Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Morning Consolidation May 3, 2012, 08:56 Golwar

Imho the third sub-tier option from the survery seems almost to be too good to be true.

40 of the newest PSN titles with the highest quality for free? A 75% discount on any other game or DLC? And all that for the lowest fee?

I know that I'd pick that option within a second. I mean I'm already satisfied with the offer, even in Europe meanwhile. But I wouldn't mind so see further improvement.

This comment was edited on May 3, 2012, 09:47.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Morning Consolidation May 3, 2012, 02:51 mag

Jivaro wrote on May 2, 2012, 19:57:
If PSN+ was charging what XBL charges monthly/yearly, there is no way in hell I would consider it worth it. I mean, it comes out to 5 dollars a month (less then actually since paying a year ahead of time gets you two months free). I hate to be so cliche about it, but I spend that on coffee every day. For what it brings to the table, its seems fair. You are right though, it isn't anywhere near being in the same league as XBL or Steam in many ways.

That is how much XBL costs, isn't it? $60/yr?

22. Re: Morning Consolidation May 3, 2012, 00:30 eRe4s3r

I meant it "per game" Overall Pirates are probably very picky and buy stuff they absolutely want or from developers they love. But those aside, a proper pirate likely pirates everything he sees even games he buys or bought. Point being, if a pirate buys things its direct profit for a developer. Hence 0% *lost* profit. When pirates buy stuff its profit a developer should never have expected!

Used game sales on the other hand, are always bad for a developer. Much worse than piracy.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 19:57 Jivaro

Verno wrote on May 2, 2012, 16:05:
Jivaro wrote on May 2, 2012, 15:49:
Yeah, I consider my Plus membership to have been worth it as well. A ton of games, betas, discounts etc for a yearly rate equal to the cost of one new game. I have a PSP to take advantage of the ports and Minis that are given away as well, which probably makes a huge difference as opposed to someone who doesn't. A lot of the free games are PSOne ports or are from the "MiniS" section.

That said....I am skeptical/cynical/etc of a tier system. Its like the cable tv plans. That one thing I want most will be in one tier...and everything else will be in another. Sure, I can go cheap and live without that one thing, but if it is the most attractive thing about any of it...then why do it at all?

I am not sure that made sense. It makes sense in my currently caffeine deficient brain.

Interesting, thanks for your thoughts. Personally I thought most of those things should have been thrown in already considering the otherwise "adequate" nature of PSN. I guess put differently I don't consider PSN to be on par with Steam or XBL so the thought of paying them for the service seemed pretty iffy.

If PSN+ was charging what XBL charges monthly/yearly, there is no way in hell I would consider it worth it. I mean, it comes out to 5 dollars a month (less then actually since paying a year ahead of time gets you two months free). I hate to be so cliche about it, but I spend that on coffee every day. For what it brings to the table, its seems fair. You are right though, it isn't anywhere near being in the same league as XBL or Steam in many ways.

I didn't go with an XBOX360 for a few reasons, but one of them is that I don't want to have to pay monthly to have access to things I already pay a monthly subscription for. For example, don't you have to have some level of paying subscription to access Netflix on a 360? So if I want Netflix through my 360, I have to pay monthly for internet, pay monthly for netflix, and pay monthly for xboxlive. I just couldn't see how that made sense when on a PS3 or even a Wii I could just install the Netflix app and go...no more money needed.

For that reason when Sony starts talking tiers I get worried. Are they going to start making my PS3 a brick if I don't pay them at least something per month? I mean, MS can get away with it, they have to be thinking that they should be able to as well.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 18:27 Bhruic

No it's about what a person reads into what someone else says, and cherry-picks what they want out of it

Yes, nothing like quoting an entire paragraph from a 9 paragraph article, of which only 3 are actually by the indidvidual in question. Damn that "cherry-picking".

I personally could see several reasons why I would pirate a single player game.

If only that were relevant to a discussion about blocking used game sales. Sadly, it's not. Nor was the producer's comment. If single player games don't get made because of piracy, then stopping second-hand sales would have absolutely no impact on getting single player games made. They still wouldn't get made (if one believes his argument) even if it were impossible to sell a used game.

And yet, in the preceding sentence, he had just claimed you would see more games being made if there wasn't second-hand games. So he's basically contradicted himself within the same paragraph. The only way out of that contradiction is if he's making the claim that stopping second-hand sales is simultaneously stopping piracy.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 18:23 Orogogus

The Half Elf wrote on May 2, 2012, 18:11:
Single Player games (with rare exceptions) are typically 6-8 hours long.

It's not that rare. I think it's more just first- and third-person shooters, and adventure games. And most indie games, I guess. Virtually any RPG, strategy game or sandbox game from a large publisher will be more than 8 hours long.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 18:20 Cutter

Yes, but the inescapable logic he's missing entirely is that if people are that hard-up that they're going to wait to buy a used copy at Gamestop for a mere $5 dollars less then maybe they should just lower their prices to begin with.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 18:11 The Half Elf

No it's about what a person reads into what someone else says, and cherry-picks what they want out of it.

I personally could see several reasons why I would pirate a single player game.
1)No authentication due to lack of multiplayer
2)Why spend 60 bucks on a game that doesn't have some sort of multiplayer content. Single Player games (with rare exceptions) are typically 6-8 hours long.
3)No replay value with rare exception of games like Skyrim, Fallout, etc.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

16. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 17:56 Bhruic

The Half Elf wrote on May 2, 2012, 17:47:
Bhruic wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:36:
Oh, and as an addition... I thought it was awesome that he said:
"But in theory, you could see it the other way, because a lot of companies making games today are struggling based on second-hand sales," Bach said. "So on the positive side, you could see more games being created because of this, and also more new IPs, because there'd be a bigger market for games that don't have, for instance, multiplayer. There could be awesome single-player-only games, which you can't really do these days because people just pirate them, which is sad.

Yup, a producer who thinks that second-hand sales are piracy.

No he says second-hand sales of SINGLE PLAYER GAMES are pirated more, which is true. If you have a game that has a multiplayer component, and they have to log into a server to play then you will have less piracy of a game that they can just download and requires no online authentication.

Yeah, I know what he said. But he started it off with companies struggling because of second-hand sales. He didn't start it off with companies struggling because of piracy. So if he was really talking about struggling with second-hand sales, why not end it with "which you can't really do these days because people just buy them second-hand"?

Piracy wasn't mentioned anywhere in his speech until that moment. So why introduce it into a discussion about stopping second-hand sales? Why make a point of saying single player games don't get made because of piracy (not true, but still)?

The only real conclusion to make is that he is equating the two.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 17:47 The Half Elf

"But in theory, you could see it the other way, because a lot of companies making games today are struggling based on second-hand sales," Bach said. "So on the positive side, you could see more games being created because of this, and also more new IPs, because there'd be a bigger market for games that don't have, for instance, multiplayer. There could be awesome single-player-only games, which you can't really do these days because people just pirate them, which is sad.

No he says second-hand sales of SINGLE PLAYER GAMES are pirated more, which is true. If you have a game that has a multiplayer component, and they have to log into a server to play then you will have less piracy of a game that they can just download and requires no online authentication.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 16:42 Fly

"Microsoft secures patent for wearable controller."

This already was done a long time ago..and what a cool time it was. You know you wanted one of these..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93iDhnBcMGo

"This is more than anyone can bear, but we will persevere." -Vort

13. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 16:29 Cutter

Bach said the measures would be a loss only if it meant consumers would find themselves with fewer games for the same amount of money.

What a bonehead. More like if people know they can't sell or trade their used games then they'll simply wait for prices to come down and the publishers still won't be making the sort of money they feel they're entitled too. I really don't give a shit though because I won't ever be buying another console again anyway.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 16:05 Verno

Jivaro wrote on May 2, 2012, 15:49:
Yeah, I consider my Plus membership to have been worth it as well. A ton of games, betas, discounts etc for a yearly rate equal to the cost of one new game. I have a PSP to take advantage of the ports and Minis that are given away as well, which probably makes a huge difference as opposed to someone who doesn't. A lot of the free games are PSOne ports or are from the "MiniS" section.

That said....I am skeptical/cynical/etc of a tier system. Its like the cable tv plans. That one thing I want most will be in one tier...and everything else will be in another. Sure, I can go cheap and live without that one thing, but if it is the most attractive thing about any of it...then why do it at all?

I am not sure that made sense. It makes sense in my currently caffeine deficient brain.

Interesting, thanks for your thoughts. Personally I thought most of those things should have been thrown in already considering the otherwise "adequate" nature of PSN. I guess put differently I don't consider PSN to be on par with Steam or XBL so the thought of paying them for the service seemed pretty iffy.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 15:49 Jivaro

10. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 15:15 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on May 2, 2012, 15:01:
But that is true. Used game sales directly steal money. Pirates just copy games.

So yeah, piracy is actually a lot less worse than used game sales. Even if 70% would not buy a game if it weren't used.. the other 30% would, so thats a clean 30% lost profit.

While pirates would never consider buying anything, which makes it 0% lost profit. (in fact, if pirates DO buy ye game then you get extra profit you should never have expected to make!)

There's no way it's 0%, as plenty of pirates would buy stuff if pirating wasn't available. I mean, quite literally, if you eradicating piracy tomorrow and piracy was no longer an option you'd have an increase in sales. How much is definitely open to debate, and pirates absolutely do buy stuff, anyway. I'd guess most pirates are among the highest spenders of games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 15:01 eRe4s3r

But that is true. Used game sales directly steal money. Pirates just copy games.

So yeah, piracy is actually a lot less worse than used game sales. Even if 70% would not buy a game if it weren't used.. the other 30% would, so thats a clean 30% lost profit.

While pirates would never consider buying anything, which makes it 0% lost profit. (in fact, if pirates DO buy ye game then you get extra profit you should never have expected to make!)

8. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 13:41 Beamer

I'd say they lead to more lost sales than piracy.

: :-ducks-: :

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 13:39 Verno

killer_roach wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:19:
I'd say it's been worth it... granted, a lot of the freebies are stuff I'd likely wait until it was on some sort of a sale to buy, but I'd say it's easily been worth the price I've paid for it.

Out of curiosity, which specific features did you like? Or was it mostly the discounts?

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

6. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 13:36 Bhruic

5. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 13:24 Bhruic

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 2, 2012, 11:48:
Battlefield 3 producer says blocking used games can be beneficial.

*cough* BULLSHIT *cough*

First of all it is a producer saying this. Only driven by the bottom line. Make better games and people won't sell your game, they will keep it.

No, no, it's not bullshit, he's absolutely right. Here's his quote:
Battlefield 3 executive producer Patrick Bach has told CVG that blocking used games on next-generation consoles can be "a win and a loss."

So yeah, it's a win for publishers, and a loss for consumers.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo