Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow

The TERA Website and the TERA Europe Website are each counting down the days to the official launch of this action-oriented MMORPG. This also means the game's headstart programs are getting underway this weekend, allowing those who've preordered the game the chance to get going in the game world. This page has details on the European headstart which gets underway today, and this page explains the North American headstart, which begins tomorrow.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 28, 2012, 10:26 Jivaro

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 01:32:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 22:32:
Wrong. You either don't know or you're twisting facts because you are a fanboy. NCSoft did win in Korea, and lost an appeal on several aspects, the loss of which is now pending another appeal.

Name calling. Awesome, because that makes every point so much more "true" somehow. Listen man, if you want to believe that losing on appeal is different then losing, more power to you. In any event, there is currently no lawsuit in Korea or the US blocking the release of the game. As for my apparent "fanboy" status...I own every MMO NCSoft has every published. I still play City of Heroes. If there was a company I were to be a fanboy of, it is NCSoft. I simply stated the case in its simplest form and how I read it to be from various sites like MMORPG.com.

Keep the name calling at grade school, not needed in a reasonable discussion. To that end, in a previous thread, I linked En Masse/Blue Hole's statement on the matter. Check my post history if you want to read it. As it would obviously be biased to some level, I would be curious to know where your description of events is sourced from. A quick and dirty google search led me to http://mmofallout.com/2012/01/26/ncsoft-is-suing-tera-again/. I don't see mention of having to win on appeal in Korea. I do see mention of an injunction filed in NYC. (that according to MMORPG.com has been dropped before anything was actually done..but still, I was unaware that they had even done that) In addition to that, I can find no source that claims that NCSoft is still trying to pursue this in S. Korea. Being that Tera has been out for over a year there, and Lineage III is now Lineage Eternal...I would think this is a dead issue.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2012, 10:50.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 28, 2012, 01:32 Agent.X7

NCSoft "lawsuit": Never happened in the US, and completely failed in S.Korea. The accusation was that because some former NCSoft employees had been working on Lineage 3 and were now working on TERA, that TERA contained Lineage 3 assets. They couldn't prove their case and it was dismissed. NCSoft threatened to file the same complain in the US despite losing in S.Korea, but never did.

Wrong. You either don't know or you're twisting facts because you are a fanboy. NCSoft did win in Korea, and lost an appeal on several aspects, the loss of which is now pending another appeal.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

15. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 28, 2012, 01:18 Wowbagger_TIP

Casters in combat and 50gb install: Its a 11gb download and a 26gb install. Larger then most MMOs today, but not by much. Casters can cast spells while in motion, just not all of them. Some you can, some you can't. Generally speaking, it is fair to say that you ca't most of the time. They make up for this by having very quick cooldowns and cast times for most spells. As for the "glorified cannon" analogy...well....yeah....is that not the case for most MMOS? The mages, sorcerers, warlocks, priests, etc are glass cannons the vast majority of the time. Also, to say that a melee character can move while they are attacking is not completely accurate. They can some of the time, some of the time they can't, and yet other times they move as part of the attack animation.

If it still doesn't sound like your cup of tea, cool, I just thought you would want a more accurate description.
Appreciate the clarifications. I did see several reports of the install taking literally days to download. I actually started the download and let it run overnight. It was barely over 10% the next morning.

As for the caster thing, yes it does sound pretty similar to most MMOs, which is why I was kind of disappointed. I'm looking for something different than most MMOs because I don't really enjoy the typical combat in them. Sounds like this one might be a bit different, but not much. Maybe I'll check back later and see if anything is different.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 23:53 Paranoid Jack

I have to agree the few minutes I was able to play GW2 it did look, feel, and play better than TERA but at least TERA wasn't constantly disconnecting and crashing my controls. I was in GW2 for ten minutes or so turned in my first quest and was disconnected. Tried to log back in but now it crashes or locks up my PC every time... and the only way to exit the game since it breaks the mouse drivers is to shutdown or log off. Did they test this on W7?  

13. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 23:30 Glykon

Very bad game; just play GW2, that is soo much better.  

12. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 23:21 Teddy

Ripperjack wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 13:31:
Ozmodan wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 13:11:
For a game that bombed in Korea, I just don't understand the excitement that is being generated over it. It is basically the same game, but a more westernized version.

Indeed, I predict this game going Free2Play within 3 months.

Also, strange how ArenaNet has their first Guild Wars 2 pre-purchase beta event over this weekend as well... ahhh, I see what you did their ArenaNet, well played sir!

Coincidence. Their previous two beta weekends (that were pretty much Press only) were scheduled last weekend of their respective months as well.

11. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 22:38 Veterator

Played it a bit, thought it was kind of boring. All of the classes seemed too similar and I didn't like the map layout at all. Reminded me a lot of Lineage, which I didn't care for either.

10. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 22:32 Jivaro

NCSoft "lawsuit": Never happened in the US, and completely failed in S.Korea. The accusation was that because some former NCSoft employees had been working on Lineage 3 and were now working on TERA, that TERA contained Lineage 3 assets. They couldn't prove their case and it was dismissed. NCSoft threatened to file the same complain in the US despite losing in S.Korea, but never did.

Casters in combat and 50gb install: Its a 11gb download and a 26gb install. Larger then most MMOs today, but not by much. Casters can cast spells while in motion, just not all of them. Some you can, some you can't. Generally speaking, it is fair to say that you ca't most of the time. They make up for this by having very quick cooldowns and cast times for most spells. As for the "glorified cannon" analogy...well....yeah....is that not the case for most MMOS? The mages, sorcerers, warlocks, priests, etc are glass cannons the vast majority of the time. Also, to say that a melee character can move while they are attacking is not completely accurate. They can some of the time, some of the time they can't, and yet other times they move as part of the attack animation.

If it still doesn't sound like your cup of tea, cool, I just thought you would want a more accurate description.

9. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 21:38 .Drifter

Isn't this the game being sued by NC Soft for theft of designs or programming code or something?
I guess the block on release through the courts didn't go through as planned.

8. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 21:23 Wowbagger_TIP

I read that spellcasters can't move while they're attacking, unlike melee fighters. This essentially turns them into glorified turrets. That sounds kind like a typical EQ/WoW model of combat, perhaps with aiming involved though. I dunno.. that along with the ridiculously huge 50GB install that takes forever made me not wanna try it.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

7. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 16:55 SimplyMonk

Jivaro wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 16:08:
I think ArenaNet/NCSoft have the model in GW2 that I would use if I was making a MMO. It makes the most sense for everyone involved.

Agreed.

6. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 16:08 Jivaro

PropheT wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 15:06:
It's really good, in my opinion. It's the breath of fresh air MMO that I'd been waiting for at least, and I had pretty low expectations when I first tried it.

The combat reminds me a lot of Dark Souls, actually, especially when you decided to solo one of the large monsters.

My take as well. Will that breath of fresh air get stale in 3-6 months? Quite possibly. I think that is always a danger for any MMO. That said, as a fan of the genre but not a fan of "korean grinders", I was greatly surprised by how much fun I had in combat. There are things I find myself having to look past, like the absolute lack of any creativity with regards to the quests or the presentation of said quests. Overall however, the positives outweigh the negatives by a large enough margin for me to really enjoy playing the game.

PvP has turned out to be great fun, which shocked me since I normally don't even bother with it. I mean, usually it is a very rock/paper/scissors type of deal in MMOs, and very gear dependent. Tera actually makes skill the determining factor, which very few MMOs have accomplished. I like the variety in the art styles from zone to zone. I mean one minute you're in the Black Forest and the next minute you're in a Tim Burton movie. I like the variety in the races despite finding some of them a bit ridiculous. I like the fact that the armor models and textures are different from race to race instead of all the "humanoids" wearing the same thing or having the same bodies from the neck down. I like that all of the classes play very differently because I like to try my hand at many classes at once. If they all play the same, there is no point. I think the graphics are pretty damn good, and while that is a very small factor for me personally, it definitely doesn't hurt. I am looking forward to the political system, and I can say that the NA forums don't put me off the same way some other MMO forums (AION) have. You will always have trolls and the like, but overall I am impressed with the community. I hope it doesn't devolve after release.

As I said in another thread, if you don't like MMOs, this isn't going to change your mind. In reality, this game is best for people who want more action/twitch gaming in their MMO instead of the traditional tab/select combat of WoW, SWTOR, etc. For that reason I expect the audience to be fairly small compared to many big name releases, but probably large enough to keep it going for some time.

RE F2P predictions: I think all MMOs should follow a F2P business model, or a hybrid of it like Guild Wars 2 will use, so when somebody says something like "F2P in 3 months" I am not sure I see the negative in that. The negative was not being that way in the first place. The genre is so packed with games these days that if you make someone choose which game they are going to pay a subscription for, because a very small minority of gamers will pay for two or more, they will almost always take the latest greatest. When the "golden glow" of that latest greatest MMO wears off, they just go back to WoW or CoH or EQ2 or whatever else ancient MMO they have invested an incredible amount of time and energy into. Not to mention an established social circle being a factor. If you do find another MMO to play but everyone you like to play with stays at the other game....there is a good chance you will migrate back to that game as well. I mean, MMOs are meant to be social it makes sense that if you find a group of people you like to play with that you will stay with them. If the game is free, you allow these group to move between games more freely, and you give your company a chance to get some of their money. Stick to a subscription and you lose any chance. I just don't see why a MMO would launch with a subscription based business model anymore. I think ArenaNet/NCSoft have the model in GW2 that I would use if I was making a MMO. It makes the most sense for everyone involved.

/wall-o-text

5. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 15:06 PropheT

It's really good, in my opinion. It's the breath of fresh air MMO that I'd been waiting for at least, and I had pretty low expectations when I first tried it.

The combat reminds me a lot of Dark Souls, actually, especially when you decided to solo one of the large monsters.

4. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 14:05 MacLeod

I did manage to play this for a bit during one of the beta weekends, and while I can't say anything about long term, the combat was kind of fun. I did enjoy the idea of blocking, combos and moving and such. It made it a bit less tedious.

That being said, it wasn't enough to get me to subscribe. There were some other issues that I had that I won't get into less I start a crazy argument.

I will be checking out the GW2 beta this weekend however. Hopefully that will keep my attention a bit more.

3. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 13:55 Darks

Ripperjack wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 13:31:
For a game that bombed in Korea, I just don't understand the excitement that is being generated over it. It is basically the same game, but a more westernized version.

Also, strange how ArenaNet has their first Guild Wars 2 pre-purchase beta event over this weekend as well... ahhh, I see what you did their ArenaNet, well played sir!

I watched my Son play some of this last week. He was playing as a rabbit. I was like, WTF! Plus he used a lance for a weapon. The combat looked really stupid. I was like, well this game blows. Onward to Guild Wars 2.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

2. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 13:31 Ripperjack

1. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 13:11 Ozmodan

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo