Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year

Game Informer's June 2012 Cover Reveal shows the next issue of the magazine will offer the official unveiling of The Elder Scrolls Online, finally fulfilling long-time speculation that Bethesda would one day create an MMO based on their popular RPG series. They say the game will come to Windows and OS X next year, and that a teaser trailer a screenshot will be posted tomorrow. Here's what they reveal so far:

Developed by the team at Zenimax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.

"It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years," said game director and MMO veteran Matt Firor, whose previous work includes Mythic's well-received Dark Age of Camelot. "The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous June cover story as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself.

View
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

91. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 9, 2012, 17:21 xXBatmanXx

Just got mine today. Looks like something I might actually try out. Not into the monthly model - so we will see.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

90. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 7, 2012, 10:24 Verno

Smellfinger wrote on May 6, 2012, 18:46:
This is what has always turned me off to The Elder Scrolls series. The King's Field series blew TES out of the water in terms of combat, but nobody seemed to notice. Unfortunately, From Software had to dumb down the King's Field formula (Demons/Dark Souls) to get people to play their RPGs. In the end, I think people care less about combat and more about stats and collecting loot.

Oh I don't know, I'm a huge fan of Kings Field and the Souls games, I wouldn't say its really dumbed down per se. It's more that video tutorials and stuff like that has rendered a lot of the learning curve moot. I agree though that we're settling for second rate combat systems in the TES games.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

89. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 7, 2012, 10:19 everyone

Dev wrote on May 3, 2012, 21:02:
Probably that they wanted to make sure it was consolized? Most MMO's aren't.
WTF are you talking about? He just listed the main features of every PC MMO ever. How do you "consolize" what is primarily a console game (Skyrim) by making it more like a typical PC game (WOW et al)?

88. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 6, 2012, 18:46 Smellfinger

Verno wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:18:
I don't know, I've always felt like combat was the weakest aspect of the TES games. While I don't think hotbars are necessarily the way to go, I would welcome some changes to make things more interesting.

This is what has always turned me off to The Elder Scrolls series. The King's Field series blew TES out of the water in terms of combat, but nobody seemed to notice. Unfortunately, From Software had to dumb down the King's Field formula (Demons/Dark Souls) to get people to play their RPGs. In the end, I think people care less about combat and more about stats and collecting loot.

87. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 5, 2012, 15:02 Dev

Lorcin wrote on May 4, 2012, 05:12:
Dev wrote on May 3, 2012, 21:03:
Lorcin wrote on May 3, 2012, 19:30:
Can't get excited - was really cross after spending hours modding skyrim to bring it even close to pc standard to discover the UI mod meant I didn't get steam unlocks.
I'm sure there are saves avail to get the achieves. Or disable the mods, reload the game, and you probably will get the achieves anyway.

Thanks but just went in without using the Script Extender launcher and achieves are still locked.

I know you could do that kinda thing in fallout games, I figured you could do the same in skyrim. I bet others have this problem, I suggest a google search

86. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 4, 2012, 05:12 Lorcin

Dev wrote on May 3, 2012, 21:03:
Can't get excited - was really cross after spending hours modding skyrim to bring it even close to pc standard to discover the UI mod meant I didn't get steam unlocks.
I'm sure there are saves avail to get the achieves. Or disable the mods, reload the game, and you probably will get the achieves anyway.

Thanks but just went in without using the Script Extender launcher and achieves are still locked.

85. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 23:03 Panickd

nin wrote on May 3, 2012, 17:09:
The reason the TES games are great is because you play a character that becomes renown or reviled and known by all. When you're playing cookie cutter Nord Warrior #37 while standing next to cookie cutter Nord Warrior #38 that doesn't happen.

That's the challenge of every MMO. WOW does it, and for all we know (right now) this one might do the same.

But I agree with jdrez: it's way too early to make any predictions right now.

WOW does it? For who? I played WoW multiple times over the years and never once did I feel like I was ever important in the overall scheme of the game universe. WoW is the biggest perpetrator of all. You can't have 10 million players and have them all be special. It's a logistic impossibility. So I must assume you either work for Blizzard's PR team or you're delusional.

84. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 21:06 Brumbek

TOTAL FAIL. TES games cannot transfer to MMOs. I doubt the real Elder Scrolls designers like Todd Howard are excited about their world being dragged through the muddy MMO sewer system.  

83. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 21:03 Dev

82. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 21:02 Dev

Lorcin wrote on May 3, 2012, 20:19:
shinchan0s wrote on May 3, 2012, 20:12:
You can find pics here @ http://imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#0

First impression: It looks like WoW, but if any there's any IP than can be MMO-ized it's Elder Scrolls. Bioware just effed up bad with TOR. Not too keen on it though. I'll wait for TES6.

That looks like elder scrolls for 5 year old PCs/bottom of the range laptops. Couple that with a player run market and your actions having no real effect on the world.

Sorry but I'm out.
wtf_man wrote on May 3, 2012, 20:57:
Jerykk wrote on May 3, 2012, 20:46:
After reading the Game Informer article, I'm even more underwhelmed than before. This game doesn't appear to have any of the distinctive features that make the ES series unique.

1) Not first-person.
2) No direct control during combat.
3) Cartoony visual style.
4) Classes.

Oh Shit! UTTER FAIL!
WTF was Frior and Zenimax thinking???

Probably that they wanted to make sure it was consolized? Most MMO's aren't.

81. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 20:57 wtf_man

Jerykk wrote on May 3, 2012, 20:46:
After reading the Game Informer article, I'm even more underwhelmed than before. This game doesn't appear to have any of the distinctive features that make the ES series unique.

1) Not first-person.
4) Classes.

Oh Shit! UTTER FAIL!
WTF was Frior and Zenimax thinking???

80. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 20:46 Jerykk

1) Not first-person.
4) Classes.

79. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 20:27 wtf_man

Ozmodan wrote on May 3, 2012, 16:22:
First off, it is NOT next year, it is 3 years down the road. At least get your facts straight!

Well... they'd be nuts to release too close to GW2.

That said, where are you getting your info?
The Game Informer article does claim a 2013 release, when you look at shinchan0s link.

78. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 20:19 Lorcin

shinchan0s wrote on May 3, 2012, 20:12:

First impression: It looks like WoW, but if any there's any IP than can be MMO-ized it's Elder Scrolls. Bioware just effed up bad with TOR. Not too keen on it though. I'll wait for TES6.

That looks like elder scrolls for 5 year old PCs/bottom of the range laptops. Couple that with a player run market and your actions having no real effect on the world.

Sorry but I'm out.

77. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 20:12 shinchan0s

76. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 19:38 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on May 3, 2012, 19:32:
It's not like you can do real heinous shit.

The game that allows me to harvest unloved orphan souls to power a machine that hunts and butchers puppies and kittens for raw materials to produce a virus that attacks the brain and causes people to be unable to love or see the color purple I'll know that I've found a game to retire with...

... actually I think Dwarf Fortress allows you to do this. Why do I play any other game?

75. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 19:34 deqer

J wrote on May 3, 2012, 19:23:
it might be fun to be able to play the baddies trying to stop the heroes.
heh, that reminds me of DCUO http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/

74. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 19:32 Bhruic

On a serious note, how many rpg games let you play out the anti-hero roles?

Despite their description as RPGs, most MMOs don't really have any role playing beyond what you bring to the table. In SWTOR, for example, you do have the ability to choose light side/dark side in many conversation situations, allowing you perceive yourself as an anti-hero, but the practical effect is limited at best. There's no real in-game effect to your choices, so it mainly comes down to how you want to perceive your character (and whether you want to power-game the stats).

City of Villains allowed you to play as a villain, but not really as an anti-hero.

I'm not sure the structure of MMOs would really support that as an option, without making some fundamental changes to how the game(s) played out.

73. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 19:32 Cutter

J wrote on May 3, 2012, 19:23:
I'll give it a whirl so long as I can roleplay a pack of cliff racers.

On a serious note, how many rpg games let you play out the anti-hero roles? We can't all be heroes on quests, it might be fun to be able to play the baddies trying to stop the heroes.

Yeah, but like DCUO being a villain is very PG13 for those games. It's not like you can do real heinous shit.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

72. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 19:30 Lorcin

It's a fantasy MMO.

The races looked pretty dated in Oblivion - the cat people in skyrim look like a expansion pack from EQ1.

It's directed by the guy from DaoC.

The MMO star is waning for me - I wanted to love SWTOR but I lasted 2 months.

Oh and I'd prefer fallout - had enough of elves to last a lifetime.

How about a race with 3 legs, or a cat based race that moves like a cat not a furry human? How about instead of orcs a sapient race with a disturbing number of legs rather than slightly elongated lower canines.

How about a game where a talented newcomer can run circles around someone who has played for years but sucks? No matter what the 'level'?

This comment was edited on May 3, 2012, 19:37.

91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo