Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Morning Metaverse May 3, 2012, 18:28 Dades

Yeah I loved Terminator, the whole cast was great. I was really skeptical about Shirley Manson being cast but even she played out pretty well. It's too bad Terminator Salvation bombed because that was supposed to drive viewers to the show and the whole reason Fox wanted it in the first place.

You have good taste buddy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Morning Metaverse May 3, 2012, 00:49 Prez

Dades wrote on May 2, 2012, 21:33:
Prez wrote on May 2, 2012, 16:45:
Despite the likelihood being extremely low, every time a story about Netflix saving a dying or dead TV show comes up I immediately think of "Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles". The plot (especially of the second season) got borderline ridiculous, but I always felt the show could be great in the right hands.

Hell, while I'm dreaming, how about another season of "Firefly"? (We'll just forget the whole [SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!] Wash and Shepherd being dead thing from "Serenity", mkay?)

Hell yes, Terminator was a great show. I even liked the introspective Sarah episodes as it was a change from the usual action fare. They pulled no punches with some of those character deaths too, that show had some balls.

My favorite characters were Cameron (Glau made a cool Terminatrix) James Ellison, Cromartie (Dilahunt was perfect), and Derrick Reese. None of the actors or actresses were stand-out horrible (with the possible exception of Riley) but the way some of them were written was just awful. By middle of the second season most everyone I knew who watched the show wouldn't have cared if Emo John Connor was run over by a bus - he was SO unlikeable, and not in a good way.

I think the writers strike that drastically shortened the first season upset the series' flow overall. Throw in some pretty bad writing in places and gross network meddling and really the show was destined for failure.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 21:58 .Drifter

eRe4s3r wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:21:
The thing is the technology is actually pretty cheap nowadays, the problem is and always will be that with CGI stuff you have to have good (and i mean great) actors. And even better writers. Why you ask? Because Terra Nova as a whole had a pretty damn stupid concept

Why not make a series about earth colonists colonizing world X and then go off from there. Terra Nova as it was certainly does not deserve a continuation.

I want a good sci-fi show! Not a sitcom with dinosaurs

They already made a show about earth colonists colonizing world X.
It was called Earth 2, and from what little I remember of it, it sucked.

24. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 21:33 Dades

Despite the likelihood being extremely low, every time a story about Netflix saving a dying or dead TV show comes up I immediately think of "Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles". The plot (especially of the second season) got borderline ridiculous, but I always felt the show could be great in the right hands.

Hell, while I'm dreaming, how about another season of "Firefly"? (We'll just forget the whole [SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!] Wash and Shepherd being dead thing from "Serenity", mkay?)

Hell yes, Terminator was a great show. I even liked the introspective Sarah episodes as it was a change from the usual action fare. They pulled no punches with some of those character deaths too, that show had some balls.

23. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 18:46 Bradley

The one thing that always bothered me about Jericho was that every house seemed to have an inexhaustible supply of candles constantly burning in every shot. Even during the day time. I would have though candles would be too damn valuable to burn like that in their situation.  

22. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 18:18 killer_roach

Prez wrote on May 2, 2012, 14:42:
nin wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:43:
Arrested Development was also listed as a show that Netflix was interested in reviving, but I never heard if anything came of it.

You might want to step out of your cave then.

I'm like the guy on the Geico commercial who lives under a rock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvXqm0RdJms

The way to get Prez's attention would be if they announced a game being developed based on the show.

21. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 18:01 Bhruic

I always dreamed that if I won the lottery, I'd use part of the money to produce more episodes. My only two clauses with Joss would be that a) the movie didn't happen, and b) no killing any main character in the first (new) season.

But, sadly, it's time to let that go. Well, I'm not going to win the lottery, for starters, but more importantly, the actors have all moved on. And too much time has passed. As much as I'd have loved to see more Firefly, it just ain't going to happen.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 17:41 Dmitri_M

The Terminator franchise is just plain great though. Which makes that show seem even sillier than it turned out to be. It needed less bloated story lines, and better execution. How hard is that to pull off.. Network television story by committee disease.

Action orientated TV series always seem to take on too much. Terminator wasn't always about giant explosions, it was about menace. You don't have the budget to make a movie each episode. Rather than have 15 Terminators, one being the CEO of a large corporation (urg), find a "new Arnold" and just have him relentlessly hunting a group of actors who can actually act without convoluted story lines.

I'd like to see HBO's take on Terminator, not Fox's.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2012, 17:51.

19. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 17:37 PHJF

I always wondered, what do they do with the made up languages with subtitles? For instance, Daenerys speaking Dothraki, do they have the German voiceover actress speak her lines in Dothraki, or do they leave in her original voice?

I was under the impression writers actually wrote a Dothraki language specifically for the show (much like huge nerds speaking Klingon). Localizaiton actors probably say exactly what the original Daenerys says.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 16:57 Tumbler

If they can rebuild that girl in the fifth element from her burned hand I think we can figure out someway to bring those two guys back. It's the future!

With absolutely no clue how much money or management is involved I think Netflix should jump head first into making original content exclusively for their service the same way Starz and Showtime and HBO do.

I much preferred watching Spartacus on Netflix and I'd never have paid for Starz to watch Spartacus season 2 but it was free with my cable bill. Was a good show but I'm not planning on paying for the channel when season 3 comes around. I wish netflix would offer all those channels (starz, showtime, hbo, etc,) via their site the same way cable companies offer them for an extra fee.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

17. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 16:45 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 15:17 eunichron

eRe4s3r wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:43:
Except Netflix is US only, so all that'd do for me is change who's stuff i *have* to pirate when I want to see it (in a decent time-frame) in the original language and uncut. You wouldn't believe what a crap fest the German Games of Thrones is. Compared to the original, that is.

I always wondered, what do they do with the made up languages with subtitles? For instance, Daenerys speaking Dothraki, do they have the German voiceover actress speak her lines in Dothraki, or do they leave in her original voice?

15. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 14:42 Prez

nin wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:43:
Arrested Development was also listed as a show that Netflix was interested in reviving, but I never heard if anything came of it.

I'm like the guy on the Geico commercial who lives under a rock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvXqm0RdJms

- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 14:16 ForgedReality

Verno wrote on May 2, 2012, 11:39:
ForgedReality wrote on May 2, 2012, 11:27:
You're on crack. Jericho was awesome. What "far better" shows are in danger of being canceled? There is next to nothing good on TV anymore.

Everyone has their opinion but I don't really see where the quality was in Jericho. The pilot was solid but the rest of the show never lived up to it. It had an interesting concept but focused too much on the small town drama to cater to its network audience. The cast wasn't particularly good either with the wooden Skeet Ulrich as a lead. They can't really do Jericho on a TV budget either without limiting the scope, it should have always been a miniseries production. As for shows to save, how about Awake just off the top of my head? The only decent procedural I've seen in ages, too smart for the room unfortunately. Every year we get several promising shows that fail to find an audience without needing to go back to middling network dramas.

If you can't find anything good to watch on TV then you're not even trying - Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Luther, Community, Person of Interest, Sherlock (BBC), Grimm, The Big C and so on. I'm sure others can add more.

I don't really watch TV. Occasionally, I'll watch OnDemand with a friend. Some good ones I've discovered are: Shark Tank, American Restoration, Car Warriors, My Ride Rules, Tanked, Dream Rides, Workaholics.

Notice, none of these are even character shows (with the exception of Workaholics), because I think everything like that on TV is terrible now. I'd sooner watch old shows I have on my computer that I've seen a thousand times over all that overrated bullshit on TV.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 13:55 Verno

Prez wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:41:
Arrested Development was also listed as a show that Netflix was interested in reviving, but I never heard if anything came of it. Their first-ever self-produced show, Lilihammer, is quite good so far.

All in all, I'm thrilled at Netflix's approach here. The movie and cable companies are being fucking idiots about what they allow to be streamed, so Netflix is taking a proactive approach to internet streaming entertainment.

You probably missed it in that hoopla where Netflix tried to split the dvd side and increased its price but Arrested Development is back on track for a fourth season with Netflix now.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

12. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 13:43 eRe4s3r

Except Netflix is US only, so all that'd do for me is change who's stuff i *have* to pirate when I want to see it (in a decent time-frame) in the original language and uncut. You wouldn't believe what a crap fest the German Games of Thrones is. Compared to the original, that is.  

11. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 13:43 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 13:41 Prez

Arrested Development was also listed as a show that Netflix was interested in reviving, but I never heard if anything came of it. Their first-ever self-produced show, Lilihammer, is quite good so far.

All in all, I'm thrilled at Netflix's approach here. The movie and cable companies are being fucking idiots about what they allow to be streamed, so Netflix is taking a proactive approach to internet streaming entertainment.

- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 13:35 eRe4s3r

Yeah but the actors likely won't change when Terra nova continues as-is

To me, a redo is better than a reboot

8. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 13:28 Prez

eRe4s3r wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:21:
The thing is the technology is actually pretty cheap nowadays, the problem is and always will be that with CGI stuff you have to have good (and i mean great) actors. And even better writers. Why you ask? Because Terra Nova as a whole had a pretty damn stupid concept

Why not make a series about earth colonists colonizing world X and then go off from there. Terra Nova as it was certainly does not deserve a continuation.

I want a good sci-fi show! Not a sitcom with dinosaurs

Time travel, while definitely overused, has been at the core of some of my favorite sci-fi entertainment, most notably Terminator. Personally I found the setting, the premise, and visuals fine; it was the wooden acting and childish writing that sank it for me.

- Mahatma Gandhi

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo