Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Auctions Detailed

Blizzard announces a new Global Play functionality for Battle.net to allow Diablo III players to play on servers in different regions. They also announce a new Auction House Website for the action/RPG as home to the in-game auction functionality in the action/RPG sequel. This FAQ has all the details, including how the house rake will work:

In the gold-based auction house, a 15% transaction fee will be deducted from the final sale price of a successful auction.

In the real-money auction-house, for equipment such as weapons and armor, a fixed transaction fee will be deducted from the seller for each piece of equipment successfully sold. This fee is assessed only if the item is sold. For commodities such as crafting materials, gems, gold, and other “stackable” items, a 15% transaction fee will be deducted from the total sale price.
[…]
Note that additional fees apply for players who choose to receive the proceeds of their successful auction via PayPal™ (in regions where this option is available). See the Functionality section of this FAQ for further details.

View
157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

17. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 22:34 Jerusahat

Nighthawk wrote on May 1, 2012, 21:35:
How separate are the items between playing single player and multiplayer? For example, if there is a unique item on the auction house, and there is only one of those items in the whole Diablo 3 world, can I still possibly find it in my game if I only play single player?

If single player and multiplayer are one in the same in terms of items to be found, then that is where I have a small issue with paying for items. It would be like plucking something out of the game I paid for that I will never be able to get because someone else in the world already found it.

-Nighthawk

Every player can have the same unique item. "Unique" means that it can only drop once per playthrough for you, and if you already possess it, it won't drop again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 22:18 Dev

Also if you don't get and register the game within the first week (aka pre-order), you will be prevented from accessing the RMAH when it launches until a 3 day period has elapsed..  

15. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 22:13 nin

Wow... that's... brazen? I think that's the word I'm looking for...

I'd go with "fucked", but that's just me...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 22:10 Dev

Verno wrote on May 1, 2012, 21:46:
15% (on commodities) is totally absurd but so is the prospect of people actually buying these things in a game all about collecting loot yourself. Might as well join the silliness and cash out on the brain dead Besides the prices will be in the tank on the RMAH for everything except the ultra rare, particularly when exploits are discovered.
Its an additional 15% on top of that to cash out. And then there's paypal fees.

13. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 22:06 Dev

Nighthawk wrote on May 1, 2012, 21:35:
How separate are the items between playing single player and multiplayer? For example, if there is a unique item on the auction house, and there is only one of those items in the whole Diablo 3 world, can I still possibly find it in my game if I only play single player?

If single player and multiplayer are one in the same in terms of items to be found, then that is where I have a small issue with paying for items. It would be like plucking something out of the game I paid for that I will never be able to get because someone else in the world already found it.

-Nighthawk
Pretty sure there's no difference, single player is basically one player multiplayer. Remember, that was the whole point of the always online single player requirement.

Either there won't be actual uniques, or they won't actually be unique.
I forgot the 3rd option, that FAQ mentions stuff can be soulbound.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2012, 22:13.

12. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 22:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

Verno wrote on May 1, 2012, 21:46:
Indeed, I think it's a great opportunity. I plan on making back the cost of my copy selling items to the morons who will actually blow money on virtual items. The world is filled with them, the success of dumb WoW pets and ponies is a testament to that. I used to be skeptical but I'm convinced now, might as well fleece the people who want so desperately to spend their hard earned money.

I won't be using the RMAH or probably even the GAH at all myself, but good luck. I think an awful LOT of people all have the idea they will be able to make some money selling items. X million people trying to sell items, each of those people refusing to buy... who will bend or break first?!

While it's certainly possible to make a little cash on the RMAH, I'm almost as interested to see how the RMAH actually plays out as I am to play the full game. It's like a massive psychological experiment run by Blizzard, with them skimming cash off the top the whole time and laughing their asses off.

Also, how much account hacking will eventually occur, because of the RMAH. My estimate, metric shit-tons.

11. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 21:51 Yakubs

Seems reasonable. Flat $$ fee for regular items. Percentage cut for gold/mats-farmers and for fake money transactions (which reduces the fake money supply).  

10. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 21:46 Verno

Krovven wrote on May 1, 2012, 21:34:
Cutter wrote on May 1, 2012, 21:25:
15 points for doing nothing? Fucking wow. Yet just one more reason to stop supporting Actiblizz.

And you get 70% for doing what? Oh that's right, selling a digital item you got playing a video game they made.

Put your shit in perspective.

If anyone here can actually sell some items for real money, I don't think they'll be complaining.

Indeed, I think it's a great opportunity. I plan on making back the cost of my copy selling items to the morons who will actually blow money on virtual items. The world is filled with them, the success of dumb WoW pets and ponies is a testament to that. I used to be skeptical but I'm convinced now, might as well fleece the people who want so desperately to spend their hard earned money.

15% (on commodities) is totally absurd but so is the prospect of people actually buying these things in a game all about collecting loot yourself. Might as well join the silliness and cash out on the brain dead Besides the prices will be in the tank on the RMAH for everything except the ultra rare, particularly when exploits are discovered.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2012, 22:02.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

9. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 21:38 RollinThundr

AnointedSword wrote on May 1, 2012, 21:21:
Against popular belief (here at blues), a majority of players will use the in game systems. Why? One, they can be trusted. Two, even though some of these sites make good money the numbers do not compare with player base. In other words, Blizzard will make their money.

The argument about not paying money for pixels is getting old as well. You pay real money to play pixels, don't you?

Diablo titles at their core are glorified item hunts to begin with, at that point might as well pay to watch someone play the game for you in the first place.

8. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 21:37 Bhruic

AnointedSword wrote on May 1, 2012, 21:21:
Against popular belief (here at blues), a majority of players will use the in game systems.

Well, it's always fun to argue against an invented "popular belief", but no one here has been arguing that people will flock to 3rd party sites.

Personally, I would never use an auction in a game like this - for gold or otherwise. The entire purpose of the game is finding items, so if you just buy them, there's little left to do. With that said, I still find the 15% figure to be way over the top. I expected 1.5% (or thereabouts). That definitely takes it from the "we're just making our costs" to "we're using this as an alternate revenue stream".

7. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 21:35 Nighthawk

-Nighthawk

6. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 21:34 Krovven

Cutter wrote on May 1, 2012, 21:25:
15 points for doing nothing? Fucking wow. Yet just one more reason to stop supporting Actiblizz.

And you get 70% for doing what? Oh that's right, selling a digital item you got playing a video game they made.

Put your shit in perspective.

If anyone here can actually sell some items for real money, I don't think they'll be complaining.

5. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 21:31 dangerman77

In other news, I am thoroughly enjoying Titan Quest right now.  

4. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 21:25 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 21:21 AnointedSword

Against popular belief (here at blues), a majority of players will use the in game systems. Why? One, they can be trusted. Two, even though some of these sites make good money the numbers do not compare with player base. In other words, Blizzard will make their money.

The argument about not paying money for pixels is getting old as well. You pay real money to play pixels, don't you?

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

2. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 21:21 RollinThundr

The Pyro wrote on May 1, 2012, 21:13:
15% off the top, plus another 15% to transfer money to PayPal, plus PayPal's cut on top of that? Wow... that's... brazen? I think that's the word I'm looking for...

Not that I'm interested in real-money transaction anyway, but if Blizzard's goal was to incentivize more legitimate channels for real-money transactions then these figures seem counter-productive.

It really never was about legitimizing it, they just wanted a cut of it. Still I could never understand those wanting to pay real money for pixelated items in a video game in the first place. Especially in Diablo2's case with the massive duping issue that game had.

It'll be interesting to see if the same thing happens with D3, I suspect it will, maybe not as easily at first mind you, since it sounds like they're at the very least attempting to have systems in place to combat it this time around, but if I can say one thing about Blizzard, their titles do push numbers, along with that you tend to bring out the dregs of the community en mass.

Since a Diablo game is pretty much just a glorified item hunt in the first place you bet your sweet ass people will be looking for ways to hack it to make money off fools that are willing to spend money on virtual items.

1. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 1, 2012, 21:13 The Pyro

15% off the top, plus another 15% to transfer money to PayPal, plus PayPal's cut on top of that? Wow... that's... brazen? I think that's the word I'm looking for...

Not that I'm interested in real-money transaction anyway, but if Blizzard's goal was to incentivize more legitimate channels for real-money transactions then these figures seem counter-productive.

157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo