Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Auctions Detailed

Blizzard announces a new Global Play functionality for Battle.net to allow Diablo III players to play on servers in different regions. They also announce a new Auction House Website for the action/RPG as home to the in-game auction functionality in the action/RPG sequel. This FAQ has all the details, including how the house rake will work:

In the gold-based auction house, a 15% transaction fee will be deducted from the final sale price of a successful auction.

In the real-money auction-house, for equipment such as weapons and armor, a fixed transaction fee will be deducted from the seller for each piece of equipment successfully sold. This fee is assessed only if the item is sold. For commodities such as crafting materials, gems, gold, and other “stackable” items, a 15% transaction fee will be deducted from the total sale price.
[…]
Note that additional fees apply for players who choose to receive the proceeds of their successful auction via PayPal™ (in regions where this option is available). See the Functionality section of this FAQ for further details.

View
157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

117. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 16:00 Undocumented Alien

So for those passing on D3 it looks like you'll still have a really solid alternative.

100%. We got GW2 for the "online" itch, and T2 for the OFFLINE SP mode and LAN/IP Coop MP mode. After the D3 beta, I know I'm not really missing much, and I don't want support this online only model for Diablo (and Blizz).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

116. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 15:09 Dev

Quinn wrote on May 3, 2012, 08:22:
I presume the real money idea won't really get off the ground.
HAHAAHAHAAHAHA. Yeah.

You mean like how there's no one who makes money on selling WoW stuff like gold?

You mean how facebook games never make money? (facebook type games are specifically DESIGNED to make you want to spend money. Anything with limited energy/actions, or that takes time for actions, is that kinda game.) You can be sure that blizzard has tweaked drop rates to "encourage" people to use RMAH. The only question is, how far will blizzard go? I don't think they will do fake accounts with one missing item on the set selling in RMAH, but thats something that they could theoretically do.

You are mistaken.

115. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 14:43 Verno

Some people were mentioning Torchlight 2 earlier and holy shit, it is looking a lot better than the original. Some dude playing CB or tradeshow I assume, heres the link to the video archive. A lot more environmental variety and I like what they've done with the inventory and other stuff.

So for those passing on D3 it looks like you'll still have a really solid alternative.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

114. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 11:43 Prez

Reading more about this, Blizzard could completely remove the online drm from Diablo 3 and I still wouldn't buy this game at any price. Like sports, I understand that big business has grown up around our silly little entertainment. It's when said business begins crossing that sacred boundary, encroaching into my entertainment experience itself, that my tolerance instantly goes virtually to zero.

I realize the majority of people seem to be perfectly okay with stuff like auction houses and in-game cash shops; perhaps the difference for me is in the reason I do things like watch movies and play videogames. I use media as pure escapism; I want to forget who I am and the crap I need to deal with on a daily basis, if only for a little while. It's my little vacation from reality. When business pressures of any kind invade my gamespace my illusion is not damaged, it's obliterated. Games with crap like this are designed specifically around them - it's not just a matter of ignoring it.

This comment was edited on May 3, 2012, 16:32.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

113. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 11:05 Bhruic

They will likely line up to buy things in D3 whenever they meet a seemingly insurmountable obstacle, as it's a quick and easy bandaid for performance problems.

You've got a point. I don't know how many people did, but considering how many bots were offering, I have to assume some people were paying for the "leveling 1-80" services. Which strikes me as weird, but if what you want is to do end-game play, I guess "wasting" time playing until you get to that point doesn't make sense.

With my addiction to alts, if I found an "uber item", I'd be much more likely to hold on to it for another char, but if there's decent money to be made, I can see myself throwing it on the AH. Can't see myself buying anything from it tho', even on the gold version.

112. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 10:59 RollinThundr

flechett3 wrote on May 3, 2012, 00:02:
RollinThundr wrote on May 2, 2012, 22:32:
[
I wouldn't actually be surprised if the drop rates are tweaked to the point that even quality rares, never mind legendary items barely drop at all to encourage use of their embezzlement scheme of an auction house to begin with.

Which is exactly what I hope they do. Some dip out there is going to be willing to pay crazy money for the first Inferno difficulty Unique/Set/Crafted items to show up on the RMAH.

Why would anyone want to force players to spend real money to progress? It's not like it's a competitive game. Unless you're planning to quit your day job and have a bot farm the game for you all day to rip people off, thinking you're going to get rich off of D3 auctions is a ridiculous thought.

111. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 10:13 flechett3

Bhruic wrote on May 3, 2012, 08:05:
Perhaps instead of being a douche, you could actually read what I've written. I never once said anything about how the drops in Diablo 3 are going to be handled, nor did I say that how they were handled in Diablo 2 would have any impact on them. In fact, the entire point of my original post was to demonstrate that the individual claiming you couldn't get duplicate uniques was wrong - except for a special case. Which the rings were.

A special case that existed for 1 year out of the 12 year history of the game. I don't really think that's 'working as intended.' You didn't say it, but you pretty well implied that's how unique items work currently, which isn't the case.

Meh, whatever. I know I'm going to play the hell out of D3, and I'm going to make damn sure I have 10 auctions listed every time I log off.

This comment was edited on May 3, 2012, 10:18.

110. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 08:48 Verno

I presume the real money idea won't really get off the ground. You see, not all gamers are into business, trading and that whole tactic behind it. This is the case with most SINGLE PLAYER fanatics like myself.

I think you'd be surprised at the demographics. In fact there's even a few tough talking posters on these forums who own $25 rainbow WoW ponies and silly little paid for pets Joker People like frilly little things they can buy in small chunks of their paycheck to fill that consumer need. Then there's the people who will try to tackle the higher difficulties but don't want to put in all of the work. They will likely line up to buy things in D3 whenever they meet a seemingly insurmountable obstacle, as it's a quick and easy bandaid for performance problems. Dunning-Kruger effect at its finest.

There's no question in my mind that it will get off the ground but how much can the third party sites can influence things? The Blizzard fees are pretty much indefensible, it's more a question of whether it will be enough to drive people to use third party sources again with the gold AH instead of the RMAH itself. Anyways it'll be interesting.

This comment was edited on May 3, 2012, 10:25.

109. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 08:22 Quinn

I presume the real money idea won't really get off the ground. You see, not all gamers are into business, trading and that whole tactic behind it. This is the case with most SINGLE PLAYER fanatics like myself.

When I find an epic weapon that I can't or won't use, I'm not going to scour the entire AH to see for how much I can sell it. In this way, I'll put the imba weapon on the AH for 5000 gold, while another guy put it up for $25,- (its that awesome). Without doing the research, logic tells me there's tons and tons of players like myself, who will unknowingly collapse the economy.

The joke's on Blizzard for forcing the multiplayer feature upon the singleplayer kinda people.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

108. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 08:05 Bhruic

What you said implied that in some cases unique items wouldn't drop if you had them in your inventory, which isn't true, and wasn't working as intended.

It was true, and it was working as intended. The reason they changed it isn't because it was a bug, it's because people found a way to exploit it (by constantly having 1 nagel and 1 manald in inventory so they could find SoJs). That doesn't change the fact that they had intended it to work the way they'd originally designed it.

I guess I could say that in D3 we should expect some Elite items to NEVER drop, because until patch 1.04 Lances and a handful of other elite items couldn't drop.

Perhaps instead of being a douche, you could actually read what I've written. I never once said anything about how the drops in Diablo 3 are going to be handled, nor did I say that how they were handled in Diablo 2 would have any impact on them. In fact, the entire point of my original post was to demonstrate that the individual claiming you couldn't get duplicate uniques was wrong - except for a special case. Which the rings were.

107. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 05:07 Dev

Fion wrote on May 3, 2012, 00:57:
I knew right out of the gate that the cost of blizzard points would not be 1:1 with the return. I knew the primary reason behind this whole thing was so ActiBliz could make another buck off the game. Now we see you lose a full 30%! That's money in the pocket of the execs.

I'll be boycotting the entire system.
Its 30% to blizzard. Another 5% or so to paypal.

106. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 00:57 Fion

I knew right out of the gate that the cost of blizzard points would not be 1:1 with the return. I knew the primary reason behind this whole thing was so ActiBliz could make another buck off the game. Now we see you lose a full 30%! That's money in the pocket of the execs.

I'll be boycotting the entire system.

105. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 00:02 flechett3

RollinThundr wrote on May 2, 2012, 22:32:
[
I wouldn't actually be surprised if the drop rates are tweaked to the point that even quality rares, never mind legendary items barely drop at all to encourage use of their embezzlement scheme of an auction house to begin with.

Which is exactly what I hope they do. Some dip out there is going to be willing to pay crazy money for the first Inferno difficulty Unique/Set/Crafted items to show up on the RMAH.

104. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 23:44 Creston

JohnBirshire wrote on May 2, 2012, 01:07:
^Drag0n^ wrote on May 2, 2012, 01:03:
Diablo III...meh.

Torchlight2 FTW.

All I noticed is that they rushed to release it before Diablo 3...maybe they weren't as confident in their game as you are.

They're not releasing before Diablo 3. In fact, TL2 isn't scheduled to come out until sometime in June or July, as per the latest interview with Max Schafer. So I don't know where you exactly 'noticed' this, except your own imagination.

Creston

This comment was edited on May 2, 2012, 23:52.

103. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 23:44 Eirikrautha

The reality is that drop rates will be tweaked so you won't be able to play on the harder or more competitive modes without buying items. So everyone thinking that they will be able to play through without using the AH is deluding themselves. It'll either be an interminable grind for gold to use in the "fake" auction house, or you'll have to shell out the cash in order to complete later levels. Why do you think Blizzard made so much of how they pumped up the difficulty in levels past the beta? It's P2W... just camouflaged. Bank on it!  

102. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 22:32 RollinThundr

flechett3 wrote on May 2, 2012, 22:01:
No, it's not wrong. You, apparently, just don't know your history.

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Unique_Rings

In D2C, prior to v1.07, the game always dropped the three unique rings in a preset order:

Nagelring > Manald Heal > Stone of Jordan

This meant that if the game generated a Unique ring, from a monster drop or gambling, it would always be a Nagelring, if there was not already a Nagelring in that game (previously dropped or possessed by one of the character). If there was a Nagelring, then a Manald Heal would drop. If both, then a Stone of Jordan would drop. If all three, then the ring would spawn rare instead of unique.

So yes, they changed that in later patches, but for a time, it was not possible to have any of those rings drop if you already had one.

D2 was released in late June of 2000. LoD was released exactly a year later, and the expansion brought the game to version 1.07. The game is now up to 1.13b. While you are correct, that for one year the game had wonky drops for rings, it was NOT the case for a anyone after the expansion came out. What you said implied that in some cases unique items wouldn't drop if you had them in your inventory, which isn't true, and wasn't working as intended. I guess I could say that in D3 we should expect some Elite items to NEVER drop, because until patch 1.04 Lances and a handful of other elite items couldn't drop.

101. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 22:01 flechett3

No, it's not wrong. You, apparently, just don't know your history.

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Unique_Rings

In D2C, prior to v1.07, the game always dropped the three unique rings in a preset order:

Nagelring > Manald Heal > Stone of Jordan

This meant that if the game generated a Unique ring, from a monster drop or gambling, it would always be a Nagelring, if there was not already a Nagelring in that game (previously dropped or possessed by one of the character). If there was a Nagelring, then a Manald Heal would drop. If both, then a Stone of Jordan would drop. If all three, then the ring would spawn rare instead of unique.

So yes, they changed that in later patches, but for a time, it was not possible to have any of those rings drop if you already had one.

D2 was released in late June of 2000. LoD was released exactly a year later, and the expansion brought the game to version 1.07. The game is now up to 1.13b. While you are correct, that for one year the game had wonky drops for rings, it was NOT the case for a anyone after the expansion came out. What you said implied that in some cases unique items wouldn't drop if you had them in your inventory, which isn't true, and wasn't working as intended. I guess I could say that in D3 we should expect some Elite items to NEVER drop, because until patch 1.04 Lances and a handful of other elite items couldn't drop.

100. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 21:12 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on May 2, 2012, 20:42:
Krovven wrote on May 2, 2012, 19:53:
I've said it many times over the years, but I get to say it again. Verno is my favorite person ever, sunshine and rainbows

So much for that ignore and having a life thing but please feel free to drag me into your rants, the love washes over me Earmuffs

Dude you and every other swinging dick out there. I have at least two friends who think they might be able to quit their jobs and just work the Diablo auction hall.

That's the plan alright, quit the job, sell the house, play Diablo 3 professionally It was obviously said in jest. I could care less about working the auction hall, I'll likely never even use the functionality since I play Hardcore and it will have no RMAH.

Maybe if I played softcore I'd get the odd rare and throw it up in the hopes that some idiot will buy it but the reality is that gold will probably be more valuable. Just look at the jewels alone, it's going to require a disgusting amount of gold to train all of the artisan levels. A copy of Diablo 3 costs $50-60 which isn't exactly a huge amount of money so it's not like, outside the realm of possibility that a person could make back the cost of their copy though.

The P2W aspects of the game are kind of meaningless to me because the other person isn't really winning anything given the structure of the MP. I care more about the restrictions the whole setup places on the connectivity options but the reality is that I will mostly play MP with friends so it ultimately won't affect me. I can certainly sympathize with those that it will though.

You just do a good job of getting under his skin is all. And it's great, I laugh every time.

99. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 21:02 Verno

Red wrote on May 2, 2012, 19:50:
What's interesting to me, that makes the whole idea of an auction house seem pointless, is that the entire point of the game is to grind items. That's the end game. You don't acquire that gear to beat some final, awesome quest. The gear is the quest. Once you get your ultimate gear, you've won. Game over. The auction has does nothing more than allow you to pay money to stop playing.

I think people will be mainly buying gold and specific items to complete a goal or set of some sort. Gold will probably be a much bigger grind than people realize and Blizzard has hinted at that in a few interviews. It's an interesting micro economy experiment as so many different variables will influence pricing that its impossible to predict just how items themselves will be valued though.

As you said it's a bit of quandary because if they spend money on something they want then it gives them less of a reason to continue. Unlike WoW the personal character development is a lot more limited, I'm not sure players will form that same attachment.

98. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 20:42 Verno

Krovven wrote on May 2, 2012, 19:53:
I've said it many times over the years, but I get to say it again. Verno is my favorite person ever, sunshine and rainbows

So much for that ignore and having a life thing but please feel free to drag me into your rants, the love washes over me Earmuffs

Dude you and every other swinging dick out there. I have at least two friends who think they might be able to quit their jobs and just work the Diablo auction hall.

That's the plan alright, quit the job, sell the house, play Diablo 3 professionally It was obviously said in jest. I could care less about working the auction hall, I'll likely never even use the functionality since I play Hardcore and it will have no RMAH.

Maybe if I played softcore I'd get the odd rare and throw it up in the hopes that some idiot will buy it but the reality is that gold will probably be more valuable. Just look at the jewels alone, it's going to require a disgusting amount of gold to train all of the artisan levels. A copy of Diablo 3 costs $50-60 which isn't exactly a huge amount of money so it's not like, outside the realm of possibility that a person could make back the cost of their copy though.

The P2W aspects of the game are kind of meaningless to me because the other person isn't really winning anything given the structure of the MP. I care more about the restrictions the whole setup places on the connectivity options but the reality is that I will mostly play MP with friends so it ultimately won't affect me. I can certainly sympathize with those that it will though.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2012, 20:57.

157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo