Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole?

Though we don't see an announcements anywhere referring to this, there is now a red banner across the top of the front page of FilePlanet from indicating that this files archive is no longer active, saying: "Note: FilePlanet is no longer being updated and is in the process of being archived." This game file repository that was once popular enough to successfully charge subscription fees was launched by GameSpy back in the late 20th century. It came into the possession of IGN in 2004 and a year later IGN was acquired by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. Thanks Auger.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 13:59 Beelzebud

I don't have fond memories of fileplanet like most people seem to have.

CDROM.Com was the good site, and when it closed up, and mutated into file planet, it was all downhill.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 13:39 Creston

Bye Fileplanet. We hardly used ye.

Creston

21. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 13:20 Quboid

Elf Shot The Food wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:00:
Direct2Drive was bought by Gamefly.

Ta, that's the one.

FilePlanet belongs in the 20th century.

- Quboid

20. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 13:18 Wallshadows

One of the most over-rated websites that I can think of. While they felt the need to throttle bandwidth and introduce a queue system to those unwilling to pay for premium access, I felt the need to find patches, mods or demos elsewhere without all that bullshit.

Good riddance.

As for IGN, well, I haven't given a damn about them since they bought and butchered voodooextreme.

19. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 13:18 sauron

Blue wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:11:
It came into the possession of IGN in 2004 and a year later IGN was acquired by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

Explains how Duke Nukem's phone got hacked, at least.

Kittens!

18. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 13:11 Haz

Hung around in Gamespy3D chat way too much back in the day. Was interesting to see it morph into the collection of sites and services over the years. Was a paid weekend Admin in Arcade for about a year. Then I went psychotic and quit. Shut down the Counter Strike chat lobby the night I quit and told all present that I was an Admin with a Ban Button and no reason NOT to use it! Good Times!

FilePlanet going to the pay model sucked, but I used it for awhile. Also paid a month at a time to get in on the occasional Beta. Good speeds and for the most part resumable downloads that were great for the day.

Good Hunting! %-)
HazDaGeek

17. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 13:04 Deathbishop

I don't really think FP is needed or relevant anymore. FP was launched at a time when there really wasn't a whole lot of places on the internet where you could find demos or mods but there are now numerous sites dedicated to their respective games which offer these things, plus centralized sites for mods like moddb. Steam is also one that probably put the nail in the coffin, as you can get demos off their as well.  

16. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 13:00 Elf Shot The Food

Direct2Drive was bought by Gamefly.  

15. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 12:49 Quboid

I seem to remember FilePlanet and Direct2Drive being bought quite recently (a year ago-ish), by some other digital download service. Perhaps this is to do with that?

I got emails about this as I was a subscriber back in the day. Man, remember having to manually patch games? It was worth it IMHO, back when I got ADSL and had hundreds of kilobytes a second to burn. No other service could max out my connection as reliably as a paid FilePlanet subscription.

- Quboid

14. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 12:39 PHJF

FilePlanet was also my goto games-related download site...

... until they made me sit in a fucking queue.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 12:31 Theo

I used to moderate various gamespy services back in the day before IGN got its hands on them. Mainly back when planetquake was my daily read/community. (was on the arcade/3d moderation and helper team).

its really sad to see what became of gamespy, the "no smacktards" line still makes me laugh to this day.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

12. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 12:07 Verno

Blackhawk wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:04:
Their system for non subscribers was awful, but there is a big downside to this:

There are hundreds of gigs of mods for thousands of games spanning more than a decade that don't exist anywhere else. If FilePlanet shuts down, many of those will be permanently lost.

Yeah, I remember going back to replay Oblivion last year and there was some mods on Fileplanet that still hadn't been rehosted on TES Nexus.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

11. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 12:04 Blackhawk

Their system for non subscribers was awful, but there is a big downside to this:

There are hundreds of gigs of mods for thousands of games spanning more than a decade that don't exist anywhere else. If FilePlanet shuts down, many of those will be permanently lost.

10. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 12:03 CommunistHamster

Back in the day I always preferred filefront. They were saved from death last year iirc.

Gamershell is good for old game demos and patches.

9. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 10:57 Prez

It may be nerdy nostalgia, but I'll be sad to see them go. Many hundreds of gigs-worth of demos, mods, patches, games, and videos came to me through Fileplanet over the years.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

8. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 10:11 Viper114

Times are changing. I remember how big it was way back when, but with things like Steam and Origin and similar offering the same offers with less hassle and better service, Fileplanet's demise was inevitable.  

7. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 10:08 NKD

Not a whole lot of need for a site like this anymore. File distribution is more decentralized now, game demos are not really a big thing anymore on the PC, a lot of patching takes place automatically through the ever-more-popular Steam, and a premium fee business model has very little place when there are a million better places (or torrents) to get any file you might be looking for.

Lots of factors lead to the irrelevancy of Fileplanet.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

6. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 10:02 InBlack

Once they started charging, their service went down the toilet. I mean its not like they could earn anything from advertising dollars....  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 09:53 theyarecomingforyou

It is no longer relevant. Not only that but they offered a shitty service for non-paying members, which saw the introduction of a queuing system and speed limits designed entirely to piss people off. Few people were willing to pay when they could simply go to the game's website and download it at full speed for free, without having to register. And why would anyone pay money to a website that treats people like shit to encourage them to upgrade?

What they should have done is move all the files over to torrents and made their money through advertising. There was simply no attempt made to adapt to the market and the site rightly deserves to die. Heck, when I followed the link I didn't even recognise the site to clearly I haven't visited it for a LONG time.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

4. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 09:51 DaZ

Farewell old friend.  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo