Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA Crowbar Tease

Maximum PC offers the image of a crowbar they received as a promotion for an NVIDIA GeForce LAN/Gaming Festival in Shanghai tomorrow, showing the bar to be emblazoned with the following: "For use in case of zombies or..." This leads to speculation about what might be announced, including comments about the possibility this is Half-Life related, though this small pry bar looks more like an HEV suit shoehorn than Gordon Freeman's melee weapon of choice. They say what this means should be revealed around 11:00 pm EDT tomorrow. Thanks Techie714.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 30, 2012, 02:31 Dev

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 07:26:
There's no reason to own hardware like that. Unless all you want to do is benchmark. I lost interest in having the latest and greatest when the major PC FPS companies started neutering their products for console hardware.
Or if you have $1000 burning a hole in your pocket. Or if you do triple monitors running 3d games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 30, 2012, 01:21 Jerykk

While it's always preferable to go with a single more powerful card there are plenty of situations where SLI/Crossfire is preferable or essential. My previous card was the HD5970 - a Crossfire card - and my experience with it was very positive, except for issues with RAGE (driver related) and Skyrim (Crossfire related). Same with my GTX680 SLI setup.

I guess it depends what games you play. I've played a ton of games that either didn't support Crossfire or performed worse with it enabled. ME3 is a good recent example. Apparently Saints Row 3 runs like ass on any ATI card. Risen 2 runs worse with either SLI or Crossfire. Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 3 ran worse with Crossfire enabled. I think NFS: Shift 2 had a ton of issues with Crossfire. Arkham City ran worse with Crossfire enabled.

It's just way too hit and miss. ATI usually doesn't add proper Crossfire support until after a game's already been out for weeks. Sometimes they just disable Crossfire support entirely. It seems that Nvidia's SLI support is better but I've still heard plenty of horror stories about it.

26. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 29, 2012, 10:47 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 02:33:
Looks pretty sexy to me. Interested to see the benchmarks when they come out. That said, I don't think I'm going to buy another dual GPU card. SLI/Crossfire support is too unreliable. Some games don't support it at all while others actually run/look worse with it enabled. You almost never get twice the performance either. The boost is usually 30-50%.
It depends. As I game at 2560x1600 even with the fastest GPU available - the GTX680 - it's not fast enough for a lot of games, which is why I had to add a second. And it made a big difference in the games that I play, from Crysis 2 to Alan Wake, Batman: Arkham City to The Witcher 2 - all struggled to get near 60fps before, all comfortably over it now.

While it's always preferable to go with a single more powerful card there are plenty of situations where SLI/Crossfire is preferable or essential. My previous card was the HD5970 - a Crossfire card - and my experience with it was very positive, except for issues with RAGE (driver related) and Skyrim (Crossfire related). Same with my GTX680 SLI setup.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

25. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 29, 2012, 07:26 Dmitri_M

There's no reason to own hardware like that. Unless all you want to do is benchmark. I lost interest in having the latest and greatest when the major PC FPS companies started neutering their products for console hardware.  

24. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 29, 2012, 02:40 nin

Do we need to start a campaign to mail in full sized crowbars to Valve, in an effort to loosen their lips?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 29, 2012, 02:33 Jerykk

Xoxotl wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 01:08:
Apparently, it was just another graphics card. Laaaaaame.

Looks pretty sexy to me. Interested to see the benchmarks when they come out. That said, I don't think I'm going to buy another dual GPU card. SLI/Crossfire support is too unreliable. Some games don't support it at all while others actually run/look worse with it enabled. You almost never get twice the performance either. The boost is usually 30-50%.

22. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 29, 2012, 01:08 Xoxotl

Apparently, it was just another graphics card. Laaaaaame.  

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

21. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 28, 2012, 16:11 Sir Graves

NOPE.  

20. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 28, 2012, 11:26 Silicon Avatar

I think if you hit a zombie with a pry bar he'd just groan and keep shuffling.

19. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 28, 2012, 10:30 Riker

SXO wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 08:34:
This is not HL3 related. This is another case of the industry trolling fans to get more attention.

Agreed. If it was HL-related, it would resemble Gordan's crowbar. Lame, nVidia.

18. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 28, 2012, 08:34 SXO

This is not HL3 related. This is another case of the industry trolling fans to get more attention.  

17. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 28, 2012, 07:54 CommunistHamster

TOMORROW'S THE NIGHT!  

16. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 28, 2012, 06:07 Dev

Frijoles wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 23:34:
I'd be very surprised if Valve let anyone else announce HL3 other than themselves.
EXACTLY.

IMHO its probably something like a new nvidia tech demo thing (perhaps one valve related to show off source engine or something). They've been slacking, its been a while since their last one (I don't think they bothered to release one for the 500 series), and they need a nice one to show off the shiny new 680.

OldTimber wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 02:18:
It's needed to open the shipping container of the external cooling unit for the next nvidia card.
The first release of the 680 uses less power, is less hot, less noisy, and more powerful, all while having less memory than the 7970.

15. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 28, 2012, 02:18 OldTimber

It's needed to open the shipping container of the external cooling unit for the next nvidia card.  

14. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 28, 2012, 00:44 cronik

I BELIEEEEEVE  

13. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 27, 2012, 23:34 Frijoles

I'd be very surprised if Valve let anyone else announce HL3 other than themselves. So much anticipation of that one. I hope it's another augmented reality game (for the announce, not the unlock), even though I know people hate them.  

12. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 27, 2012, 23:14 Mashiki Amiketo

zombiefan wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 23:06:
A pry bar is not a crowbar.
Most people no longer know the difference.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 27, 2012, 23:06 zombiefan

A pry bar is not a crowbar.  

10. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 27, 2012, 22:32 MajorD

Techie714 wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 21:42:
WOOT I got a story in!