Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole?

Though we don't see an announcements anywhere referring to this, there is now a red banner across the top of the front page of FilePlanet from indicating that this files archive is no longer active, saying: "Note: FilePlanet is no longer being updated and is in the process of being archived." This game file repository that was once popular enough to successfully charge subscription fees was launched by GameSpy back in the late 20th century. It came into the possession of IGN in 2004 and a year later IGN was acquired by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. Thanks Auger.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 7, 2012, 01:29 Ant

Ouch. It's not just FilePlanet. It is also its small sites like PlanetDiablo, PlanetWolfenstein, etc. All going dead.

So who is left to host files like FileFront, FilePlanet, etc.?

Yes, I miss cdrom.com too.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 6, 2012, 20:00 Jerykk

The reason I moved exclusively to digital distribution was to make my life easier. That's one of the reasons I don't use GOG.com much - manually installing games is tedious, especially when dealing with hundreds of games and dual-booting.

Wha? GOG simplifies the whole process. Installations take about three clicks and the games come pre-patched. GOG games also run on all the major OSes.

41. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 4, 2012, 18:51 theyarecomingforyou

I always used to use FileFront instead of Fileplanet, but I just noticed that it too had disappeared. Clearly there isn't much demand for it, nor profit to be made.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

40. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 4, 2012, 16:40  Frans 

Bhruic wrote on May 4, 2012, 15:55:
Frans wrote on May 4, 2012, 10:20:
Matthias' goal is to have all official patches. If you know of some that aren't on the site, let him know so he can look into it.
Oh, yeah, I know that's the goal, and I'm not knocking the site for not having everything. But when I'm looking for something they don't have, well, it's usually because I don't have it either.
I didn't expect you would, but Matthias has 20+ years of experience hunting down patches, so there is a chance he may be able to dig it up as yet. Then again, if a patch isn't on his site already, there's a greater chance it simply doesn't exist.

-- Frans

39. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 4, 2012, 15:55 Bhruic

Frans wrote on May 4, 2012, 10:20:
Bhruic wrote on May 3, 2012, 19:47:
patches-scrolls.de is quite good. Hell, they've got patches for games as old as Doom up there. They haven't got everything, but it's usually the first place I look if I need to patch an older game.
Matthias' goal is to have all official patches. If you know of some that aren't on the site, let him know so he can look into it.

Oh, yeah, I know that's the goal, and I'm not knocking the site for not having everything. But when I'm looking for something they don't have, well, it's usually because I don't have it either.

38. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 4, 2012, 14:45 theyarecomingforyou

PhysicalEd wrote on May 3, 2012, 14:20:
I guess the people who say FilePlanet is irrelevant havent dug out a really old game disc and tried to patch it up. Last time I had to do that FP was the only site I could find that had all the patches. Next time I guess I will have to just re-buy it on Steam or GOG.
Yeah, but if we're talking about pre-Steam era games then it's just as likely they won't work at all. And even when I was still buying games at retail - over half a decade ago - I simply maintained a folder with all the patches, no-CD cracks and mods for games.

I say good riddance to it, to be honest. I really can't be bothered jumping through hoops to play dated games. The reason I moved exclusively to digital distribution was to make my life easier. That's one of the reasons I don't use GOG.com much - manually installing games is tedious, especially when dealing with hundreds of games and dual-booting.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

37. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 4, 2012, 10:26  Frans 

Beelzebud wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:59:
CDROM.Com was the good site, and when it closed up, and mutated into file planet, it was all downhill.
I don't think the Walnut Creek FTP mutated into FilePlanet. AFAIK it was started and populated from scratch by GameSpy.

Verno wrote on May 3, 2012, 14:05:
I downloaded so many demos, patches and *nix related stuff from Walnut Creek.
A number of WC hierarchies (like idgames, idgames2, planetquake, UWP-UML, etc) were mirrored on ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/ which has been the master site for those historical archives (and the GamesDomain and 3DPortal FTPs too) ever since.

This comment was edited on May 4, 2012, 16:41.

-- Frans

36. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 4, 2012, 10:20  Frans 

Bhruic wrote on May 3, 2012, 19:47:
patches-scrolls.de is quite good. Hell, they've got patches for games as old as Doom up there. They haven't got everything, but it's usually the first place I look if I need to patch an older game.

-- Frans

35. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 4, 2012, 05:07 Theo

Haz wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:11:
Hung around in Gamespy3D chat way too much back in the day. Was interesting to see it morph into the collection of sites and services over the years. Was a paid weekend Admin in Arcade for about a year. Then I went psychotic and quit. Shut down the Counter Strike chat lobby the night I quit and told all present that I was an Admin with a Ban Button and no reason NOT to use it! Good Times!

FilePlanet going to the pay model sucked, but I used it for awhile. Also paid a month at a time to get in on the occasional Beta. Good speeds and for the most part resumable downloads that were great for the day.

Good Hunting! %-)
HazDaGeek
#

my fucking lord, It might have been you that recruited me in to the arcade helpers program or at least referred me to karen.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

34. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 4, 2012, 04:53 Jerykk

Not surprised. With game demos becoming increasingly rare and games being automatically patched via third-party clients like Steam, the need for a site like FP has pretty much disappeared. If you're looking for mods, there are already sites dedicated to them and in much greater depth than anything FP ever had.  

33. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 22:15 Hellbinder

wow this truly is the apocalypse...

as i think back over the years of using fileplanet... i feel like my kidney just got ripped out.

sometimes change sucks.

The Whales name is Bob.

32. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 19:47 Bhruic

I guess the people who say FilePlanet is irrelevant havent dug out a really old game disc and tried to patch it up. Last time I had to do that FP was the only site I could find that had all the patches. Next time I guess I will have to just re-buy it on Steam or GOG.

31. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 16:36 Creston

netnerd85 wrote on May 3, 2012, 14:39:
Indeed. There is a place for everything, just because some people don't agree doesn't make it true.

Just put together an old Windows 98 machine for some good old gaming.

I simply have all the patches for all my old games. I guess not everyone has a staggering 1 Gig of extra disc space to keep that stuff around?

Creston

30. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 16:27 Prez

Blackhawk wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:04:
Their system for non subscribers was awful, but there is a big downside to this:

There are hundreds of gigs of mods for thousands of games spanning more than a decade that don't exist anywhere else. If FilePlanet shuts down, many of those will be permanently lost.

What you often see in cases like this is people uploading the files to www.moddb.com. By all means, if you have a file that can't be found elsewhere put it on moddb - they are going strong and aren't going anywhere any time soon. If you do so, however, just be sure to make it very clear you are not the author of any of the mods and you are just archiving; the mod scene can be extremely sensitive about this sort of thing.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

29. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 15:37 DangerDog

Quick, someone download the planet!  

28. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 15:11 Hump

I haven't gone to FP in 5 years or more. I'd forgotten all about it.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

27. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 14:58 Dev

Except a game is not always available there. Plus what if you want a particular patch version, steam forces to latest.

26. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 14:39 netnerd85

Indeed. There is a place for everything, just because some people don't agree doesn't make it true.

Just put together an old Windows 98 machine for some good old gaming.

25. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 14:20 PhysicalEd

24. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 14:05 Verno

Beelzebud wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:59:
I don't have fond memories of fileplanet like most people seem to have.

CDROM.Com was the good site, and when it closed up, and mutated into file planet, it was all downhill.

RIP ftp.cdrom.com

I downloaded so many demos, patches and *nix related stuff from Walnut Creek.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo