Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole?

Though we don't see an announcements anywhere referring to this, there is now a red banner across the top of the front page of FilePlanet from indicating that this files archive is no longer active, saying: "Note: FilePlanet is no longer being updated and is in the process of being archived." This game file repository that was once popular enough to successfully charge subscription fees was launched by GameSpy back in the late 20th century. It came into the possession of IGN in 2004 and a year later IGN was acquired by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. Thanks Auger.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

3. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 09:49 Cutter

nin wrote on May 3, 2012, 09:45:
Wow, flashback! Remember when we used to have to hunt patches down?

There were plenty of file sites out there. I'm glad I never subscribed to FP or the Lamespy empire.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 09:48 Beckett

Fileplanet has always been my go-to site for old game demos and patches.

If it goes away, what's a good alternative site for this sort of thing (that won't embed spyware, make me click through 50 ads, or force me to install a downloader tool)?

1. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 09:45 nin

Wow, flashback! Remember when we used to have to hunt patches down?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo