Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Nexon Bids on EA: Report

Bloomberg has a video report on the possibility that Nexon is preparing to make a bid to purchase Electronic Arts. Here is what the report says: "Shares of game make Electronic Arts are trading up more than six percent right now according to a South Korean newspaper. The online gaming company Nexon Japan has contacted EA about making an offer." The report states they do not now how EA would respond, and Eurogamer has a response from Nexon saying its "policy is to never comment on rumors."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 11:12 nin

Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 11:09:
nin wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 10:29:
In fact apparently there's been some scams already, didn't stop Kickstarter from getting another record funding for a wristwatch, $6.3m.

It's at 6.7 and still has 3 weeks to go...

Hipsters are apparently easily parted of their cash.

Creston

Like I said, I think it's neat, but not $150 (their post launch price) neat...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 11:09 Creston

nin wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 10:29:
In fact apparently there's been some scams already, didn't stop Kickstarter from getting another record funding for a wristwatch, $6.3m.

Hipsters are apparently easily parted of their cash.

Creston

27. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 10:31 Verno

Valve and Maxis, oh geez now that would be neat.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

26. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 10:29 bhcompy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 08:49:
I'd love to see EA bought out by just about anyone, as it would be very difficult for them to become any shittier without haemorrhaging the majority of their customer base (which I would also consider a 'win').

My ultimate fantasy? Valve buys out EA. They've got the money. They've got the clout. They've got the vision.

It makes no sense for them to buy EA. They can't manage a company with the scope and size of EA without completely changing how they do business. Now, buying Maxis and Westwood IPs would be very nice. Buying DICE and adding the Valve polish and QA to the raw, but great, games DICE generally puts out would also be very nice.

25. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 10:29 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 10:18 ASeven

Verno wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 08:55:
Iurand wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 07:53:
Kickstarter won't keep it's momentum for ever. Sometime, some one is going to fail big time, and we'll see after that it's really worth.

People should stop judging Kickstarter as if it was a publisher type entity, its going to be a project by project thing. There will be some scammers and there will be some excellent projects, you take the good with the bad. It's not going to replace traditional publishers.

23. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 08:55 Verno

Iurand wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 07:53:
Kickstarter won't keep it's momentum for ever. Sometime, some one is going to fail big time, and we'll see after that it's really worth.

People should stop judging Kickstarter as if it was a publisher type entity, its going to be a project by project thing. There will be some scammers and there will be some excellent projects, you take the good with the bad. It's not going to replace traditional publishers.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

22. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 08:49 theyarecomingforyou

I'd love to see EA bought out by just about anyone, as it would be very difficult for them to become any shittier without haemorrhaging the majority of their customer base (which I would also consider a 'win').

My ultimate fantasy? Valve buys out EA. They've got the money. They've got the clout. They've got the vision.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

21. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 07:53 Iurand

Esoteric wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 02:22:
With Kickstarter, some companies are forgoing the publisher entirely.

Kickstater won't keep it's momentum for ever. Sometime, some one is going to fail big time, and we'll see after that it's really worth.

Julio wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 05:56:
Why does anyone want to buy EA? They make bad games for the most part, everything they touch turns to crap. They're the worst company in America aren't they?

They want to make sure, that new ME3 ending won't suck again.

20. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 07:01 NKD

Why does anyone want to buy EA? They make bad games for the most part, everything they touch turns to crap. They're the worst company in America aren't they?

Yeah man and I hear they eat babies too.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

19. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 06:35 Dev

Even if you bought them ONLY for the IP portfolio and got rid of everyone, it would still be worth it.
All those studios and games EA killed? Those games could be brought back. Dungeon Keeper 3, Populous, new wing commander, new privateer, etc etc.

Heck, keeping the sims team and letting them pump out sims and expansions would probably keep most people at EA employed

Besides, I bet there's a lot of good people at EA, they just can't do what they want because of management.

18. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 05:56 Julio

17. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 04:58 D_K_night

Wow, this just came outta nowhere, just no way to see this coming nor predict even any company for that matter, suddenly talking about buying EA? Wow. I wouldn't even think Zynga would do this.  

16. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 02:22 Esoteric

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 00:47:
It's sad to see games going down the same corporate road that everything else has. Pretty soon it's going to be a few huge mammoth companies controlling all studios.

Actually, it's starting to do the opposite. Since digital distribution has taken off, more and more indie companies have been amazingly successful. A day or three on the Steam top 10 list can cover development costs and then get some profit. With Kickstarter, some companies are forgoing the publisher entirely.

It's akin to the music industry when people realized the big music publishers weren't necessary anymore once digital came around. Of course, huge 100+ million dollar games will still require publisher funding, but a lot of good, cheap games can still be made indie and make a lot of money.

15. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 01:54 Cutter

Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 00:20:
Cutter wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 22:14:

Other way around. Nexon is probably just doing a pump n' dump.

That's assuming they have EA stock.

Creston

They're not subject to fed rules so it probably wouldn't be hard to setup a shell corporation to buy up stock pre-existing to their announcement. A six percent increase is pretty substantial if they bought enough stock before hand.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

14. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 00:47 Beelzebud

It's sad to see games going down the same corporate road that everything else has. Pretty soon it's going to be a few huge mammoth companies controlling all studios.  

13. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 00:20 Creston

Cutter wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 22:14:

Other way around. Nexon is probably just doing a pump n' dump.

That's assuming they have EA stock.

Creston

12. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 00:18 HorrorScope

Longswd wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 00:16:
Haha, maybe they thought they could get them on cheap after they were voted Worst Company in America

Or maybe they were jealous and know combining the two would assuredly guarantee them a dynasty of WCiA awards.

11. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 00:16 Longswd

Haha, maybe they thought they could get them on cheap after they were voted Worst Company in America

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

10. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 26, 2012, 22:18 Fantaz

killer_roach wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:07:
Dev wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 20:57:
hahahah how could they possibly have enough resources to buy EA?

If they can, then valve could. Now THAT I'd like to see, valve buying out EA.

Remember, by market capitalization Zynga can buy EA if they so chose. EA's only a $5 billion company.

From what people have said of Valve's numbers, they're probably in the same territory for size (assuming a profit margin similar to Apple or Microsoft for Valve to base informal valuation on).

We could see a merger... "EA-Zynga" (has a nice ring to it?)

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo