Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Auctions Detailed

Blizzard announces a new Global Play functionality for Battle.net to allow Diablo III players to play on servers in different regions. They also announce a new Auction House Website for the action/RPG as home to the in-game auction functionality in the action/RPG sequel. This FAQ has all the details, including how the house rake will work:

In the gold-based auction house, a 15% transaction fee will be deducted from the final sale price of a successful auction.

In the real-money auction-house, for equipment such as weapons and armor, a fixed transaction fee will be deducted from the seller for each piece of equipment successfully sold. This fee is assessed only if the item is sold. For commodities such as crafting materials, gems, gold, and other “stackable” items, a 15% transaction fee will be deducted from the total sale price.
[…]
Note that additional fees apply for players who choose to receive the proceeds of their successful auction via PayPal™ (in regions where this option is available). See the Functionality section of this FAQ for further details.

View
157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

97. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 20:11 nin

If I can spend $1 to get something that'd take an hour of grinding, why would I not? My hour is worth way more than that. But if the game is fun enough that I never really feel like I'm grinding, I won't be tempted to buy time.

I agree with that to a certain extent, but the problem is (IMO) the game is all about the grind.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

96. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 20:10 Slippy

StingingVelvet wrote on May 2, 2012, 03:31:
Slippy wrote on May 1, 2012, 22:57:
I've bought different items for Portal 2 just because it makes my little robot look different...

Then you're the person we're making fun of, not the person we need to hear "it's okay" from.

"There's introverts in gaming, just like in other things."
Well, I'll be damned... you were right.

95. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 19:59 Dev

Krovven wrote on May 2, 2012, 19:53:
As far as using other RMAH with characters in different regions...I'm pretty sure you can change your home region from the Account Management screen, which I'm sure can be fooled with a VPN just like any other system. But why even go through that effort? The "pros", as you put it, are just going to have multiple accounts for each region, so spoofing is going to be pointless.
Except blizzard said in the FAQ, that they are locking your RMAH access to only the region you actually live in (address verified). So yeah, you can play any region you like, but you can only use your own regions RMAH

94. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 19:53 Krovven

Flatline wrote on May 2, 2012, 19:22:
Err... I can think of multiple ways to get around that, relatively cheaply if not free (many illegal methods, some legal). And while it might filter out the amateurs, I doubt it'll filter out the pros, otherwise they would have implemented it long ago and gold farmers wouldn't show up everywhere.

How would they get around it exactly? Characters and Items cannot be transferred between regions. Period.

As far as using other RMAH with characters in different regions...I'm pretty sure you can change your home region from the Account Management screen, which I'm sure can be fooled with a VPN just like any other system. But why even go through that effort? The "pros", as you put it, are just going to have multiple accounts for each region, so spoofing is going to be pointless.

I've said it many times over the years, but I get to say it again. Verno is a douchebag hypocrite.

93. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 19:50 Red

nin wrote on May 2, 2012, 18:12:
To paraphrase a quote I saw the other day: Everyone is talking about how they'll sell items, but no one is talking about buying them...
I'm gonna buy the shit out of items. =P

Well, maybe just gold. If it's priced economically.

Then I'll quit due to nothing left to grind for. =(

Seriously though, it all depends on pricing and game quality. If I can spend $1 to get something that'd take an hour of grinding, why would I not? My hour is worth way more than that. But if the game is fun enough that I never really feel like I'm grinding, I won't be tempted to buy time.

What's interesting to me, that makes the whole idea of an auction house seem pointless, is that the entire point of the game is to grind items. That's the end game. You don't acquire that gear to beat some final, awesome quest. The gear is the quest. Once you get your ultimate gear, you've won. Game over. The auction has does nothing more than allow you to pay money to stop playing.

92. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 19:45 Dev

Flatline wrote on May 2, 2012, 19:22:
Dev wrote on May 2, 2012, 19:02:
Flatline wrote on May 2, 2012, 17:56:
Dude you and every other swinging dick out there. I have at least two friends who think they might be able to quit their jobs and just work the Diablo auction hall.

In reality, you know who you're competing against? Gold farmers. Chinese prisoners forced to play the game 18 hours a day. Professionals who will be perfectly willing to muscle you out through razor-thin margins because they have the man-hours and labor pool to do it.
Except you apparently didn't bother to read the FAQ or my post about it. No asian RMAH is going to be released currently. Your RMAH is regionally locked, and the region is set by your physical living address. You can play in other regions, but your RMAH is fixed.

They may be able to get around it, (such as paying companies to setup a business presence in USA, I think that can be done for around $1500 or so), but its going to be harder.

Err... I can think of multiple ways to get around that, relatively cheaply if not free (many illegal methods, some legal). And while it might filter out the amateurs, I doubt it'll filter out the pros, otherwise they would have implemented it long ago and gold farmers wouldn't show up everywhere.
It would be tougher to get around if they required enough paypal address verification, such as something tied to a bank account.
And I'm not sure what you mean by "implemented it long ago," there was no RMAH in WoW. So all of the money sales there weren't sanctioned. So one could do WTF ever they wanted, even use a western union payment method if they want.
Now, blizzard controls the money chest, payments come from them, so they can have whatever verification steps they want before they dispense the money.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2012, 19:58.

91. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 19:22 Flatline

Dev wrote on May 2, 2012, 19:02:
Dude you and every other swinging dick out there. I have at least two friends who think they might be able to quit their jobs and just work the Diablo auction hall.

In reality, you know who you're competing against? Gold farmers. Chinese prisoners forced to play the game 18 hours a day. Professionals who will be perfectly willing to muscle you out through razor-thin margins because they have the man-hours and labor pool to do it.
Except you apparently didn't bother to read the FAQ or my post about it. No asian RMAH is going to be released currently. Your RMAH is regionally locked, and the region is set by your physical living address. You can play in other regions, but your RMAH is fixed.

They may be able to get around it, (such as paying companies to setup a business presence in USA, I think that can be done for around $1500 or so), but its going to be harder.

90. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 19:08 RollinThundr

Dev wrote on May 2, 2012, 18:58:
PHJF wrote on May 2, 2012, 17:31:
In other news, I randomly saw the D3 TV spot while channel surfing. I didn't even realize until it was half over that it *was* the D3 TV spot because apparently we've gone back in time twelve years to the Final Fantasy VIII era when game commercials never actually bothered showing in-game footage.
With consoles, they have an excuse, console graphics aren't usually very good with in game stuff. With PC, you'd think blizzard would show off how good the PC graphics could be.

Blizzard's cinematics have always been great. I will always give them all the credit in the world for that. Unfortunately when it comes to the games themselves, they're always a good 5+ years outdated visually, Diablo 3 is no exception here, really the game probably should have been released in 05 since graphically that's about what it looks like.

Which is the other thing with Blizzard that's always bothered me, they never show gameplay in their promotional/tv trailers, it's always cinematics.

89. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 19:02 Dev

88. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 18:58 Dev

PHJF wrote on May 2, 2012, 17:31:
In other news, I randomly saw the D3 TV spot while channel surfing. I didn't even realize until it was half over that it *was* the D3 TV spot because apparently we've gone back in time twelve years to the Final Fantasy VIII era when game commercials never actually bothered showing in-game footage.
With consoles, they have an excuse, console graphics aren't usually very good with in game stuff. With PC, you'd think blizzard would show off how good the PC graphics could be.

87. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 18:52 Dev

ventry wrote on May 2, 2012, 18:29:
Never played a Blizzard game.
Never will.
You are missing out. Diablo 2 was outstanding, as was starcraft 1. I even enjoyed starcraft 2.

86. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 18:29 ventry

Never played a Blizzard game.
Never will.

85. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 18:12 nin

To paraphrase a quote I saw the other day: Everyone is talking about how they'll sell items, but no one is talking about buying them...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

84. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 18:11 Bhruic

flechett3 wrote on May 2, 2012, 17:37:
Bhruic wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:31:

I'll refer you to my previous post, where I linked to a Bashiok post where he stated that D2 uniques only dropped once per-game, and that they're called Legendaries now

There were a few special uniques that would only drop once per playthrough, and wouldn't drop if you already possessed them, but they were extremely rare. The vast majority of uniques could drop multiple times, and could still drop if you had one.

This is wrong, wrong, wrong. There are no checks against items already in your inventory. If you have the best uniques already equipped on your character, and you do mf runs, you have a chance of getting the same unique item to drop again. D2 does not check your inventory first. This is the whole reason the name Unique is being changed to Legendary. They are NOT unique, and never really were.

From the Arreat Summit website:
Can I get a Unique again if I already have it?
Yes, but the same Unique will not drop more than once in each game from Monsters or Chests.

I used to make a fortune on Ebay selling items I found using pindlebot (with an amazon scripts I re-wrote specifically for the one character I had that could kill him the quickest), and this thread has been infuriating to read with all the bad info floating around.

I'll be fine once the 15th hits. If, you know, the servers are up.

No, it's not wrong. You, apparently, just don't know your history.

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Unique_Rings

In D2C, prior to v1.07, the game always dropped the three unique rings in a preset order:

Nagelring > Manald Heal > Stone of Jordan

This meant that if the game generated a Unique ring, from a monster drop or gambling, it would always be a Nagelring, if there was not already a Nagelring in that game (previously dropped or possessed by one of the character). If there was a Nagelring, then a Manald Heal would drop. If both, then a Stone of Jordan would drop. If all three, then the ring would spawn rare instead of unique.

So yes, they changed that in later patches, but for a time, it was not possible to have any of those rings drop if you already had one.

83. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 17:56 Flatline

Verno wrote on May 1, 2012, 21:46:
Indeed, I think it's a great opportunity. I plan on making back the cost of my copy selling items to the morons who will actually blow money on virtual items.

See, Blizzard spent a *lot* of time and resources combating those kinds of asshats with WoW. They apparently said "fuck it, give us a cut and we'll legitimize it." And now they win both ways. They get a large cut of the gold/item farmers haul, and they save money not having to stomp out farmer accounts. And in the mean time joe schmoe is thinking "oh boy I'm gonna make money!!!"

I laugh at anyone who thinks they'll make serious money off of D3. The Chinese and Blizzard will be the main profiteers here.

82. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 17:43 PHJF

They *are* unique. There are normal hydra bows, magical hydra bows, rare hydra bows, and then there's Windforce. Unique doesn't have to mean "one and only".  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

81. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 17:37 flechett3

Bhruic wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:31:

I'll refer you to my previous post, where I linked to a Bashiok post where he stated that D2 uniques only dropped once per-game, and that they're called Legendaries now

There were a few special uniques that would only drop once per playthrough, and wouldn't drop if you already possessed them, but they were extremely rare. The vast majority of uniques could drop multiple times, and could still drop if you had one.

This is wrong, wrong, wrong. There are no checks against items already in your inventory. If you have the best uniques already equipped on your character, and you do mf runs, you have a chance of getting the same unique item to drop again. D2 does not check your inventory first. This is the whole reason the name Unique is being changed to Legendary. They are NOT unique, and never really were.

From the Arreat Summit website:
Can I get a Unique again if I already have it?
Yes, but the same Unique will not drop more than once in each game from Monsters or Chests.

I used to make a fortune on Ebay selling items I found using pindlebot (with an amazon scripts I re-wrote specifically for the one character I had that could kill him the quickest), and this thread has been infuriating to read with all the bad info floating around.

I'll be fine once the 15th hits. If, you know, the servers are up.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2012, 17:45.

80. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 17:31 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

79. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 17:30 RollinThundr

Undocumented Alien wrote on May 2, 2012, 15:49:
Torchlight 2 could be several orders of magnitude better than Diablo 3 and it would still only sell a fraction of a fraction as well due simply to brand awareness and customer loyalty. They are wise to ensure a wide berth between release dates.

Exactly, like a Kennedy running for office in MA. Would virtually win an election on name alone.

This is the only reason why Blizz is getting away with the online DRM (unlike Ubi). We get, "I don't support online DRM... but... but... this is Diablo man... Diablo".

Nail on the head, and all the blizzard fanboys on their D3 forum are of course defending it. Meanwhile the very thing they were supposedly trying to combat, namely 3rd party site item sales, will more than likely see increased traffic due to flat out greed. 30% Blizzard to cash out? Seriously? LOL

78. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 15:49 Undocumented Alien

Torchlight 2 could be several orders of magnitude better than Diablo 3 and it would still only sell a fraction of a fraction as well due simply to brand awareness and customer loyalty. They are wise to ensure a wide berth between release dates.

Exactly, like a Kennedy running for office in MA. Would virtually win an election on name alone.

This is the only reason why Blizz is getting away with the online DRM (unlike Ubi). We get, "I don't support online DRM... but... but... this is Diablo man... Diablo".

157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo