Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month

Valve announces plans to release Perpetual Testing Initiative on May 8th as free DLC for the Windows and OS X editions of Portal 2, the first-person puzzle sequel:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the free Portal 2 DLC titled "Perpetual Testing Initiative" will be available for the PC and Mac on May 8th.

The "Perpetual Testing Initiative" allows players to easily create, share, and play Portal 2 puzzles. The Initiative comes with a simplified puzzle maker that allows that creation of mind-bending puzzles without ever leaving the game.

The puzzle maker can directly publish maps to the Steam Workshop where users can browse, vote on, and select to play them. Selected puzzles will automatically be downloaded and installed inside Portal 2.

Portal 2 holds a Metacritic score of 95% and has been awarded numerous Game of Year awards. It features expansive single and cooperative multiplayer game modes.

For more information on Portal 2 and its downloadable content, please visit http://www.thinkwithportals.com.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

15. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 20:14 MajorD

Cutter wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 19:55:
I APPRECIATE THE SENTIMENT BUT I'VE ALREADY MOVED ON, YOU SEE? IT'S SIMPLY TOO LATE...JUST TOO DAMN LATE...

OH COME ON CUTTER!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 19:55 Cutter

I APPRECIATE THE SENTIMENT BUT I'VE ALREADY MOVED ON, YOU SEE? IT'S SIMPLY TOO LATE...JUST TOO DAMN LATE...

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 19:35 MajorD

Portal 2 is ingenious in many levels, especially with incorporating the CoOp into the whole mix.

Thank you Valve for the forthcoming "FREE" DLC and for continuing to stay true to your & the PC roots.

12. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 18:14 DrEvil

Second one took a while to figure out, first one came after just a try or two.  

11. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 18:13 Ecthelion

After seeing several posters here in just about every Portal 2 thread refer to the puzzles as being too easy (I think the dreaded phrase "dumbed down" was used several times as well), I'm glad to see I wasn't the only person dumb enough to get stuck at least twice.

I can't remember the exact spots, but I know one of them involved the white gel, and I remember overthinking the problem. I think there was also a spot where I tried the correct solution but didn't do it just right, so I tried other ideas when I should have kept trying the original solution.

Anyway, I loved the puzzles, loved the co-op missions, loved the voice acting, and basically everything about the game. Tighter integration of user maps is great news, as long as it's not so simple that it's basically just variants of the same 5 maps. I'd love to see more co-op missions in the game, preferably official, but I'd settle even for high quality user missions.

10. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 17:25 zombiefan

Second instance Blue mentioned had me scratching my head as well.  

9. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 16:27 Shok

Yeah Blue's 2nd place in the spoiler text sounds like the one I remember getting stuck on.  

8. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 16:15  Blue 

SirKnight wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 16:03:
Which part did you get stuck on? I'm curious if it's the same part that had me for a while. Actually, there was a few parts that had me going WTF!?

I'll tell you the two places I needed much more work than expected:

There was a level where you leave the inside labs and need to get across to offices way up on the other side of a huge chasm. It required going back to the speed gel on the floor you previously used to get past some crushers and use it gain momentum to run into a portal on the wall and jump the gap.

The other is the one where you have to manipulate a blob of repelling gel through the pushing/pulling beam so you can drop it on a string of sentry guns on the other side of a glass barrier.

Interested if those were parts others thought were particularly hard or easy.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 16:03 SirKnight

Shok wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 15:40:
ochentay4 wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 15:35:
Nice. I never played Portal 2 despite buying it at full price. Strange isnt it? Seems to be a good time to start playing.

Whoa, it's one of the few games I have finished. I got stuck on one level and had to cheat but besides that I thought it was great.

Looking forward to the level editor and community maps. Hopefully there won't be any shaped like dongs but I doubt it

Which part did you get stuck on? I'm curious if it's the same part that had me for a while. Actually, there was a few parts that had me going WTF!?

6. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 15:51 ViRGE

So they're finally finishing the map editor? Cool, I was wondering when we'd see that.

I just wish they were including some new official maps with this update. User maps are never quite the same (if only because you have to go fumbling through the workshop to find them).

5. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 15:40 Shok

ochentay4 wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 15:35:
Nice. I never played Portal 2 despite buying it at full price. Strange isnt it? Seems to be a good time to start playing.

Whoa, it's one of the few games I have finished. I got stuck on one level and had to cheat but besides that I thought it was great.

Looking forward to the level editor and community maps. Hopefully there won't be any shaped like dongs but I doubt it

4. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 15:39 Alamar

As much as I'm not on the Valve loving, or Portal game/series playing bandwagon(s), I think this is cool...

Interesting though, that free DLC in this day and age sparks a happy vibe, when it used to be that the price of a game would give you all the updates free for a year or two, and THEN there might be an expansion with a good deal of new content...

-Alamar

3. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 15:38 Tumbler

Well that sounds....AWESOME!!!!!!

The puzzle maker can directly publish maps to the Steam Workshop where users can browse, vote on, and select to play them. Selected puzzles will automatically be downloaded and installed inside Portal 2.

I can't wait to see this in action. If the Skyrim mods are any indication I see myself playing a lot more portal 2 in the near future!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 15:35 ochentay4

1. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 14:30 nin

The "Perpetual Testing Initiative" allows players to easily create, share, and play Portal 2 puzzles. The Initiative comes with a simplified puzzle maker that allows that creation of mind-bending puzzles without ever leaving the game.

Now I'm interested.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo