Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Wizard Trailer

This new trailer from Diablo III introduces the Wizard in Blizzard's upcoming action/RPG sequel. The clip includes cinematics, gameplay, and an imposing voiceover to explain the arcane power of this mystical class. Presumably the wizard's chirpy (if not twerpy) little voice is a spell so her enemies mistake her for Seong Mi-na or something.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

8. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 13:53 gilly775

Fion wrote on May 1, 2012, 11:40:
Unfortunately my hype for D3 has lessened of late. I spent a weekend with Guild Wars 2 and it's all I can think about. They call it, the GW2 Effect. The inability to think about, let alone play for more than an 20 minutes, any game, especially an MMOG, after witnessing the glory that is Guild Wars 2.

Trust me, I have it bad.

I was the opposite. I've been in the GW2 beta since it started. Played it once for an hour, never touched it again. I found it pretty boring and hated the camera angles. Still, I have been finding a lot of games boring lately. I was in the D3 beta for months and just started playing it several weeks ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 13:10 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on May 1, 2012, 12:41:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 1, 2012, 10:54:
Wait... how come she wasn't wielding axes and wearing full-plate armor?? I have no idea what a wizard is supposed to use in this game. In the beta there was hardly any equipment for her, but she could apparently use practically any weapon or armor with almost no limitations. Weird.

The way the armor is designed in Diablo 3 is that there are no more proficiencies such as cloth, leather, mail, and plate because there are no attribute points. Any class can use any armor but the appearance will automatically change based on the class you use it on to suite their design. The only thing which distinguishes who can wear it are the raw stats.

Weapons are a little more exclusive though where Wizards have access to Wands and Sources which provide class-specific perks such as additional arcane power and such.

Basically gear with intellect on it = gear for wizards, raw weapon damage is also factored into how powerful your spells are. I think its far too simplified as you don't have to make any real choices with your gear, at least not that I saw in the beta. Its nice you no longer have to meet any arbitrary str or dex requirements for the sole reason of equipping higher level gear, but this change seems a reaction too far in the other direction.

Maybe later in the game there may be some benefit to using gear with stats that are not optimal for you class, such as a tanking barbarian taking int gear to raise his/her resistances.

6. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 12:42 space captain

how to play diablo  
Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 12:41 Wallshadows

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 1, 2012, 10:54:
Wait... how come she wasn't wielding axes and wearing full-plate armor?? I have no idea what a wizard is supposed to use in this game. In the beta there was hardly any equipment for her, but she could apparently use practically any weapon or armor with almost no limitations. Weird.

The way the armor is designed in Diablo 3 is that there are no more proficiencies such as cloth, leather, mail, and plate because there are no attribute points. Any class can use any armor but the appearance will automatically change based on the class you use it on to suite their design. The only thing which distinguishes who can wear it are the raw stats.

Weapons are a little more exclusive though where Wizards have access to Wands and Sources which provide class-specific perks such as additional arcane power and such.

4. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 11:40 Fion

Wizard was easily my favorite class and I'm going to play that in the group of friends who 'always' play the new Diablo game together. I was in the beta for months so I tried every single class and each plays rather differently. Some are rather week to start but get rather powerful by level 10, such as the Demon Hunter. Others start out as killing machines. I had fun with each class, accept for Monk. I'm not sure why but that class just didn't click with me.

Unfortunately my hype for D3 has lessened of late. I spent a weekend with Guild Wars 2 and it's all I can think about. They call it, the GW2 Effect. The inability to think about, let alone play for more than an 20 minutes, any game, especially an MMOG, after witnessing the glory that is Guild Wars 2.

Trust me, I have it bad.

3. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 11:12 gilly775

I found the Witch Doctor to be the weakest, but the Monk and Demon Hunter were pretty powerful. I never got a chance to try the Barbarian or Wizard in the beta, but in two weeks I can  

2. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 10:54 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

1. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 10:19 Verno

I don't know, Wizard didn't do it for me in beta. The signature spells felt really iffy and it probably didn't help that Ray of Frost and Disintegrate look like color swaps. Be interesting to see how the later spells flesh it out in retail. The videos of Hydra make it look fairly neutered compared to D2 but oh well.

After spending more time with the DH I've finally come around on him. I had to monkey around with my build a bit but I finally got it to a point where it felt like a combo between the Amazon and the WoW Hunter. I wish he didn't look like Justin Bieber though

This comment was edited on May 1, 2012, 11:03.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo