Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 28, 2012, 10:54 PropheT

PHJF wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 16:22:
The problem is any game on a handheld would be a better game on a non handheld.

Have you played one? Because it's pretty much like playing a console on a handheld. The games aren't neutered to fit on the platform like they were on past handheld.

I'm not a big handheld gamer and I bought a Vita when they released, and I've played it more than any of my consoles since I got it. Mostly Persona 3, a PSP game, but I've played the crap out of the thing largely because it doesn't feel like a handheld.

The games are also not only all available on the PSN but they're usually cheaper there, too, which is nice.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 28, 2012, 05:36 ViRGE

PHJF wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 14:10:
Passing on the Vita because I'm not a ten-year-old boy anymore who needs portable video games to keep himself occupied while his parents drag him to shopping malls and family reunions.
Whereas I grabbed a Vita because I'm a fully grown man who wants to play video games to keep myself occupied when traveling or to avoid waking the rest of the family.
Tumbler wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 13:36:
change their strategy to sell things online...or watch this device fail miserably.
Tumbler, you realize that every Vita game is sold on the PSN store, right? Vita game cards are optional for developers (though encouraged); but every game must be published on PSN. This won't be like the PSP where large swaths of the library are only on UMD.

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 20:55 J

Passing on the Vita because I'm not a ten-year-old boy anymore who needs portable video games to keep himself occupied while his parents drag him to shopping malls and family reunions.
A belated happy 11th birthday to you! how could I resist such a sweet set-up?

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 19:00 Jivaro

See, in terms of game selection, I have no problems with the size of the library at launch. If I have a problem revolving around the games, it is that backwards compatibility should have been considered a "must" by Sony rather then something they could tease and then pull away when the product was "officially" announced.

As many analysts have said over the last year, it is painfully obvious that Sony's decision makers have fallen in love with their own brand, believing their own hype over their actual customers and potential customers. Nothing drove that point home harder for me then shopping for a new TV around the end of last year. Sony TVs cost more then any other brand and yet had less features and the worst picture.

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 17:28 killer_roach

Flatline wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 15:34:
Considering that the only game that ever got any significant play on my PSP was Williams Pinball (and I put like 200 hours into that stupid game, I love pinball), I'll pass on the Vita.

Have already put a fair bit of time into The Pinball Arcade, and Zen Pinball 2 is coming to Vita...

The problem, however, is simple: There's not a lot of games available, the backwards compatibility with prior digital titles still needs work, and, thanks to AT&T, the 3G capabilities are almost useless.

If there were more games available, the price tag wouldn't be so bad - it's easily a better device for the money than the 3DS is (which, gimmicky display aside, is sporting similar hardware to the now-ancient PSP).

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 16:23 Nighthawk

I'm sure the lack of backwards compatibility has nothing to do with the adoption rate at all...
if that's still the case, I stopped listening after I read about that.
Price too.

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 16:22 PHJF

The problem is any game on a handheld would be a better game on a non handheld.

Honestly, who the fuck is the target market for these things, people that take the MTA to work? Kind of a narrow demographic. Nintendo peddles their wares to little kids, which actually makes sense. But I guess Sony stopped making sense from a business perspective a while ago.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 16:15 ledhead1969

Huh? LOL! you moved on from being a 10 year old being dragged around by your parents to a 20-something hibernating in your parents basement playing WoW.

BOT. Vita is a fantastic device. The controls alone make it so I can't ever play another tablet or phone game. The problem is THERE ARE NO NEW GAMES.

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 15:34 Flatline

Considering that the only game that ever got any significant play on my PSP was Williams Pinball (and I put like 200 hours into that stupid game, I love pinball), I'll pass on the Vita.

The Vita needs a system-moving kickass game. Sony doesn't have access to exclusives like Pokemon and Mario Kart and all the shit Nintendo pushes out to move systems. Instead, Sony, in their infinite wisdom, has always seemed to think that half-assed expensive ports of crappy games to their handheld is the way of the future.

Hell, I can't name even one launch title outside of Uncharted for Vita, and I only know Uncharted because of the penny arcade comic.

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 14:34 Hyatus

Headline needs to be changed to: "70% of PSU.com's poll-taking readership will not be getting a Vita"

From what I can see, and this is assuming that most Vita owners are also PS3 owners and that most people only own one system, the adoption rate is roughly 1 in 60 so far.

Just for funsies:
If you were to apply the same logic to the Wii and the 3DS(granted, it has had a little more time to shine than the Vita), the adoption rate would be almost 1 in 6.

These, of course, are going mostly off of shipped systems as listed on wikipedia.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 14:28 Lokust

I passed because I already have a working first gen PSP with a custom rom so I can rip all of my games to a memory card and keep them all on the PSP at the same time, rather than needing to worry about swapping or losing discs.  

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 14:10 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 14:08 Verno

Like many others I was all set to get one until they announced that memory pricing and that did it for me. Just feels like a lavish profit margin on an item that I would have used sparingly at best. I can't really say I've been hankering to play mobile Uncharted either. I'll check it out again when the library is a bit more expanded and hope that the pricing has come down a bit.

I think most people have discovered it rarely pays to be an early adopter for mobile gaming platforms too.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 13:51 entr0py

"70 percent of PS3 owners passing on vita"

That's actually extremely generous. What they really mean is 70% of current play station universe readers. A self-selected bunch of hardcore Sony fans. I would bet their Vita adoption rates are far above the average PS3 owner.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 13:36 Tumbler

Lack of games is a pretty broad stroke on the Vita. At a core level the games they sell on those little sticks are a sign of what Sony considers a priority on the machine. I would prefer Sony push digital games and ship the vita with built in storage expecting people to buy most of their games online.

It's a 3g/wifi device after all. This is what they should have done with the psp and instead they let it die with that stupid umd format. Seems like they're on the same path as before. It's foolish to sell a proprietary format memory card that is required to use it how it is should have been intended from the beginning.

They seem to think the lowered price will make it more enticing but what is a portable device with no memory and games on little cards good for these days?

Everything is going digital and Sony either needs to ship a new PSV that has lots of internal memory and change their strategy to sell things online...or watch this device fail miserably.

The Ipad seems like the mobile gaming device of the future. Any mobile game developer is likely hard at work building software for that and getting them to try to make something on the psv is going to take a LOT of money from Sony.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 13:16 nin

I am passing on the Vita, for now, because of the price and because when you already own a phone and a tablet, it is hard to justify purchasing a third mobile device just because it will game better then the other two.

I'm in the same boat. If I traveled more (or, as you point out, the price was cheaper), I might consider one. But as it stands right now? I can't keep up with the gaming I have at home, much less adding another system into the mix. Same reason I don't own a 3DS, even though I'd like to have one. No time!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 13:13 Ozmodan

Exactly, most of us already have enough mobile devices that we don't need another one just limited to a few expensive games.

Not a good decision by Sony to bring this out. It is overpriced and has a very limited market. It will cost them.

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 12:57 Jivaro

I am passing on the Vita, for now, because of the price and because when you already own a phone and a tablet, it is hard to justify purchasing a third mobile device just because it will game better then the other two. I mean, that is undeniable...games will be better on a Vita the a phone or a tablet...but how many people would give up either to get a Vita? Not me, and I love the damn thing. I just also know that it would be a really expensive fixture on my bookshelf. I am taking my phone when I walk out the door. Everything else after that is extra weight and the device with the most options, which in my opinion is a tablet, is going to be the one I take with me. The screen size of a tablet is another factor for me as well. Being that when I am at home I am going to play on my PC or my PS3...when does that leave time to use the Vita?

If it costs 149 instead of 249, maybe I can justify the frivolous expenditure, but that isn't happening anytime soon and in reality even then..its still going to end up on my bookshelf most of the time.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo