Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Auctions Detailed

Blizzard announces a new Global Play functionality for Battle.net to allow Diablo III players to play on servers in different regions. They also announce a new Auction House Website for the action/RPG as home to the in-game auction functionality in the action/RPG sequel. This FAQ has all the details, including how the house rake will work:

In the gold-based auction house, a 15% transaction fee will be deducted from the final sale price of a successful auction.

In the real-money auction-house, for equipment such as weapons and armor, a fixed transaction fee will be deducted from the seller for each piece of equipment successfully sold. This fee is assessed only if the item is sold. For commodities such as crafting materials, gems, gold, and other “stackable” items, a 15% transaction fee will be deducted from the total sale price.
[…]
Note that additional fees apply for players who choose to receive the proceeds of their successful auction via PayPal™ (in regions where this option is available). See the Functionality section of this FAQ for further details.

View
157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

57. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 05:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Jerusahat wrote on May 1, 2012, 22:34:
Every player can have the same unique item. "Unique" means that it can only drop once per playthrough for you, and if you already possess it, it won't drop again.

What? Where exactly did you read/hear this? Uniques from Diablo 2, are now "Legendaries" in Diablo 3, and there is no limit to how many times they can drop in a playthrough, although the odds are of course slim. Even in D2, the same 'unique' could drop several times in one game. It was an erroneous term at best, that's why it's changed now. Also, accursed WoW influence.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 04:50 cronik

Goal 1: Recoup D3 cost from RMAH; Goal 2: Earn living from RMAH;
Goal 3: Become first D3 millionare from RMAH.

55. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 04:50 Mashiki Amiketo

Vex wrote on May 2, 2012, 01:08:
That is unfortunate news. The 15% cut pretty much guarantees that you wont be able to make any significant amount of gold - or even a profit for that matter - buying items which are listed below market value and then reselling them. That's a shame, I used to enjoy doing that in WoW, but the margins are typically less than 15% of the undercut price.
I used to play the AH in WOW got quite good at it, made 50k-100k a month without breaking a sweat by the time I stopped playing two years ago. Gave everything but 11k away when I stopped just incase I started again and needed seed money. Well I've played 3 times since I resubbed out of that 11k I now have 86k in gold pretty good turn around using only 3k of that to start off with. Now if only the markets could give me a turn around like that.

Besides, even with 30% lost, you're getting a 70% for nothing but playing the game, and if you're playing the market correctly again you should make a good return. I figure I should make enough to cover my wow 1yr sub out of this, and maybe some extra on top from just casual play.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

54. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 04:10 flechett3

Not to mention you are limited to listing 10 auctions at once.  

53. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 03:50 Dev

Linksil wrote on May 1, 2012, 23:38:
Okay I really don't get this. Read through the FAQ's. If I post somthing to the AH and put the money into the blizzard account(maxed at 100$) How do I get that money out without putting it through another 15%+ in fee's to paypal? Am I the only one out there that HATES paypal and dosn't use it? Not even really expecting to sell anything, but hey if I fool buy's something I post latter in the game I'd like to know how to GET the money.
Its $250 limit under some conditions (I forget what they are).

There is no way to get the money out except paypal (which isn't even avail in all regions). In fact, Asia (chinese gold farmers) won't even have RMH (at least not announced). You can only get RMH in the region in which your address is, so gold farmers will be far less.

If you sell commodities, your total fees will be in the neighborhood of 35% to cash out (15% cut, 15% to transfer to paypal, and another few percent for paypal fee)

52. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 03:31 StingingVelvet

Slippy wrote on May 1, 2012, 22:57:
I've bought different items for Portal 2 just because it makes my little robot look different...

Then you're the person we're making fun of, not the person we need to hear "it's okay" from.

51. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 03:31 PHJF

Back to Blizzard again. Why does Diablo 3 need two player auction houses, one of whom will attempt to peddle virtual *Diablo 3* objects for real money, money that Blizzard is planning to take for itself to the tune of 15% +; while the other is strictly virtual Diablo 3 goods for virtual money, of which Blizzard bothers, for some reason, to take a *virtual 15% cut*?

Gold in Diablo 2 was less than useless because a) there was a pitifully low cap on gold stashed and carried and b) virtually the only thing you could do with it was gamble which, when combined with the roughly .0001% chance of getting a unique item from gambling, was just a waste of time.

Blizzard means for gold in D3 to have actual value, MMORPG style, and for that to work they need some way of preventing inflation... like simply removing 15% of gold during transactions.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

50. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 02:38 WaltC

AnointedSword wrote on May 1, 2012, 21:21:
The argument about not paying money for pixels is getting old as well. You pay real money to play pixels, don't you?

I'm thinking that this is one of the goofiest statements of belief I've ever heard...;) I don't think that arguments urging people not to become fools will ever get old. But that's just me, and I do realize that as a comparative proportion of society, the "fool quotient" has grown by leaps and bounds in the last few years.

It's remarkable this idiotic idea is even being discussed let alone implemented. Is Blizzard trying to ruin the launch of Diablo III with this kind of off game-topic buzz? Maybe, though, the real situation is that the game is pretty darn bad--and Blizzard knows it--and anything goes in the Diablo III game experience that serves the purpose of helping people forget about the how supremely rotten the game itself actually is. Is this the old "Dazzle 'Em with B***Sh**!" ploy with a new coat of paint? Heh...;) Sure looks like it, Blizzard!

Traditionally, within a computer game, players may buy and sell virtual items for virtual money if the game is the type that provides it and if the players wish to spend time doing it. It's been that way like, forever...;) Mentally healthy people can enjoy fiction to the utmost without getting it hopelessly confused with real life in the slightest. It's the real nutters who read a Superman comic book one too many times and then get killed trying to fly off a bridge because they had come to believe that not only was Superman real, but that *they* were, in fact, Superman himself. Likewise, only real nutters would pay real money, over and above the price of the game, for virtual items that do not exist as real objects in the real world--and only have an existence as collections of pixels on the 2d screens of Diablo III (Yes I know it is a "3d" game--and I don't mean the horrible psuedo-3d glasses effect!--but still, even today we are all constrained to 2d monitors.)

Next thing you know, some people will actually be buying programs that sell virtual iPhones for real $50 prices that are "fully operational" on-screen via a mouse and keyboard or *shudder* an xBox controller or GAAA_A_A_A!-a Touch Screen "that lets you touch the virtual touch-screen iPhone you now proudly own!" (Cue the men with the butterfly nets! Action! Roll'em!)

You can spend hours of blissful joy having fake cell-phone conversations with fictitious people from all over the world whose voices and syntax and languages and accents have been very cleverly compiled into recordings by dozens of skilled voice actors! Via a touch screen you "can hold the virtual iPhone in your virtual hand"--just like a real iPhone! With your fingertips you can mash the colorful fake buttons on the screen and your virtual iPhone will "go online" or use "Google Maps" (using very clever pre-compiled animations, of course, since your 4g LTE virtual iPhone network is virtual, too), or you can manipulate your virtual iPhone to make lots of spiffy tech-sounding noises and flash beautiful colored lights--just like the real iPhone does! Yea, baby! What an awesome virtual deal for just $50 real dollars and NO DATA CAPS and NO MONTHLY FEES!! (But that's only because, of course, the "virtual iPhone simulator" is just a virtual object with virtual functionality that doesn't really do anything at all in the real world--except of course separating you from your real $50.)

Back to Blizzard. Blizzard *says* it is going to have TWO, count 'em, two, "Auction Houses" inside the Diablo III game. One of them will sell fake game items for real money; the other one will sell fake game items for fake, in-game virtual money (gold, etc.) The unstable nutballs will quickly migrate to the Auction House selling fake items for real money, and the mentally healthy Diablo III players will do as they always do when playing games like Diablo III--they will buy and sell virtual game items in the in-game stores that deal only in virtual money, or they will collect their gold, buy and sell their fake game items as it suits them, and then they will either participate in the "virtual items for virtual money Auction house," or they will skip it altogether and just *play the game* as it was *originally* intended to be played...;)

And, no, AnointedSore, (sp?) when people buy computer games they are *not* paying for collections of dumb, pixelated virtual objects of all kinds that allow the purchaser to do *nothing* with them except look at them on a computer screen and rotate them and fake-use them, etc. That's *the* most dumbed-down definition of a computer game I think I've ever heard...;) Games like that would sell about as well as the fake iPhone simulator I describe above, and be about as much fun, too.

What people are buying when they buy a virtual computer game of some kind, AnointedSpore, with *real* money, is an interactive *story* of some kind--with a plot, a beginning, an end; a story with fictional characters, hopefully some depth, and hopefully a lot of entertainment along the way. Or else they are buying a "frag-everything" FPS. Buying a computer game with real money is not too different from buying a book or a movie with real money--except the computer game (if it's decent) is probably a lot more entertaining and a lot better buy for the buck in that you get many more hours of entertainment out of it...;)

If you can think of a single computer game ever made which does nothing except auction off virtual (fake!, as in not only do these objects do nothing in the real world, they don't even *exist* in the real world!) items for *real money* (and real money, of course, is both functional and it exists in the real world)? Maybe there has been a game like that in the past--but I've been gaming for 26 years and I've never heard of it if it exists--which tells me that if it existed at all it was not popular enough to rise above background noise. And I can understand why.

Back to Blizzard again. Why does Diablo 3 need two player auction houses, one of whom will attempt to peddle virtual *Diablo 3* objects for real money, money that Blizzard is planning to take for itself to the tune of 15% +; while the other is strictly virtual Diablo 3 goods for virtual money, of which Blizzard bothers, for some reason, to take a *virtual 15% cut*?

But that's not the real question that begs asking--it isn't a question of "Why two auction houses?"--It's a question of "Why even One?" auction house of any kind is needed in Blizzard's Diablo 3? When I think of Diablo 3, as I have been doing off and on now for awhile, this is a concept (player auction houses) that has never crossed my mind before reading this announcement today.

Then there's the "Global Play" stuff, too--again, which doesn't interest me at all when I think of Diablo 3. I hope I'm wrong, but these announcements seem like very rushed efforts to inject more "content" into a game that Blizzard thinks is too short, too shallow, and generally below expectations--just in order to try and keep people interested longer and playing longer.

I just finished the FAQ, and the truly goofiest statement Blizzard makes in all of this is that "lucky" players are going to be able to buy virtual gold in the game with *real* money--at an "exchange rate" which fluctuates according to some kind of scale that apparently the players at the fake-goods-for-real-money auction house are going to regulate.

According to Blizzard, all of this is happening because Diablo has always been chiefly been about accumulating in-game goods. Gee, and here I was thinking *SINGLE-PLAYER* like the Diablo's of old and that *THE EVIL IS BACK* meaning that there was some kind of good vs. evil *story* going on here, which unfolds as the player progresses through the game. But Blizzard says I must be wrong about that--because Blizzard says it's like this: The item-based nature of Diablo gameplay has always lent itself to an active trade-based ecosystem, and a significant part of this trade has been conducted through unsecure third-party organizations. And to think I played Diablo I & II for years and enjoyed them quite a bit, especially D2, and never once heard of or used an "unsecure third-party organization" for anything at all--most especially for the truly idiotic adventure of buying virtual Diablo goods for real money.

I think this game will likely disappoint me in a very big way--but I can still hope otherwise. We'll see. This looks so much like a Herculean cash grab by Blizzard that the resulting whiteout is giving me a splitting headache.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2012, 02:48.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

49. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 02:02 Sepharo

Slippy wrote on May 2, 2012, 01:20:
I liked Torchlight... don't get me wrong.

BUT, Torchlight vs Diablo 3 is like comparing the Batman cartoon to the movie. I would watch the movie way before the cartoon. I like them both, but I would prefer the latter.

Wait, wait... Which movie? Which cartoon?

There was a good chunk of time where Batman: The Animated Series was the Batman and the movies were terrible.

48. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 01:48 entr0py

The open beta weekend was worse than I imagined in terms of how badly the forced online single player damages the game. I experienced rubber banding in single player, as well as getting disconnected and kicked back to the main menu from pausing the game too long.

I know Blizzard's excuse is that they have to authenticate everything that goes on in a single player game in order to allow players to take those characters, items and gold online. But their real reason is a misguided attempt at combating piracy. There's absolutely no reason they couldn't have had an offline single player mode in addition. They'd just have to make it so the spoils can never be taken online.

Far from discouraging piracy, these measures will force paying customers to also track down cracks, server emulators or whatever is needed to fix the game.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2012, 04:02.

47. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 01:38 Jerusahat

RollinThundr wrote on May 2, 2012, 00:21:
Actually preeeeety sure I found duplicate uniques in the same game more than once as well. Though it's been a few years.

You might be thinking of rares? They were yellow (vs the darker gold Uniques).

This is Bashiok talking about the naming switch in D3 (Uniques to Legendaries), where he states what I said previously.

46. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 01:36 PHJF

Fact is there is the business of video games, which is fine (to an extent), and now Blizzard (and everybody else) wants to inject business INTO video games. You can't sit there with a straight face and say video games are going to be better for it. The golden age of games is gone because development moved from the garage and basement to the office complex. Business is the cancer of the arts, and wherever there is money to be made there business will spread.

I played Diablo because I loved doing so, not because I expected a paycheck out of it. You can be damned sure with real money on the line Blizzard is going to keep an iron fist around "the economy" of Diablo III. At the end of the day it's going to be silly "oldtimers" like myself getting the short end of the stick, individuals who were under the impression that playing a video game was its own reward.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

45. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 01:29 Pigeon

I'll be surprised if this doesn't wreck the in game economy. Since you can buy gold in the RMAH items in the regular AH will probably be massively inflated. I just don't see anything good coming from this. Thankfully you can just ignore it all and play with your friends.

It ignores whether the game is designed and balanced around RMAH.

It could have disastrous effects on grouping with random people. If drop rates are based around the idea you can easily get items off the AH then that'll fuck up single and co-op with friends.

44. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 01:28 Kabuto

I don't like the argument of "just don't use the RMAH". It ignores whether the game is designed and balanced around the RMAH.
 Look at so many free to play mmorpgs, or even many iPhone games, they are designed around in-game purchases. Those in-game purchases can normally in theory be unlocked without spending any real money, but the games are often balanced in such a way to make the unlocks too time consuming to actually be fun. 

For example, what if drop rates of rare items were reduced to 1/10th of what they were in D2 to encourage participation in the AH. That would be something that would greatly affect any players enjoyment of the game whether they choose to use the AH or not. 

43. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 01:20 Slippy

^Drag0n^ wrote on May 2, 2012, 01:03:
Diablo III...meh.

Torchlight2 FTW.

I liked Torchlight... don't get me wrong.

BUT, Torchlight vs Diablo 3 is like comparing the Batman cartoon to the movie. I would watch the movie way before the cartoon. I like them both, but I would prefer the latter.

Fortunately, like Batman cartoon/movie, I can have both!

*** TL1 WAS a nice time filler though when I had that 'I want D3' feeling kick in... and in the end, I will be happy to buy TL2 also to support that company in making more games that I enjoy

42. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 01:08 Vex

That is unfortunate news. The 15% cut pretty much guarantees that you wont be able to make any significant amount of gold - or even a profit for that matter - buying items which are listed below market value and then reselling them. That's a shame, I used to enjoy doing that in WoW, but the margins are typically less than 15% of the undercut price.  

41. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 01:07 Slippy

deqer wrote on May 2, 2012, 00:35:
Slippy wrote on May 1, 2012, 22:57:
Also, do you guys really think all the D2 sites that sold items purchased them off of players with all the duping going on??? NO. Yes, Bliz saw an opportunity to make money... but they are also allowing us to participate and reap some of the 'profits' from it.
but that's still not a good enough reason for the entire game to be "online required" for Single Player mode.

We truely do not own what we buy anymore; in this case, a video game called Diablo 3 we do not own.

The "online requirement" is to track/own you.

The "for security reasons" is just the positive bullshit we're being fed.
OK... but I didn't say the AH justified the 'always online requirements'. I understand the concerns with the DRM (or whatever the hell it's acronym is)... but it is what it is. My opinion is, if it bothers someone that much... don't buy the game. Personally, I plan to buy it. If Blizzard goes belly up in two years and there are no servers to play on... who cares, I'll move on to the next thing. I've spent more at a bar in one night than $60.00 and I didn't get to own anything from that little spending spree either... LOL.

40. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 01:07 JohnBirshire

^Drag0n^ wrote on May 2, 2012, 01:03:
Diablo III...meh.

Torchlight2 FTW.

All I noticed is that they rushed to release it before Diablo 3...maybe they weren't as confident in their game as you are.

39. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 01:03 ^Drag0n^

Diablo III...meh.

Torchlight2 FTW.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

38. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 00:47 Jivaro

As long as I am not forced to use it, I couldn't give a shit less. I am still not convinced I am buying this game as Path of Exile seems to be filling my "loot until my eyes bleed" cravings....but if I do I am not sure I see why anyone who doesn't want to use the RMAH cares about it one way or the other.  

157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo