Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year

Game Informer's June 2012 Cover Reveal shows the next issue of the magazine will offer the official unveiling of The Elder Scrolls Online, finally fulfilling long-time speculation that Bethesda would one day create an MMO based on their popular RPG series. They say the game will come to Windows and OS X next year, and that a teaser trailer a screenshot will be posted tomorrow. Here's what they reveal so far:

Developed by the team at Zenimax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.

"It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years," said game director and MMO veteran Matt Firor, whose previous work includes Mythic's well-received Dark Age of Camelot. "The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous June cover story – as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself.

View
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

71. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 19:28 Dev

J wrote on May 3, 2012, 19:23:
I'll give it a whirl so long as I can roleplay a pack of cliff racers.

On a serious note, how many rpg games let you play out the anti-hero roles? We can't all be heroes on quests, it might be fun to be able to play the baddies trying to stop the heroes.
Wasn't there a city of villains game where you play as anti heros?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 19:23 J

I'll give it a whirl so long as I can roleplay a pack of cliff racers.

On a serious note, how many rpg games let you play out the anti-hero roles? We can't all be heroes on quests, it might be fun to be able to play the baddies trying to stop the heroes.

69. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 18:53 Kitkoan

Eberron wrote on May 3, 2012, 18:44:
I hope they instance the entire world. Everyone gets their own server and you can transfer characters to another player's world with their permission.

Something like the online mode of Terraria?

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

68. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 18:52 Agent.X7

This intrigues me, but I have to wonder if developers have figured out yet that not everything is better as an mmo.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

67. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 18:44 Eberron

I hope they instance the entire world. Everyone gets their own server and you can transfer characters to another player's world with their permission.  

66. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 18:07 PHJF

Throw Blizzard into 6 and you're spot on pretty much.

Did you miss all the hate in the 120-post Diablo topic the other day???

Steam + PSN: PHJF

65. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 18:04 nin

You know, at the beginning of char creation you hit a couple checkboxes for basic background... do you have siblings, are your parents still alive, etc etc... Then when you launch your character you get your own personalized story arc. Say your brother gets into gambling debt with the mob, so you go to bail him out, and have to do a few side jobs with the mob, which alerts the police and gets them onto your trail and so on and so forth.

I'm not sure the extent of how it plays out (long term, multilevel), but the character creation in GW2 does some of that.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

64. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 17:56 RollinThundr

Smooth Gravy wrote on May 3, 2012, 14:57:
I read the comments on a lot of the blue's news stories and have come up with a formula for 80% of the comments. Let me know what errors I need to correct.

X game is due to come out next year.

1) If X = any EA game, then comment = "Fuck EA and their greedy asses! I wouldn't play this if they gave ME $60 and some bacon!"
2) If X = any MMO, then comment = "another failed attempt at making something good. This will be F2P within 2 days. lulz."
3) If X = anything related to CoD, see #1.
4) If X = any sequel, then comment = "They never fixed the bug that caused me to lose my toast in the 1st game. PASS!"
5) If X = any FPS title, then comment = "Unless this has mod support that let's me and the 100 other people that write mods make our mod related to the Twilight series, then I will wait 4 this to be in the $5 bin."
6) If X = any Indie or Valve title, then comment = "So excited! X will be the best Y style game EVAR!"

I dunno, I am obviously in the minority, but I may just wait and see what it has to offer, watch previews, etc. and then come to a decision about buying it. I'm one of these suckers that buys and plays games for enjoyment, not to get pissed about the shoulda/coulda/wouldas.

Cheers

Throw Blizzard into 6 and you're spot on pretty much.

63. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 17:48 Dev

Flatline wrote on May 3, 2012, 17:35:
I always wondered why MMOs don't have a personal story generator. A very complex, in-depth mission generator that uses modular missions & shit.

You know, at the beginning of char creation you hit a couple checkboxes for basic background... do you have siblings, are your parents still alive, etc etc... Then when you launch your character you get your own personalized story arc. Say your brother gets into gambling debt with the mob, so you go to bail him out, and have to do a few side jobs with the mob, which alerts the police and gets them onto your trail and so on and so forth.

That way, my fighter/gunbunny at least has *something* different from your fighter/gunbunny.
And who knows. Maybe beth will do that. If they threw in their infinite mission generator they used in skyrim, and expanded it to support each characters unique background, I think its possible to do that.
Beamer wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:24:
I somehow enjoyed combat in Oblivion but got very tired of it very quickly in Skyrim, which ultimately stopped me around 30 or so hours (I want to go back, plan to, but... not certain I will actually.
Thats whats so great about beth games modability. There's likely mods out there to tweak the combat for you. Or if the rest of the game is great for you except for combat and you like the experience of exploring, use a mod/cheat that makes combat skippable with a button press.
Quboid wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:39:
I really hope this doesn't compromise their single player games.
WoW didn't compromise blizzard did it?

oh wait.

This comment was edited on May 3, 2012, 17:54.

62. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 17:35 Flatline

nin wrote on May 3, 2012, 17:09:
The reason the TES games are great is because you play a character that becomes renown or reviled and known by all. When you're playing cookie cutter Nord Warrior #37 while standing next to cookie cutter Nord Warrior #38 that doesn't happen.

That's the challenge of every MMO. WOW does it, and for all we know (right now) this one might do the same.

But I agree with jdrez: it's way too early to make any predictions right now.

I always wondered why MMOs don't have a personal story generator. A very complex, in-depth mission generator that uses modular missions & shit.

That way, my fighter/gunbunny at least has *something* different from your fighter/gunbunny.

61. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 17:09 nin

The reason the TES games are great is because you play a character that becomes renown or reviled and known by all. When you're playing cookie cutter Nord Warrior #37 while standing next to cookie cutter Nord Warrior #38 that doesn't happen.

That's the challenge of every MMO. WOW does it, and for all we know (right now) this one might do the same.

But I agree with jdrez: it's way too early to make any predictions right now.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

60. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 17:07 deqer

Jerykk wrote on May 3, 2012, 16:28:
or make you level really, really slowly.
I don't like slow leveling because 1) it gives newcomers no chance to catch up, and 2) pay more $/month if it's P2P.

I think leveling should be equal for all players, regardless of the player's start_date. I think the only way this can be done is if you restrict a player to # of hours allowed to play per day; lore would be that your character is tired and cannot play until the next day. So, for newcomers that come 120days late, then they are eligible to play unlimited # of hours per day for 120days, so they can catch up.

Then everyone is happy, and as a result you then make 100% sales on your game. Everyone's going to want to play it.

59. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 16:57 Panickd

Jdrez wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:12:
People calling it a flop before the first screenshot is out are presumptuous idiots. It may well flop but we know nothing about that yet.

As to '200 idiots same quest' they will probably instance most things in dungeons. Duh.

All I know is I've been wanting this for years and I hope like hell it stays first person and real time, and that they don't try to go WoW and give us more boring fucking hotbar 'combat.'

The reason the TES games are great is because you play a character that becomes renown or reviled and known by all. When you're playing cookie cutter Nord Warrior #37 while standing next to cookie cutter Nord Warrior #38 that doesn't happen. Imagine playing Skyrim but you're not Dragonborn, just some schmuck banging on respawning wolves with a bunch of other schmucks. You've done it a thousand times in every other MMO that told you it was different when it came out and instanced dungeons is the best idea they've been able to put forward. Unfortunately instancing doesn't change the anonymous nature of the player characters in MMOs.

A MP CO-OP TES game would've been badass. An MMO TES game is, "Hey I bet if we squeeze hard enough this coal will turn into a diamond!"

58. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 16:45 Tanto Edge

Hmm, frankly I'd be as happy with a random Elder Scrolls generator.
Hmm, I should hit Google..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

57. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 16:30 jomisab

There will be the inevitable comparisons to the single-player game, and at least from a graphics position, I doubt very much it will be able to stand up to a fully modded Skyrim.

And unless they have miraculously figured out something nobody else has, this won't be deviating much from the "Gather X of Y, and do it Z times" formula.

Basically, instead of taking 50-100 hours of gameplay to get Daedric armor, it's going to take 1000. Enjoy!

This comment was edited on May 3, 2012, 16:36.

56. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 16:28 Creston

Kitkoan wrote on May 3, 2012, 15:30:
Am I the only one who saw this and thought "so the company best known for making buggy games that crash often is wanting to make an online game?"

Since the game isn't actually made by Bethesda, I'm going to guess that, yes, you were the only one who thought that.

Creston

55. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 16:28 Jerykk

Should be interesting to see how this fares. Bethesda has never been good at balancing and the usage-based leveling system of the ES games is not conducive to balance. They're going to have to either change the level system for the MMO or make you level really, really slowly.  

54. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 16:27 Creston

Smooth Gravy wrote on May 3, 2012, 14:57:
I read the comments on a lot of the blue's news stories and have come up with a formula for 80% of the comments. Let me know what errors I need to correct.

X game is due to come out next year.

1) If X = any EA game, then comment = "Fuck EA and their greedy asses! I wouldn't play this if they gave ME $60 and some bacon!"
2) If X = any MMO, then comment = "another failed attempt at making something good. This will be F2P within 2 days. lulz."
3) If X = anything related to CoD, see #1.
4) If X = any sequel, then comment = "They never fixed the bug that caused me to lose my toast in the 1st game. PASS!"
5) If X = any FPS title, then comment = "Unless this has mod support that let's me and the 100 other people that write mods make our mod related to the Twilight series, then I will wait 4 this to be in the $5 bin."
6) If X = any Indie or Valve title, then comment = "So excited! X will be the best Y style game EVAR!"

I dunno, I am obviously in the minority, but I may just wait and see what it has to offer, watch previews, etc. and then come to a decision about buying it. I'm one of these suckers that buys and plays games for enjoyment, not to get pissed about the shoulda/coulda/wouldas.

Cheers

You missed one. If it's not any of the above, then the comment is "WAAAAH, THE COMMENTS SECTION AT BLUESNEWS IS SO CRAPPY, AND I'M SO WITTY AND FRESH FOR POINTING THIS OUT IN A WAY THAT'S ALREADY BEEN DONE 287000 TIMES IN THE PAST! I AM A REAL GAMER AND SO MUCH BETTER THAN EVERYBODY; I'M ACTUALLY LIKE A HUMAN VERSION OF APPLE!"

Creston

53. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 16:22 Ozmodan

First off, it is NOT next year, it is 3 years down the road. At least get your facts straight!  

52. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 16:22 Prez

El Pit wrote on May 3, 2012, 15:42:
Never played a game with monthly fees, and never will. Not even Elder Scrolls Online. It'll be hard to resist, but pay per month... No, thanks.

If it's like Star Wars The Old Republic, then you can do everything there is to do and see everything there is to see within the first free month, and still never have to pay a sub.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo