Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Legal Briefs

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs May 2, 2012, 23:53 Nucas

Verno wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 13:16:
I realize people automatically jump to "frivolous" when they hear lawsuit these days but she tried everything else short of physical violence, would you prefer she resort to that?
i know it speaks ill of my capacity for problem solving, but i wish she could have. animals really only understand one language.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs May 1, 2012, 07:58 Quboid

Prez wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 12:22:
OMFG has this thread taking a turn for the ridiculous and melodramatic! Sorry I fucking said anything. People not knowing your fucking name is NOT privacy. I mean holy shit - thousands of people know my name right now! I better curl up in a fetal position and start mumbling gibberish and drooling on myself.

So how would you feel if you were desperate, but all 3 burger joints turned you down because they read on a fake Facebook profile that you smoke the ganja?

That (like this thread) humanity has become too stupid to be a part of and eat a fucking bullet.

That's certainly a very unlikely scenario, but I think it illustrated the point. I hate to agree with space_captain (because I'm special too, I even get my own bus!) but you are being illogical and melodramatic. This isn't about people not knowing my name, this is about people not reading malicious slander about me.

- Quboid

28. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 30, 2012, 17:11 RollinThundr

OMFG has this thread taking a turn for the ridiculous and melodramatic! Sorry I fucking said anything. People not knowing your fucking name is NOT privacy. I mean holy shit - thousands of people know my name right now! I better curl up in a fetal position and start mumbling gibberish and drooling on myself.

So how would you feel if you were desperate, but all 3 burger joints turned you down because they read on a fake Facebook profile that you smoke the ganja?

That (like this thread) humanity has become too stupid to be a part of and eat a fucking bullet.

You can thank Liberalism for that.

27. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 30, 2012, 16:44 Beamer

That's some pretty out there hyperbole dude. Again with the comments about fear but fear doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. People aren't "curling up into the fetal", they are taking smart precautions about things that could affect them negatively. If you want to freely share your personal information with the internet then go nuts, that's your right but when you preach it to the rest of us expect some legitimate criticism.

I realize people automatically jump to "frivolous" when they hear lawsuit these days but she tried everything else short of physical violence, would you prefer she resort to that? Some things you can't turn the other cheek on.

Use his name to send him 40 pizzas!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 30, 2012, 16:03 space captain

your lack of recognition regarding the difference between subjectivity and objectivity puts you exactly within this same category

thats what makes it so SPECIAL!

Go forth, and kill!

25. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 30, 2012, 15:57 Alamar

...but she tried everything else short of physical violence, would you prefer she resort to that?

Perhaps... Not going to bother looking it up, but there was a 'get back at a bully' video/event a while back (I probably found it here), where the kid slammed the bully... It was awesome... : )

Ironically, I'm generally anti-violence...

-Alamar

24. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 30, 2012, 13:16 Verno

That's some pretty out there hyperbole dude. Again with the comments about fear but fear doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. People aren't "curling up into the fetal", they are taking smart precautions about things that could affect them negatively. If you want to freely share your personal information with the internet then go nuts, that's your right but when you preach it to the rest of us expect some legitimate criticism.

I realize people automatically jump to "frivolous" when they hear lawsuit these days but she tried everything else short of physical violence, would you prefer she resort to that? Some things you can't turn the other cheek on.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

23. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 30, 2012, 12:22 Prez

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2012, 12:27.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

22. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 30, 2012, 09:37 Quboid

Prez wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 22:18:
Dude, not good. No way in hell I'd list stuff like that on the internet.

Thing is, the people who could fuck with me the most already know way more than that about me. I just believe in not hiding behind a forum name. There's not many things I hate more than people who cowardly hide behind their internet anonymity while being an asshole to everyone.

Quboid wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 21:29:
Prez wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 20:23:
I wouldn't care. I certainly wouldn't want to work for a company that would base their hiring decisions on fucking Facebook pages, nor associate with idiots who would judge me for what I supposedly say or do online.

So hypothetically, if you lost your job and were about to lose your house, you'd turn down an employer because they check you out on Facebook?

No, I'd take the job, as a stopgap measure until I found a better one. Hell, if I was desperate I'd be working three burger joints until I found a good job.

- Quboid

21. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 30, 2012, 09:27 Verno

Thing is, the people who could fuck with me the most already know way more than that about me. I just believe in not hiding behind a forum name. There's not many things I hate more than people who cowardly hide behind their internet anonymity while being an asshole to everyone.

Posting your name on the internet isn't brave or something, you aren't a valorous crusader because you chose to ignore your rights to privacy. There are many reasons (other than forum posting) to avoid posting your private information for the world to see and very few reasons to do so. "Well gosh people know it already IRL" yes well thats a very small circle of people who do as compared to potentially millions of others. It's also a fine thing to say as a grown man who has less to fear than say the girl in this story.

Anyway, did you read this story? The girl had her name hijacked by schoolmates who made a fake page full of false information and cruel insults. She didn't make a choice, they made it for her. She tried every other avenue but they didn't work so shes standing up for herself the only way she can.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

20. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 30, 2012, 07:52 eRe4s3r

In this case the bullying victim got "out on facebook" against her will. Someone created the facebook page under her name and a distorted picture. So even if you stay off facebook, if someone makes an account under your name you have to sue. Because facebook won't delete accounts for this.

I agree with Cutter, parents of the bullies should lose right to parent, children off to child-homes and foster parents as punishment.

The real problem is, that while everyone can throw babies in the world, I'd say the amount of people who are even remotely average good parents is 50% - the whole rest creates miscreants because they lack any parenting skill whatsoever. There should be a test or something.... after all, you get tested whether you can drive or not, but when it comes to how you can parent (and thus shape and influence an innocent life) suddenly the gov says "not our problem". Parenting skill also needs to be taught, because you sure as hell aren't learning it in a modern family anymore (when both work normal jobs parenting is automatically crap)

19. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 30, 2012, 03:35 Cutter

Prez wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 19:43:
Oh my fucking god. Sued for bullying? Jesus Tap-dancing Christ. How about everyone just stay the fuck off of Facebook? This whole thing is fucking stupid.

She didn't have a choice. Neither FB or the cops would do anything about it even though laws had clearly been broken. Given how many frivilous lawsuits are out there this is one that actually has merit. Not only should there be a civil suit, but criminal charges filed as well.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

18. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 29, 2012, 22:23 Nucas

Prez wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 20:45:
Click my name up in the corner - my full name has been there since I signed up in 2003.
hahaha repsect

17. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 29, 2012, 22:18 Prez

Quboid wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 21:29:
I wouldn't care. I certainly wouldn't want to work for a company that would base their hiring decisions on fucking Facebook pages, nor associate with idiots who would judge me for what I supposedly say or do online.

So hypothetically, if you lost your job and were about to lose your house, you'd turn down an employer because they check you out on Facebook?

No, I'd take the job, as a stopgap measure until I found a better one. Hell, if I was desperate I'd be working three burger joints until I found a good job.

16. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 29, 2012, 21:53 nin

Prez wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 20:45:
Click my name up in the corner - my full name has been there since I signed up in 2003.

My point is that it's very easy to say "I wouldn't care" until it actually happens to you.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 29, 2012, 21:29 Quboid

- Quboid

14. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 29, 2012, 20:45 Prez

13. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 29, 2012, 20:29 nin

I wouldn't care.

Well, go ahead and send me your real name and I'll starting working on a page for you!

I mean, you won't care, right?

12. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 29, 2012, 20:23 Prez

11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 29, 2012, 20:16 nin

Oh my fucking god. Sued for bullying? Jesus Tap-dancing Christ. How about everyone just stay the fuck off of Facebook? This whole thing is fucking stupid.

You can stay off FB. But what happens when someone you know creates a page for you, pretends to be you (using your name and likeness), and posts racist shit? Is that ok?

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo