Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gothic 3 Community Patch

Mad Vulture Games now offers a new Community Patch for Gothic 3, eradicating more of the bugs that plague Piranha Bytes' RPG sequel. The version 1.75 CP patch offers bug fixes and balance tweaks, widescreen UI support, and enhanced modification capabilities. You can find all the details in this change log.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 20:16 Jerykk

But every Gothic game, since the first, had rather clunky combat.

The problem here isn't the clunky combat. It's the fact that monster combat has devolved into spamming LMB and hoping you don't get stunlocked first. It's the exact same issue that Gothic 3 had. I'm fine with clunky combat as long as there's skill and thought involved (like in G1, 2 and Risen) but that's not the case in Risen 2. NPC combat fares better, as you can actually defend yourself and timing and positioning are still important.

As for critics, PB's games have never been very well-received in the west. Gothic 2 (what most PB fans consider to be their best game) has an average Metacritic score of 79. Gothic has an 81. Risen has a 77. With Risen 2 being the most hyped and marketed of all these games, that means there are only more reviewers to bash it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 13:37 Quinn

Jerykk wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 18:57:
The game feels so good that combat is just one tiny factor that should influence the score of the game.

Combat has always been a huge part of the Gothic and Risen games. Risen 2 is no exception. You spend a large portion of the game in combat, so it's not just a "tiny factor."

A tiny factor is bullshit, I admit. But every Gothic game, since the first, had rather clunky combat. I always liked it, though, and I matter of factly still do in Risen 2. Once you get kick and riposte the game gets that really nice pirate swashbuckler'ish melee feeling. Nothing to get all worked up about and rate a game so goddamn low without giving it a fucking chance.

Pisses me off how a bunch of impatient, arrogant asshole game critics get shit on a game so bad. The devs that put their heart and soul in it -- especially devs like PB -- will feel it hard.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

21. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 13:17 Killswitch

Creston wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 12:14:
0 bytes wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 11:59:
I had a problem with stuttering which seemed to happen when textures loaded or objects popped into the world. It has been a while since I played last, but I did some research at the time and I had concluded that this was an intrinsic flaw of the engine.

If you're talking about Gothic 3, it actually ran just fine on my system back then.

Yes, Gothic 3. Seems a fair amount of people had, or have, an issue with the stuttering. i7-920 6GB and I believe I was using a GTX 285 at that time. Seems that hardware would have been sufficient, but using a GTX 570 now and I'm curious if that'd make any difference. Eh, so many other games to play--and I still have to get through Oblivion GOTY before I pick up Skyrim. heh

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. At least I know that it is capable of running without a problem.

20. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 12:14 Creston

0 bytes wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 11:59:
Creston wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 14:13:
Does it fix the horribly shitty combat?

First and only character I made was melee and, yeah, the combat mechanic was terrible. I would have tried magic or melee, but was worried they may have been way too frustrating. IIRC, magic only had one time use spells. I'm assuming a magic user would be more like a battlemage.

I had a problem with stuttering which seemed to happen when textures loaded or objects popped into the world. It has been a while since I played last, but I did some research at the time and I had concluded that this was an intrinsic flaw of the engine. Had this been everyone's experience? Seemed as if my video settings were too high, but I'm quite sure I had experimented with them, possibly even turning everything down to absolute minimum, to no avail.

I appreciated the game's exploration aspect, though.

If you're talking about Gothic 3, it actually ran just fine on my system back then. I just got tired of the bullshit combat, and the absolutely horrible bugs that were in the game. I had to go to the castle to talk to the king (I guess), and the fucker wasn't there. Turned out the game had spawned him 16 miles into the air, where he was just hanging aimlessly.

Testing? Nah, not for JoWood! Just rush it out the fucking door!

Glad those fuckers have gone bust. Now EA needs to follow suit.

Creston

19. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 12:10 Creston

LittleMe wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 01:08:
Creston search youtube for gothic 2 gameplay and sort by upload date and you'll see for yourself. Looks more open sandboxy to me but I didn't watch much.

You mean Risen 2, I take it? I finished Gothic 2 years ago.

Creston

18. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 11:59 Killswitch

Does it fix the horribly shitty combat?

First and only character I made was melee and, yeah, the combat mechanic was terrible. I would have tried magic or melee, but was worried they may have been way too frustrating. IIRC, magic only had one time use spells. I'm assuming a magic user would be more like a battlemage.

I had a problem with stuttering which seemed to happen when textures loaded or objects popped into the world. It has been a while since I played last, but I did some research at the time and I had concluded that this was an intrinsic flaw of the engine. Had this been everyone's experience? Seemed as if my video settings were too high, but I'm quite sure I had experimented with them, possibly even turning everything down to absolute minimum, to no avail.

I appreciated the game's exploration aspect, though.

17. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 09:15 netnerd85

WaltC wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 08:45:
Your "sale" comment mystifies me since most people I know often wait for sales before they buy anything. Why games should be any different at all is a strange thought. Surely--you don't think all of them are worth $50 on some kind of auto-pilot price plan, right?
You have a point but games are on sale more often and cheaper quicker than they use to be when there was no such thing as Steam and the rest. So the "normal" price or expectation for a game has perhaps changed.

The flip side is people seem to be buying more, there are topics on Steam forums about the amount of games they have but haven't played.

16. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 09:09 verrul

gothic 3 was too open too big too little story driven. And had killer wolves out of the box.  

15. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 08:45 WaltC

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 04:58:
yuastnav wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 04:47:
I really wish Piranha Bytes would just try something new but apparently many developers are afraid of that in today's industry.
People don't buy games anymore unless they are on Sale.

I think the smart developers stick with what they are good at doing and leave the rest to other people...;) Your "sale" comment mystifies me since most people I know often wait for sales before they buy anything. Why games should be any different at all is a strange thought. Surely--you don't think all of them are worth $50 on some kind of auto-pilot price plan, right?

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

14. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 07:03 Jerykk

It would be great if these guys brought dodging back into Risen 2. Unfortunately, that would also require a reworking of the monster AI, as well as new animations/animation tweaks, so it's fairly unlikely.

I loved Gothic 1 and 2 to bits, Gothic 1 is still my most favourite game of all time, but Risen just felt like more of the same and it's getting tedious.
I really wish Piranha Bytes would just try something new but apparently many developers are afraid of that in today's industry.

Risen 2 actually does add some new stuff to the formula. For the first time in any PB game, there are actually skill checks during dialogue (for persuasion, intimidation and sometimes even cheapshots). Many of the quests are relatively open-ended and have multiple solutions. There's also a proper companion system. The armor system has been redone as well, so instead of getting a few major, full-body armor types, you have a bunch of equipment pieces, allowing for greater customization and specialization. They also added a fast travel system and sprint ability. The crafting system seems pretty extensive as well. The different combat abilities add some variety to the combat as well, though this only really applies to NPC combat.

Of course, there are some changes that aren't so great. The combat is the most obvious one, but there's also stuff like being unable to loot guys who have been knocked out but not killed. Also, I don't think monsters sleep anymore. I've wandered around at night and have yet to see any animals taking a nap.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2012, 07:12.

13. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 04:58 netnerd85

yuastnav wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 04:47:
People don't buy games anymore unless they are on Sale.

12. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 04:47 yuastnav

I couldn't even finish Risen because I got so bored with it.
I loved Gothic 1 and 2 to bits, Gothic 1 is still my most favourite game of all time, but Risen just felt like more of the same and it's getting tedious.

11. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 02:17 Wowbagger_TIP

If the combat in Risen 2 is the same as the first then I'll pass. I found it repetitious and boring, making the whole game just feel tedious. I quit halfway through.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 01:08 LittleMe

Creston search youtube for gothic 2 gameplay and sort by upload date and you'll see for yourself. Looks more open sandboxy to me but I didn't watch much.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

9. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 28, 2012, 22:48 Creston

Is Risen 2 at least more interestic visually than the first Risen? I got really bored with exploring in that game, as it all looked the same (and pretty crappy brown at that.)

Creston

8. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 28, 2012, 21:15 netnerd85

Quboid wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 16:12:
Skyrim is polished to the point where the world feels a bit generic...
is an over rated, over marketed game if there ever was one.

7. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 28, 2012, 18:57 Jerykk

The game feels so good that combat is just one tiny factor that should influence the score of the game.

Combat has always been a huge part of the Gothic and Risen games. Risen 2 is no exception. You spend a large portion of the game in combat, so it's not just a "tiny factor."

6. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 28, 2012, 18:15 Quinn

Off-topic:

Risen 2 Dark Waters is out in Europe and it's awesome so far! They nailed the pirate feeling!

If you liked the original Gothic and Risen.. get this game.

Some critics moan like Czech bitches that the combat isn't good enough for them. Don't let that cloud your own judgement. The game feels so good that combat is just one tiny factor that should influence the score of the game.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

5. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 28, 2012, 18:10 Creston

Icewind wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 16:16:
Does this include all the previous offical (ie Piranha Bytes) patches? Does it fix the horribly shitty combat?

I may get this and give Gothic another go.

Creston

It does have a secondary method of combat you can turn on, but that was introduced 2 patches ago. I tried it, but all it does it make it so that human enemies block 99.99% of the time, which makes combat last longer and become more tedious.

I beat the game with last year's community patch and didn't really notice a difference. It's still a mediocre game and a horrible game by Piranha Byte's standards. No patch can fix that.

Alright, I guess I'll give it a try, to see what it's like. Thanks man.

Creston

4. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 28, 2012, 16:16 Icewind

Does this include all the previous offical (ie Piranha Bytes) patches? Does it fix the horribly shitty combat?

I may get this and give Gothic another go.

Creston

It does have a secondary method of combat you can turn on, but that was introduced 2 patches ago. I tried it, but all it does it make it so that human enemies block 99.99% of the time, which makes combat last longer and become more tedious.

I beat the game with last year's community patch and didn't really notice a difference. It's still a mediocre game and a horrible game by Piranha Byte's standards. No patch can fix that.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo