Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We enjoyed some outdoor time over the weekend in spite of fairly chilly weather. I usually grill on the weekends anyway, and now with the prospect of having to relocate the newly declared nation of Manstovia, I am unlikely to pass up on the chance to char some food. Yesterday's bonus was throwing a fry pan on the grill and firing up some bacon as a garnish... it's really nice to be able to do that and not worry about the mess. And now I have a beautiful little jar of bacon grease in the fridge in case I need to add a dash of healthiness to a future recipe. Mmmmm bacon.

Fatty Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Planet 161.
Links: WorldWide Telescope. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Stories: Police: Michigan Protectors group member arrested. Thanks Fly.
Kazakhstan thanks Borat for 'boosting tourism'. Thanks Neatorama.
Real-life Rapunzel sold her hair to buy her family a house. Thanks Neatorama.
Images: Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo Cosplay Gallery.
Media: Giant Space Invaders Art by Filthy Luker.
Jimmy Fallon's SNL Audition.
German Shepherd Fetches Ball, Returns to Find His Soldier.
Follow-up: Shuttle Enterprise arriving at JFK (big photos).
Peter Jackson Responds to 48 FPS 'Hobbit' Criticism. Thanks HARDOCP.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 19:56 The Half Elf

nin wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 19:53:
According to Dark Horizons

More amusing is that there will be six different options for people to see the film when it opens - 24 FPS 2D, 24 FPS 3D, 24 FPS IMAX 3D, 48 FPS 2D, 48 FPS 3D, 48 FPS IMAX 3D.

Good luck on your local cinema making any effort to denote which version you might be seeing...

Can I get it as a combo meal with nachos and a drink for under 200 dollars?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 19:53 nin

According to Dark Horizons

More amusing is that there will be six different options for people to see the film when it opens - 24 FPS 2D, 24 FPS 3D, 24 FPS IMAX 3D, 48 FPS 2D, 48 FPS 3D, 48 FPS IMAX 3D.

Good luck on your local cinema making any effort to denote which version you might be seeing...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 19:48 Sepharo

nin wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 17:07:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 16:26:
wait a minute....forgive my ignorance...but I just read the article about The Hobbit and I have a question.

People are complaining because he filmed it at a higher frame rate? Can somebody explain to me why filming at a higher quality is a bad thing? I think I am missing something.

People were saying the other day that it looked different - it was so clear it made the sets and props look like sets and props. Referred to it as "a soap opera" look.

I think xkcd had a comic on this a few years back. Basically after years of home videos having a higher fps than actual TV and film productions now when things are smooth we automatically associate it with amateur quality.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 19:18 banddirector

That's right Blue - - if you relocate to the left coast, you can grill every stinkin' day, even in the middle of winter. *That* should make the decision REAL easy!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 17:07 nin

Jivaro wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 16:26:
wait a minute....forgive my ignorance...but I just read the article about The Hobbit and I have a question.

People are complaining because he filmed it at a higher frame rate? Can somebody explain to me why filming at a higher quality is a bad thing? I think I am missing something.

People were saying the other day that it looked different - it was so clear it made the sets and props look like sets and props. Referred to it as "a soap opera" look.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 16:26 Jivaro

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 15:46 Alamar

nin wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 15:38:
I hate wearing pants/socks at home...

Wow, this got awkward in a hurry!

heh... I wear shorts... Inside and out... Even in the Blizzard...

Sure, there's a chance I'll be outside more than the 10 seconds it takes to get from a door to the car, or a chance that the car will die and I'll be stranded, but if I prepared for every unlikely eventuality, I'd be carrying around a 200 lb backpack at all times : )

-Alamar

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 15:40 nin

Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 15:38:
Ooh, sweet new trailer up at IMDB for Prometheus!

I hear it's quite spoilerific, so I'm skipping it...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 15:38 Cutter

Ooh, sweet new trailer up at IMDB for Prometheus!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 15:38 nin

I hate wearing pants/socks at home...

Wow, this got awkward in a hurry!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 15:32 Alamar

Bucky wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 13:43:
Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 13:07:
nin wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 11:02:
Bring on the heat and sunshine!

Fuck that! It's getting close to 90 here this week...

Dude, we're freezing our nads off up here. It's been 10+ degrees below seasonal for 2 or 3 weeks now. *grumble mumble*

We've had freeze watches here in Mass for the last week, which is rather unusual for this time of year. What's really got me going is that it was 70+ in March, and yet at the end of April I'm damn near getting frostbite every time I go for a bike ride. I had to stop checking the weather last week, it was too depressing.

That one week in March was great... Other than all the 'O M G, Global Warming!!!' crap... But I knew winter wasn't done with us...

Having just bought a house, and setting up my office in the basement, I've been quite cold... Waiting on summer and the (lack of) need for central A/C to decide on what to do... I hate wearing pants/socks at home...

-Alamar

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 13:43 Bucky

Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 13:07:

Dude, we're freezing our nads off up here. It's been 10+ degrees below seasonal for 2 or 3 weeks now. *grumble mumble*

We've had freeze watches here in Mass for the last week, which is rather unusual for this time of year. What's really got me going is that it was 70+ in March, and yet at the end of April I'm damn near getting frostbite every time I go for a bike ride. I had to stop checking the weather last week, it was too depressing.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 13:07 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 11:02 nin

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2012, 10:59 Cutter

Looks like this cold snap will finally be over this week and we'll be back into seasonal norms. I sure hope so. Bring on the heat and sunshine!

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo