Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 19:59 Sepharo

Maybe paying for Hulu+ will be like paying the cable jizya. I don't even mind if the price goes up a bit as long as I get the same service (or better) without having to pay for cable.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 17:37 Beamer

Malachii wrote on May 1, 2012, 14:48:
I dropped cable a year ago and my family gets along fine with netflix and Hulu+. Whats not clear to me is whether this change would impact the paying hulu+ crowd?

Good question. I haven't looked too deeply into this, but my guess is Hulu+ isn't making enough money and cable companies are willing to pay them more for this exclusivity. No huge surprise, Hulu hasn't exactly been profitable and its owners have been trying to sell it for years.

Short sighted and stupid.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 16:35 Prez

Malachii wrote on May 1, 2012, 14:48:
I dropped cable a year ago and my family gets along fine with netflix and Hulu+. Whats not clear to me is whether this change would impact the paying hulu+ crowd?

If they are so stupid as to lock out people who they were able to convince to pay for the Hulu Plus service, I'd venture to say that they are too stupid to remain in business.

In my case, because I have Comcast Business Class internet with TV thrown in free (which was never hooked up), technically I'll be okay. But the way this reads I'm getting that you need to have an active cable TV subscription in order to use Hulu at all, which if true, is so brain-suckingly stupid that it almost compels me to want to commit violence against the terminally stupid people at cable companies.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 14:48 Malachii

15. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 13:12 NegaDeath

As a loyal paying consumer this new strategy isn't totally confusing for me yet. Is there some sort of new equipment or cable standard I can be forced to buy to further lock down what I watch and cause further incompatibilities with my older equipment?  

14. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 13:00 Cyanotetyphas

http://chainsawsuit.com/ Kris has a comic about this today.

Also, if I remember correctly isn't Hulu run by a consortium of big cable networks? Or at least is was formed by them. All of the networks have pretty much stated time and again they hate free streaming and have refused to make it anything but a huge pain in the ass via their own solutions. I mean, they're even trying to stand up to Netflix which is at least a business model where people get paid. They're just trying to sink the ship while they still have a little control.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

13. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 11:41 Verno

Not to mention you can't magic away technology by passing laws or throwing arbitrary requirements in consumers faces. People have shown time and time again that they will get around barriers to the content they want.

All they will do is drive it even further underground through private memberships and encryption. They will also piggyback it on legitimate content whenever possible which makes enforcement even more difficult.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

12. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 11:35 Quboid

It seems to me that they're banking on the virtually inevitable passing of a SOPA style law. The UK has just made ISPs block The Pirate Bay and eventually something will be passed in the US when people get bored of putting up resistance time after time.

They'll be in for a shock when it turns out that SOPA will do the square root of fuck all.

- Quboid

11. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 11:17 Prez

Verno wrote on May 1, 2012, 09:05:
Hulu, Fox move to change model of free TV streaming
"

We're doing April Fools again?

Hard to believe these content holders can be this stupid. Just going to drive more people to Usenet and BT.

"Uh-oh... we're in serious danger of coming close to actually giving customers what they want! We need to remedy this situation immediately! To the Meeting Room!"

Yeah, apparently they are that stupid.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 09:05 Verno

Hulu, Fox move to change model of free TV streaming

We're doing April Fools again?

Hard to believe these content holders can be this stupid. Just going to drive more people to Usenet and BT.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

9. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 08:46 NegaDeath

Seriously? We didn't even get a chance to get Hulu up here in Canada yet and it's already screwed up?  

8. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 07:46 space captain

so retarded  
Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 07:20 Dades

Let's take our premier streaming site and ruin it by requiring the things that drove people to us. Sounds like a good business model.  

6. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 07:01 Luke

Facebook to unveil 'life-saving tool' tomorrow

uninstall button ficking fishhead

5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2012, 04:54 CommunistHamster

How can they still not get it? How is it possible that after a decade of rampant unconstrained "piracy" of their shows they still don't understand the free, legal alternative has to be BETTER and work with a minimum of fuss?  

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 23:27 Sepharo

They better not...  

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 23:23 jdreyer

There's more on Netflix than I have time for anyway. I never even use Hulu.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 22:51 nin

With their commercials, I never really considered them an alternative anyway. Fuck em.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 22:50 WarpCrow

Hulu, which attracted 31 million unique users in March under a free-for-all model, is taking its first steps to change to a model where viewers will have to prove they are a pay-TV customer to watch their favorite shows, sources tell The Post.

Oh wait, you're serious? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo