounters in the Fallout games have never been that interesting to me, that would be the one thing that other players might be able to improve in theory.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

27. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:03 Silicon Avatar

I might have played a Fallout MMO but not an Elder Scrolls one.

I'm not sure I would have played the Fallout one either to be honest. The only MMOs I ever touch anymore are the free to play ones and I usually give those up after a month or so.

Games that you can't mod just don't do it for me these days.

26. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:49 Kastagir

None of the resources for development of this IP have come from Bethesda Game Studios, the team responsible for Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout3, Morrowind, etc. Zenimax Online Studios is a completely different team. In fact, it was probably created with an ES MMO in mind. The different teams under the Zenimax umbrella have been discussed elsewhere. BGS will never work on a multiplayer game - it just isn't their area of interest/focus.

This comment was edited on May 3, 2012, 13:56.

25. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:45 PHJF

I don't know, I've always felt like combat was the weakest aspect of the TES games.

And yet their worst efforts in TES are better than all efforts in MMORPGs so far.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:45 Techie714 ©

The Elder Scrolls Online < Fallout Online

That's what I want! Fallout baby!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:38 NKD

Verno wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:18:
Jdrez wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:12:
All I know is I've been wanting this for years and I hope like hell it stays first person and real time, and that they don't try to go WoW and give us more boring fucking hotbar 'combat.'

I don't know, I've always felt like combat was the weakest aspect of the TES games. While I don't think hotbars are necessarily the way to go, I would welcome some changes to make things more interesting. Bethesda games (to me) are mostly about exploration and making yourself into a walking death machine since the combat mechanics are so poorly balanced. The former is easy enough to do but I'm not sure how they will keep the combat balanced and interesting without user modifications.

Not a huge fan of the combat myself. It's certainly not something they could plug-and-play into an MMO as it stands. But a lot of elements of TES are like that. Loosely related sandbox elements with little to no thought given to balance, because its up to the user to determine what they want to do, weaving the many mediocre components into a satisfying whole.

In an MMO that won't fly. It's like you said, the walking death machine goal everyone loves so much will be off the table, as will the modding community.

Here's the other problem: Singleplayer or simple co-op sandbox games have wide appeal. But sandbox MMO appeal to a niche crowd, and are fairly rare, successful ones even more so. A company like Bethesda that is used to selling eleventy billion copies of Skyrim are not going to make an MMO without expecting it to move big numbers.

I think to make a TES MMO, they'll have to rein in their sandbox aspirations far too much. But we shall see.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:36 Creston

Ugh. While I love the elder Scrolls games, an MMO is probably just going to plain suck ass.

At least no bethesda resources were being misused to create this.

Creston

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:36 Darks

Hyatus wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:23:
People calling it a flop before the first screenshot is out are presumptuous idiots. It may well flop but we know nothing about that yet.

Presumptuous, yes. Idiots, no.
Let's pretend you've never had an apple. You are given 5 boxes of apples from 5 different growers. Each apple in each box makes you throw up. Are you excited and hopeful about a box of apples from a sixth grower, or are you skeptical and jaded and wish that all apple companies would grow oranges instead?

...so, down with Apple!

Hmm if you can use that kind of analogy I guess I can throw this one back at you and say, that it could be that the person eating those apples has a weak constitution and shouldn’t be eating apples.

But I would have to agree, you cannot make a proper review of a game that only being discussed and not seen or shown off yet.

I think most people liked Skyrim, so I want to believe that Bethesda is going to take that model and make it even better.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:24 Beamer

Verno wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:18:
All I know is I've been wanting this for years and I hope like hell it stays first person and real time, and that they don't try to go WoW and give us more boring fucking hotbar 'combat.'

I don't know, I've always felt like combat was the weakest aspect of the TES games. While I don't think hotbars are necessarily the way to go, I would welcome some changes to make things more interesting. Bethesda games (to me) are mostly about exploration and making yourself into a walking death machine since the combat mechanics are so poorly balanced. The former is easy enough to do but I'm not sure how they will keep the combat balanced and interesting without user modifications.

Yeah. I just don't trust a company that comes out and says their game is going to be ready next year when the public hasn't even set eyes on a single aspect of the game.

I guess we'll agree to disagree, I think a year is plenty of time to show off and market the game. At some point they just have to shove it out the door, it's more a question of what state its in.

I agree with all of this, too. I somehow enjoyed combat in Oblivion but got very tired of it very quickly in Skyrim, which ultimately stopped me around 30 or so hours (I want to go back, plan to, but... not certain I will actually.)
But any MMO I've played has had far worse combat, so I'm not sure this will be anything more than a step back, at least it can't be an enormous one.

As for the walking death machine, I just don't think MMOs can communicate that well as there's always someone more powerful than you. Not "better," which is why I hate MMOs, but more powerful. Or at least as powerful.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:23 Hyatus

People calling it a flop before the first screenshot is out are presumptuous idiots. It may well flop but we know nothing about that yet.

Presumptuous, yes. Idiots, no.
Let's pretend you've never had an apple. You are given 5 boxes of apples from 5 different growers. Each apple in each box makes you throw up. Are you excited and hopeful about a box of apples from a sixth grower, or are you skeptical and jaded and wish that all apple companies would grow oranges instead?

...so, down with Apple!

18. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:21 Beamer

Pretty certain it's largely a separate team, hence Matt Firor.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:18 Verno

Yeah. I just don't trust a company that comes out and says their game is going to be ready next year when the public hasn't even set eyes on a single aspect of the game.

I guess we'll agree to disagree, I think a year is plenty of time to show off and market the game. At some point they just have to shove it out the door, it's more a question of what state its in. Anyways definitely interested in seeing where this goes.

16. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:15 NKD

Verno wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:02:
NKD wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:50:
Why bother? Guild Wars 2 will be out soon and all other MMOs will immediately go under and ArenaNet will take over the UN and world hunger will be cured, so will AIDS and cancer. Praise be to ArenaNet. Ia! ia! Cthulhu fhtagn.

In all seriousness though, I don't have much hope for this one. Out next year and this is the first we're hearing about it? Shovelware.

It's one of those worst kept industry secret things, its been in development for a long time. I'm more worried about how the freeform elements of TES will play in an MMO setting where control over the experience is very important for the devs.

I'm sorry Bethesda, but you don't know that it's going to be ready next year. This type of announcement makes me think they are going to just shove it out the door next year, ready or not.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:14 sauron

This is going to sell truckloads if they make the specs accessible and it isn't buggy as hell.

Could be the WoW-killer, assuming GW2 hasn't claimed that prize already.

Kittens!

14. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:12 Jdrez

As to '200 idiots same quest' they will probably instance most things in dungeons. Duh.

13. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:04 Orogogus

Out next year and this is the first we're hearing about it? Shovelware.

Of all the game news sites I read, Blues has the most commenters who regularly bitch about companies talking about their game before it's out. Like, if it's not coming out in 12 months then we don't want to hear about it at all.

12. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:02 Verno

Why bother? Guild Wars 2 will be out soon and all other MMOs will immediately go under and ArenaNet will take over the UN and world hunger will be cured, so will AIDS and cancer. Praise be to ArenaNet. Ia! ia! Cthulhu fhtagn.

In all seriousness though, I don't have much hope for this one. Out next year and this is the first we're hearing about it? Shovelware.

It's one of those worst kept industry secret things, its been in development for a long time. I'm more worried about how the freeform elements of TES will play in an MMO setting where control over the experience is very important for the devs.

91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo