Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year

Game Informer's June 2012 Cover Reveal shows the next issue of the magazine will offer the official unveiling of The Elder Scrolls Online, finally fulfilling long-time speculation that Bethesda would one day create an MMO based on their popular RPG series. They say the game will come to Windows and OS X next year, and that a teaser trailer a screenshot will be posted tomorrow. Here's what they reveal so far:

Developed by the team at Zenimax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.

"It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years," said game director and MMO veteran Matt Firor, whose previous work includes Mythic's well-received Dark Age of Camelot. "The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous June cover story as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself.

View
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

51. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 16:03 Cutter

It depends on several things. Is it going to be consolized? If so it's going to fail. F2P - pretty much has to be or it'll fail. the biggest hindrance. No community input. Let's face it, it's always been the editor and community fixes, mods, improvements that are the saving grace of TES games. Now they want a closed system? I don't have that sort of faith in TES games. TES games have always had the weakest, shallowest quests of any CRPG. The environments are great but you can only explore them so long before you get bored. Obviously I'll want to check it out and see what there is to see but I can't imagine it'll be something anyone wants to stick around for overly long. Methinks the game will take an arrow to the knee before o'er long.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 15:42 El Pit

Never played a game with monthly fees, and never will. Not even Elder Scrolls Online. It'll be hard to resist, but pay per month... No, thanks.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

49. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 15:37 wtf_man

Quboid wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:39:
I really hope this doesn't compromise their single player games.

Totally different studio.

Zenimax Online Studios = TES Online
Bethesda Game Studios = Single Player Elder Scrolls games.

48. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 15:37 SM0k3

I'll reserve my excitement until more info/content is published. Also no word on if it's going to be P2P or F2P -- I'm hoping the latter; P2P games are dying off pretty quickly these days.  

47. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 15:36 Beamer

AngelicPenguin wrote on May 3, 2012, 15:20:
6) If X = any Indie or Valve title, then comment = "So excited! X will be the best Y style game EVAR!"

I'm pretty sure if its a valve title, it needs to include something about where half life 3 is.

Yeah, but by now we all realize they're just waiting until they can release the 3 box (HL3, Portal 3, L4D3, TF3, CS3)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

46. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 15:30 Kitkoan

Am I the only one who saw this and thought "so the company best known for making buggy games that crash often is wanting to make an online game?"  

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

45. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 15:28 AngelicPenguin

Fion wrote on May 3, 2012, 14:15:
I almost feel bad for any MMOG currently in development that comes out after GW2 and features questing, WoW style combat, etc. GW2 really changes things, and for the better. I'm sure WoW clones will always have a market, but by then the rest of us will have moved on to the next generation of MMOG gaming.

The only MMO I ever played was ultima online, which was pretty fun for a little bit with some buddies. Never played WoW, but I watched the really long GW2 videos that show the game off (like half hour of playing it.) It looked pretty, but incredibly boring. I saw a bunch of shooting arrows over and over and over at some tentacle things, lots of little arrows pointing to some new quest which looked like just shooting at things over and over and over.

Maybe MMOs aren't for me, but I'm wondering what is the new thing that GW2 brings to the table that doesn't seem really dull and repetitive.

44. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 15:27 Draugr

Smooth Gravy wrote on May 3, 2012, 14:57:
I read the comments on a lot of the blue's news stories and have come up with a formula for 80% of the comments. Let me know what errors I need to correct.

X game is due to come out next year.

1) If X = any EA game, then comment = "Fuck EA and their greedy asses! I wouldn't play this if they gave ME $60 and some bacon!"
2) If X = any MMO, then comment = "another failed attempt at making something good. This will be F2P within 2 days. lulz."
3) If X = anything related to CoD, see #1.
4) If X = any sequel, then comment = "They never fixed the bug that caused me to lose my toast in the 1st game. PASS!"
5) If X = any FPS title, then comment = "Unless this has mod support that let's me and the 100 other people that write mods make our mod related to the Twilight series, then I will wait 4 this to be in the $5 bin."
6) If X = any Indie or Valve title, then comment = "So excited! X will be the best Y style game EVAR!"

I dunno, I am obviously in the minority, but I may just wait and see what it has to offer, watch previews, etc. and then come to a decision about buying it. I'm one of these suckers that buys and plays games for enjoyment, not to get pissed about the shoulda/coulda/wouldas.

Cheers

You forgot to add people like yourself, "OMG BLUESNEWS IS SO CYNICAL BLAH, BLAH BLAH!"

it's just speculation, but it seems to me it's possible this was going to be a fallout mmo, but the legal issues made them go a different route.

On a side note: the world will be a better place when the 'to the knee' thing finally dies off like it should have a day after it's inception.

43. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 15:21 Verno

Valve gets an equal amount of bitching around here, lots of old school PC users who dislike Steam It's a comments section, not a staffed and moderated forum. You take the good with the bad.

I'm pretty sure if its a valve title, it needs to include something about where half life 3 is

Haha indeed.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

42. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 15:20 AngelicPenguin

I'm pretty sure if its a valve title, it needs to include something about where half life 3 is.

41. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 15:19 Angrius Maximis

LOL

You win :

Bethesda was making a good profit.

...Until they took an MMO to the knee.

Runner UP:

40. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 15:16 ELITE

SCREW MMO!
All I've been asking for is freaking free ass co-op.

39. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:57 Smooth Gravy

I read the comments on a lot of the blue's news stories and have come up with a formula for 80% of the comments. Let me know what errors I need to correct.

X game is due to come out next year.

1) If X = any EA game, then comment = "Fuck EA and their greedy asses! I wouldn't play this if they gave ME $60 and some bacon!"
2) If X = any MMO, then comment = "another failed attempt at making something good. This will be F2P within 2 days. lulz."
3) If X = anything related to CoD, see #1.
4) If X = any sequel, then comment = "They never fixed the bug that caused me to lose my toast in the 1st game. PASS!"
5) If X = any FPS title, then comment = "Unless this has mod support that let's me and the 100 other people that write mods make our mod related to the Twilight series, then I will wait 4 this to be in the $5 bin."

I dunno, I am obviously in the minority, but I may just wait and see what it has to offer, watch previews, etc. and then come to a decision about buying it. I'm one of these suckers that buys and plays games for enjoyment, not to get pissed about the shoulda/coulda/wouldas.

Cheers

38. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:54 LgFriess

Please, puh-lease no more packs of 4 mobs standing in a cluster by the side of the road waiting to be killed, while their buddies are slaughtered 10 feet away but just outside of aggro range.

Please no more "dailies." Please no more follow me around a corner over a rock under a river long range attacks. I don't want the perfect PvP/PVE balance attempts and class homogenization. Just... don't do WoW/SWTOR again. It's so damn dead assed boring now.

Give me some reasons to explore, some depth and challenge to crafting, mobs that do something other then just wait for you to get in range. Basically make the world a living, interacting place I'll enjoy running out and getting lost in.

37. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:33 Flatline

On the up shot, if the map on the cover of Game Informer is anything to go by, you're looking at around 50% of the continent (judging from how big Morrowind is).

While the art direction for Skyrim constantly makes me stop and just... admire shit... (Blackreach was another of those moments, but whenever the weather clears some and you get some awesome vistas it's worth stopping for a moment and looking), I do miss Morrowind and it's bizarre, alien landscape. The marshes, the blight, the canals of Vivec, the crazy-ass mushrooms on the eastern side of the island... it was great stuff. In Skyrim we ride horses and carts between cities. In Morrowind we rode silt striders and blimps and shit. And then there was the solar eclipse...

36. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:32 Klaus Flouride

deqer wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:40:
Cool, another MMO...
Another company trying to dip their toes into a deep deep cess pool...
Another inevitable failure...

This will be right behind Tera when Tera gets shutdown. Either the whole MMO model needs to be re-thunk or abandoned completely. With a couple notable exceptions, WoW and EQ come to mind, these games are horrid and die within 12-18 months.

If you're good at single player then keep making it and don't ruin it by going the MMO route. It seems like unless its an FPS, like CoD/BF, then its destined for mediocrity and failure.

When all else fails empty the magazine...

35. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:27 Flatline

Jdrez wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:12:
People calling it a flop before the first screenshot is out are presumptuous idiots. It may well flop but we know nothing about that yet.

As to '200 idiots same quest' they will probably instance most things in dungeons. Duh.

All I know is I've been wanting this for years and I hope like hell it stays first person and real time, and that they don't try to go WoW and give us more boring fucking hotbar 'combat.'

LFG 4 "Only Dova'Kin on the block", 8 slots left!

34. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:20 theyarecomingforyou

I don't like MMOs because you never really "complete" them. The reason I liked Guild Wars was because it was like a singleplayer game that just happened to be played with other people. And I also don't like paying monthly for a game, as you end up paying dramatically more in the end.

If it's a one-off purchase I'll likely grab it; if not then I'll wait for it to go free-to-play. I loved Skyrim but I have no interest in supporting MMOs.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

33. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:19 bozu

I had an interview for this project a couple of years ago. I think the first thing I said when I walked in was, "Why not a Fallout MMO?"

Didn't get job.

32. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:15 Fion

I almost feel bad for any MMOG currently in development that comes out after GW2 and features questing, WoW style combat, etc. GW2 really changes things, and for the better. I'm sure WoW clones will always have a market, but by then the rest of us will have moved on to the next generation of MMOG gaming.  

91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo