Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete

The Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Page shows that this fundraising campaign is complete, and that over 36,000 backers have committed over USD $1.8 million to Harebrained Schemes' continuation of the cyberpunk RPG series. The game's kick start in place, they point the way to the Shadowrun Universe Website, where they have opened new forums dedicated to the project.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 17:07 Dmitri_M

WarpCrow wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 15:06:
In my dreams, this game will be a huge commercial success and inspire a publisher like Bethesda to invest in a big budget open world RPG. Complete freedom of character development, combined with a party system, set in the Shadowrun universe with two or three diverse cities/regions to explore, a deep, fleshed out Matrix and Astral Plane...
I think that's what we're actually going to get with the KS titles..?

I really cannot wait for the old school top down perspectives these KS titles will offer without the 3D resource heavy "open world" FPS titles dressed up as RPGs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 16:50 Beelzebud

In my dreams, this game will be a huge commercial success and inspire a publisher like Bethesda to invest in a big budget open world RPG. Complete freedom of character development, combined with a party system, set in the Shadowrun universe with two or three diverse cities/regions to explore, a deep, fleshed out Matrix and Astral Plane...

Bethesda had their chance to do that when they got the rights to Fallout, and they blew it.

16. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 16:22 WarpCrow

Krovven wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 16:13:
WarpCrow wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 16:04:
Krovven wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 15:47:
You aren't getting the point. You are wishing for the very thing that took these types of games away in the first place.

Okay. An ideal RPG, for me, is a deep, detailed world with plenty of opportunity for exploration, an interesting setting packed with lore, and a character I can grow and advance in whatever role I see fit, within reason and the rules laid down by the setting. Everything else is incidental to that. I'm not into this whole genre dogma thing. I backed Shadowrun Returns because I want to see more of Shadowrun outside of the PnP setting. You're acting like I have to subscribe to a certain set of beliefs in order to do that.

Nope you don't. But I can also tell you that I disagree with you, and that I hope you don't get what you wish for in the case of Shadowrun.

That's fine. If I don't, and we get more like SR instead, it's still a win. One way or another, I hope it's just the beginning.

15. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 16:13 Krovven

WarpCrow wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 16:04:
You aren't getting the point. You are wishing for the very thing that took these types of games away in the first place.

Okay. An ideal RPG, for me, is a deep, detailed world with plenty of opportunity for exploration, an interesting setting packed with lore, and a character I can grow and advance in whatever role I see fit, within reason and the rules laid down by the setting. Everything else is incidental to that. I'm not into this whole genre dogma thing. I backed Shadowrun Returns because I want to see more of Shadowrun outside of the PnP setting. You're acting like I have to subscribe to a certain set of beliefs in order to do that.

Nope you don't. But I can also tell you that I disagree with you, and that I hope you don't get what you wish for in the case of Shadowrun.

14. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 16:04 WarpCrow

13. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 15:47 Krovven

12. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 15:39 WarpCrow

MShadowrun Returns will be a turn-based tactical RPG, yes. And that'll be great, because if anyone can do it justice then the original creators of the setting should be able to. All I'm saying is -maybe- it could open the door for something bigger and deeper, something with more freedom and more opportunities for exploration, something that Kickstarter so far has been unable to muster the cash for. If it could be done through Kickstarter then great, if not, well, there are still half-decent publishers out there who might spring for it if SR is a success. That's what I'm interested in, my fantasy for the long term. YMMV.  

11. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 15:33 nin

Kickstarter is a great thing, but it's really nothing more than a means to an end. There is no ideological crusade; it's about getting things done that big publishers are currently unwilling to consider. And not all big publishers are EA/Activision.

I would much rather have the game completed with the KS model than to have microsoft create another Shadowrun that had little/nothing to do with the source material.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 15:25 WarpCrow

Krovven wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 15:15:
In my dreams, this game will be a huge commercial success and inspire a publisher like Bethesda to invest in a big budget open world RPG. Complete freedom of character development, combined with a party system, set in the Shadowrun universe with two or three diverse cities/regions to explore...

Why? I think you entirely miss the point of Kickstarter and a small very dedicated team making the game they want to make, the way they want to make it, without massive corporate overheard quadrupling (or more) the budget.

Large publishers get a hold of this stuff, farm it out to developers that don't understand the source material and what made the original game designs popular. The result is garbage like Syndicate.

Kickstarter is a great thing, but it's really nothing more than a means to an end. There is no ideological crusade; it's about getting things done that big publishers are currently unwilling to consider. And not all big publishers are EA/Activision.

9. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 15:15 Krovven

In my dreams, this game will be a huge commercial success and inspire a publisher like Bethesda to invest in a big budget open world RPG. Complete freedom of character development, combined with a party system, set in the Shadowrun universe with two or three diverse cities/regions to explore...

Why? I think you entirely miss the point of Kickstarter and a small very dedicated team making the game they want to make, the way they want to make it, without massive corporate overheard quadrupling (or more) the budget.

Large publishers get a hold of this stuff, farm it out to developers that don't understand the source material and what made the original game designs popular. The result is garbage like Syndicate.

8. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 15:13 nin

Honestly, I'm excited about a retro looking game (2d, nothing flashy), made by the original creators, and designed specifically for the fans, without any outside interference. And, if done right (IE not taking the money and trying to shop for more investors), that's the appeal of kickstarting these games.

7. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 15:11 Icewind

Well see, that's kinda the opposite point of what it's trying to prove. We want a TURN BASED, TRUE RPG with deep stats. Something Bethesda isn't ever going to do. Or, really, any company outside of indie devs for that matter.

6. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 15:06 WarpCrow

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2012, 15:11.

5. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 14:41 Icewind

I've poured $300 into kickstarter so far, but with no regrets at the moment. With The Dead Linger, Valdis Story, Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2 all looking to be well funded I'd say the future for the games I've invested in looks good.

I'm shocked Dead Linger hasn't received the hype Shadowrun did. It's basically Stalker 2.

4. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 14:33 nin

Jensen has another 2.5 weeks, so I'd be very surprised if it didn't make it's funding.

Now where's my Two Guys kickstarter???

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2012, 14:43.

3. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 14:14 Creston

JediPunisher wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 14:05:
Now for the hard part... we wait.

UGH, tell me about it.
I can't believe it'll be another YEAR before we see this. But I think it'll be worth it.

And we got the SNES/Genesis tie-in mission, AND we got the SNES and Genesis guys to do music, AND we got a second city (Tir Tairngire or Bug City?), AND we got Riggers, AND we got Physical Adepts, AND we got a better editor. Holy shit this is gonna rock so fucking hard.

*hops up and down in glee until game comes out.*

Creston

2. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 14:05 JediPunisher

Wow, that was a nail-biter! I was worried they wouldn't meet their fundraising goals.
Now for the hard part... we wait.

So far, I've sunk about $300 into Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, and Jane Jensen's Moebius...
and soon I'll be throwing more cash at the Tex Murphy - Project Fedora Kickstarter, which begins May 15th.

BTW, Jane Jensen still needs our help to meet her $300K goal for Moebius (about $60K short)... Given all of her Gabriel Knight fans, I'm surprised she hasn't tripled that by now.
Here's the link: http://kck.st/HejXwb While you're there, take the time to ogle her beautiful daughter Raleigh in the intro video.
Raleigh fronts The Scarlet Furies... I'd never heard of them until a week ago, but they are now my favorite new band.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarletfuries/videos

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2012, 14:35.

1. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 13:41 Cutter

I love their update title..."We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we Wang?"

Haha! Awesome flick! I am stoked for this. And it means we should get a good editor with this now too! Yay our side!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo