Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On PC Black Ops II

PC Gamer grills Mark Lamia about Call of Duty: Black Ops II, asking the studio head at Treyarch about the just-revealed first-person shooter sequel, focusing on questions about the PC edition. This doesn't yield a lot of concrete answers, as he effectively dodges the question about dedicated servers, saying "we havenít yet announced exactly what that setup is going to be." He does speak of how this uncertainty related to cheat prevention, and how their aggressive development cycle does not include time for beta testing, but also defers questions about LAN support, though he does speak of eSports support, which would obviously benefit from things like LAN support and dedicated servers.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 4, 2012, 02:55 ForgedReality

This is why I don't buy games anymore.

Or rarely anyway. I only buy games that deserve it. The last one I bought was Skyrim, and I don't really see any on the horizon that are begging to be purchased.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 3, 2012, 09:26 Verno

Draugr wrote on May 2, 2012, 21:24:
Not adding a single player component to every game would make people relize how little effort they actually put between iterations. People are currently paying for the same/similar MP experience every year (as was said, this is where most people spend time in the game) not including some flashy SP is going to highlight that fact.

Indeed, it's the same reason that Madden markets a bunch of "new" features every year to distract from the roster updates.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

48. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 3, 2012, 06:05 durandal

lol Treyarech.
"We are a PC Developer"
Do you guys remember that one?

47. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 21:24 Draugr

Flatline wrote on May 2, 2012, 19:47:
What I don't understand is why they don't just bite the fucking bullet and make it multiplayer only.

I honestly can't tell you much about Black Ops campaign, except that Castro was in it briefly, and that's because the game slowed down and shoved that in our faces. Oh, and there were WW2 soviets I think. Or something. And Jungle. That's my memory of BO single player. And I played through it twice.

At this point I might be more interested in CoD if they ditched single player and made some massive steps forward in Multiplayer, which is where the longevity of the game is at anyway.

Oh, also, killstreak perks suck from a paradigm perspective. I'll just say it. Rewarding players who are already skilled with the easy button of killing more dudes is frustrating if you're not particularly good.

Not adding a single player component to every game would make people relize how little effort they actually put between iterations. People are currently paying for the same/similar MP experience every year (as was said, this is where most people spend time in the game) not including some flashy SP is going to highlight that fact.

46. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 20:11 RaZ0r!

What I don't understand is why they don't just bite the fucking bullet and make it multiplayer only.

Good question. I own all CoD PC titles, and I have never played the single player on any of them. Actually, the only one I even started up the single player on is the original CoD.

45. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 19:57 Dev

Probably because there's still a few who buy it only for the single player campaign. And thats where they can put cool looking cut scenes in the game that they can use for ads and trailers.

If they thought they could net more money without it, trust me, they wouldn't bother to put it in.

44. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 19:47 Flatline

I honestly can't tell you much about Black Ops campaign, except that Castro was in it briefly, and that's because the game slowed down and shoved that in our faces. Oh, and there were WW2 soviets I think. Or something. And Jungle. That's my memory of BO single player. And I played through it twice.

At this point I might be more interested in CoD if they ditched single player and made some massive steps forward in Multiplayer, which is where the longevity of the game is at anyway.

Oh, also, killstreak perks suck from a paradigm perspective. I'll just say it. Rewarding players who are already skilled with the easy button of killing more dudes is frustrating if you're not particularly good.

43. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 18:57 theyarecomingforyou

AnointedSword wrote on May 2, 2012, 17:05:
The evil corporations are at it again! Gasp! How dare they make money off of games that they work on! Greedy! Vote for Obama so we can get our games and skittles for free (or at least until economic collapse!).

With all that said, I will probably buy this game.
If people didn't want to support developers/publishers then they'd just pirate everything and save themselves the money. The reality is that gamers WANT to support the industry and people here hate it when shitty companies like Activision rehash games with the same engine, a pathetically short singleplayer, the same multiplayer and charge over-the-odds for it, all the while fucking over PC gamers by not taking advantage of the platform or simply offering a token gesture.

Skyrim offered dramatically more content for a lower price, as well as better support and excellent community tools. They also discounted the game early on and have generally respected the community. Same with The Witcher 2 and the extra content they put out for free. If you want to support shitty publishers putting out overpriced shitty games then all I can say is fuck you for making the games industry a soulless corporate monstrosity.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

42. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 18:15 Cutter

AnointedSword wrote on May 2, 2012, 17:05:
The evil corporations are at it again! Gasp! How dare they make money off of games that they work on! Greedy! Vote for Obama so we can get our games and skittles for free (or at least until economic collapse!).

Shouldn't you be banging some rocks together someplace?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

41. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 18:10 KilrathiAce

All the kiddies will buy this game due to the brand name and hype, nevermind if the actual game is same crap as before.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

40. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 17:05 AnointedSword

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

39. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 16:51 Darks

SpectralMeat wrote on May 2, 2012, 14:54:
Highlander wrote on May 2, 2012, 14:51:
DONE with the Call of Duty series. Hoping that EA can pickup the ball with the next MOH and give us PC players what we need, instead of lies.

Giving up on Activision in hopes that EA will do any better?
Don't hold your breath

Seriously, this is like taking 3 steps back. At least Activision will sell this game on Steam unlike those greedy bastards at EA. Use Origin? Not happening!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

38. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 16:45 Beamer

DangerDog wrote on May 2, 2012, 15:22:
I love it when they answer questions about the PC platform and act all clueless about features that will or won't be in the game, it's like the PC version is being coded on another planet with month long transmission times for communication. The reality is that it's one cubicle over from where they're making the console version.

Yeah, but most likely that cubicle has a whiteboard with a list of features split into three groups - likely, possible, cut.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 16:43 Tumbler

The reality is that it's one cubicle over from where they're making the console version.

That sounded so much cooler when I read it as, "it's one Crucible over from where they're making the console version."

I immediately started seeing a war raging between two gigantic crucibles, arrows screaming through the air, Wildfire exploding on the walls, the war drums from Lord of the Rings playing in the back ground.

Then I read it again...oh....cubicle...so much less exciting. I'm listening to the Game of Thrones books on tape right now and everything is beginning to blur into scenes in those books. I even bust out phrases and start rhyming my speech at times, this is an amazing experience. I highly recommend Audible.com and those audio books. Costs $20 a book and I believe the first one ends up being free with a new membership but omg it's sooo fucking good.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

36. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 16:07 Cutter

Do you really think anything will have changed, much less improve for the PC edition by now? Do you really not already know the answers to these questions by now? LOL.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

35. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 15:22 DangerDog

I love it when they answer questions about the PC platform and act all clueless about features that will or won't be in the game, it's like the PC version is being coded on another planet with month long transmission times for communication. The reality is that it's one cubicle over from where they're making the console version.

34. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 15:13 nin

Wow, just saw some art. Didn't know Kenny Fucking Powers was in this!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

33. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 14:54 SpectralMeat

Highlander wrote on May 2, 2012, 14:51:
DONE with the Call of Duty series. Hoping that EA can pickup the ball with the next MOH and give us PC players what we need, instead of lies.

Giving up on Activision in hopes that EA will do any better?
Don't hold your breath

Steam: SpectralMeat

32. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 14:52 nin

Hoping that EA can pickup the ball with the next MOH and give us PC players what we need, instead of lies.

Good Luck With That.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 14:51 Highlander

Admittedly, Treyarch has catered well to the PC users, unlike Infinity Ward. But the dodged questions about dedicated servers really does send a message that their business strategy has shifted to the console market and that PC players will suffer with the next BO title.

Even if they gave us the same dedicated server model as Black Ops currently uses that would be better than what Infinity Ward has given us. Peer 2 peer gaming sucks, and does NOTHING to prevent cheating in the short term, if at all.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo