Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 16:01 killer_roach

Jivaro wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 14:49:
Prez, if you don't mind me asking...how the hell do you get over 250GB? I mean, I am sure I could do it if I tried, I might even be persuaded to believe that I have done it before....but on a regular basis? Job related?

There's a lot of ways you can blow past 250GB a month. A friend of mine, simply due to data sets he's downloading for research (he's a Ph.D. in meteorology), can burn through 100-150GB a day ad infinitum.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 15:47 SpectralMeat

There isn't all that much TV I watch either but kids love to watch Netflix. I can probably narrate Mighty Machines with my eyes closed by now. Anyways because of that I am usually right near my monthly limit pretty much every month with the internet, in the 150GB range.

We are limiting how much TV the kids can watch otherwise I'd be way over my monthly limit.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 15:38 Jivaro

Yeah, I have Netflix, VUDU, HULU+ and all that, but I probably watch 1-3 shows a month...tops...and that is if my step-daughter comes home from college for a few days. There just isn't that much on I want to watch that I didn't already watch thanks to my DTV DVR.

The only reason I keep DirecTV is for sports, specifically Football. (American). My wife and I haven't found a way to make sure we can watch the games we want to watch without DirecTV. If we could, obviously we would be dropping it because cable and satellite are really expensive monthly.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 15:14 SmyTTor

You figure the average HD streamed flick is around 3~gb or roughly 2~gb per hour. My great niece constantly streams Nickelodeon toons and shows at 350-500mb SD a pop. Add in gaming, patches, misc file downloads along with everyday email and a browsing and you hit that cap well within a month, especially if you've cut the cord and supplement OTA with streaming with devices like Roku.  

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 15:05 SpectralMeat

Jivaro wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 14:49:
admittedly, I am not using the internet for "TV" yet and I rarely go to Youtube, so maybe it is that lack of video streaming.
If you are using Netflix or any other streaming TV services they love to chew through a ton of data.
In Prez's case he just buys every single video game that comes out on Steam and that is why he exceeds the download limits

Steam: SpectralMeat

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 15:03 Sepharo

Prez probably downloads 10 gigs of updates on Steam everyday.  

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 15:01 NegaDeath

250GB? Man, I thought my ISP was generous with a 70GB cap.  

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 14:49 Jivaro

Prez, if you don't mind me asking...how the hell do you get over 250GB? I mean, I am sure I could do it if I tried, I might even be persuaded to believe that I have done it before....but on a regular basis? Job related?

edit: To be clear, I am not saying I think caps of any kind are reasonable, I hate them too, if only on principle. I just look at my own usage, and I am not anywhere near. Admittedly, I am not using the internet for "TV" yet and I rarely go to Youtube, so maybe it is that lack of video streaming.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 14:32 Prez

In other words, the broadband cap may have less to do with managing congestion on Comcast's data network than with making over-the-top video services like Netflix and Hulu unattractive for heavy television users who are the most lucrative customers for Comcast's paid video services.

Change the highlighted "may have" to "obviously has" and we have the whole reason for usage caps.

Honestly, since Comcast has instituted the usage meter on their website there hasn't been a month that I didn't exceed the 250gb limit, yet I have yet to have been shut off or even warned. But given the psychological effect usage caps and metered billing have on people (as alluded to in this very well-written editorial) there's no doubt in my mind that many people have scaled back their usage or resisted cutting the cord out of fear. Applied as either a strong-arm tactic or a scare tactic, given the reality of current consumer bandwidth usage trends and general bandwidth availability, usage caps are despicably unethical in my opinion.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 12:33 Dmitri_M

Take it from someone accustomed to caps, it's terrible. I cannot understand why the US would take this step back. It's obviously a way to monetize usage. Is there any proof that data providers are lacking the infrastructure to meet bandwidth demands?  

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 11:25 Cutter

avianflu wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 10:11:
I am not amused that all different kinds of push advertising that I never want to see goes against my bandwidth quota on my smartphone.

For now, as a consumer I can simply avoid using apps that use push advertising but I dont know how much longer that will be possible.

Agreed.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 10:47 Jivaro

B&N jumps in bed with MS...too little too late or good move? I like the Nook, I think competition is always a good thing, and I think getting publishers on board is not a problem. I just wonder if maybe they should have been doing this a year ago. Apple and Amazon have a decent head start, I just don't know if it matters or not I guess.  

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 10:19 Beamer

avianflu wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 10:11:
I am not amused that all different kinds of push advertising that I never want to see goes against my bandwidth quota on my smartphone.

For now, as a consumer I can simply avoid using apps that use push advertising but I dont know how much longer that will be possible.

Why won't it be possible? Just avoid those apps.

I get metering, to an extent, with cellular right now.
Not for cable, though. It's easy to think of ways that Netflix could have been stifled if cable companies had their act together at the time.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 10:11 avianflu

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo