Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month

Valve announces plans to release Perpetual Testing Initiative on May 8th as free DLC for the Windows and OS X editions of Portal 2, the first-person puzzle sequel:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the free Portal 2 DLC titled "Perpetual Testing Initiative" will be available for the PC and Mac on May 8th.

The "Perpetual Testing Initiative" allows players to easily create, share, and play Portal 2 puzzles. The Initiative comes with a simplified puzzle maker that allows that creation of mind-bending puzzles without ever leaving the game.

The puzzle maker can directly publish maps to the Steam Workshop where users can browse, vote on, and select to play them. Selected puzzles will automatically be downloaded and installed inside Portal 2.

Portal 2 holds a Metacritic score of 95% and has been awarded numerous Game of Year awards. It features expansive single and cooperative multiplayer game modes.

For more information on Portal 2 and its downloadable content, please visit http://www.thinkwithportals.com.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 17:01 Silicon Avatar

I remember getting mad and shooting portals everywhere because I couldn't solve a room. As it turned out one of the places I shot a portal to solved the puzzle.

Then I felt stupid because of how hard I'd made the room seem in my head. It was so easy..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 09:44 eRe4s3r

Well the in-game editor certainly won't be able to match the good community maps.. as few as there are. I played those, I liked those, but by now I don't really feel like playing Portal 2 again.  

33. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 09:43 Agrajag

nin wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 09:29:
Wow. I played through the original on the 360, just to see if it could be done, and it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience...

*shrug* Not having played either one anywhere else, I have nothing to compare it with... But, I certainly enjoyed playing both Portal 1 and 2 on 360, and thought both were very pleasant experiences...

But, then I'm a weirdo who never got into gaming with the mouse even when I used to heavily play PC games... I was the crazy bastard still trying to play Quake using only the keyboard! (And, usually getting my ass handed to me, of course...) But, even though it's not nearly as accurate, I find gaming on a console controler far more natural and enjoyable... *shrug* I know, it's just me...

32. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 09:31 Verno

Krovven wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:51:
I havent played Portal 2 since the first week it was out. I've loaded it a couple times, reminded of the puzzle I was stuck on and then quit out.

Was after the escape, big lake or just bottomless pit...and I can't see a single wall that will help me get anywhere.

One of these days I'll look up the solution and continue on. I too found several of the puzzles to be very vague, with only one solution...unlike Portal, I did beginning to end without having to look anything up.

Keep looking. The solution is right in front of you.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

31. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 09:29 nin

I know I'll be burned as a heretic, but I played P2 on Xbox360, and I desperately want this DLC! (Though, what I really want is more official single-player levels...)

Wow. I played through the original on the 360, just to see if it could be done, and it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 08:25 Ecthelion

Agrajag wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 08:10:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 07:51:
Well I didn't start Portal 2 after the first week either mainly because i played through it twice (100% secrets and everything) including coop and that was it. Nothing really life extending about the game, it was good while it lasted, but it has nearly 0 re-playability. Even new puzzles (few exceptions..) are always more of the same principles.

I guess, essentially this game idea is sucked dry now ;p

I disagree completely... If they did nothing but churn out new level packs regularly, I'd be in heaven, and would pay good money for them even! There's pretty much an infinite variety of puzzles you can create using "more of the same principles" we already know... And, for me, they never once got the slightest bit boring... Yes, after replaying the same levels over and over a few times, then it gets kind of boring certainly, since there's nothing left to solve (unless you've got a bad enough memory to have forgotten the solution by now!)... But, any new level that requires figuring out the new solution would be exciting to me, even if it only made use of the same old features from all the old levels...
What he said. I'd love to play new official Portal 2 content.

I'm also in the category of having a bad memory, although it might still be good enough that I'll need to wait a few more months before replaying the game. I think I need to play through a game at least twice before it really sticks in my head and becomes boring to replay (unless the game is so fun to play that knowing the levels well doesn't hurt, e.g. Half Life 2 and Jedi Knight 2).

Anyway, I always wait a few months before a second playthrough, so maybe that helps extend a game's replayability for me. I only do this with games I love though... I tried to replay Mass Effect 1 a while back, and got completely bored before the first level was done.

29. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 08:10 Agrajag

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 07:51:
Well I didn't start Portal 2 after the first week either mainly because i played through it twice (100% secrets and everything) including coop and that was it. Nothing really life extending about the game, it was good while it lasted, but it has nearly 0 re-playability. Even new puzzles (few exceptions..) are always more of the same principles.

I disagree completely... If they did nothing but churn out new level packs regularly, I'd be in heaven, and would pay good money for them even! There's pretty much an infinite variety of puzzles you can create using "more of the same principles" we already know... And, for me, they never once got the slightest bit boring... Yes, after replaying the same levels over and over a few times, then it gets kind of boring certainly, since there's nothing left to solve (unless you've got a bad enough memory to have forgotten the solution by now!)... But, any new level that requires figuring out the new solution would be exciting to me, even if it only made use of the same old features from all the old levels...

28. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 07:51 eRe4s3r

27. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 06:48 Dev

SirKnight wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 20:14:
Yeah one of the spots I got stuck on had to do with white gel. I ended up painting the whole damn place with white
You were far from the only person to do that.

26. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 06:37 Agrajag

Dades wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 22:58:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:46:
I don't like the first Portal more but that is one aspect I did enjoy more. Unless I'm misremembering Portal 2 didn't even have the "solve in least amount of portals" challenges did it? That was actually my favorite part of Portal 1.

There were no least amount of portals puzzles which was a shame.

Well, there weren't with the base game, no... However, that was one of the things added with the previous DLC (mostly consisting of new co-op levels): challenge mode, which has both least portals and least time challenges...

Also, any word on if this new DLC is coming to the consoles too?? I know I'll be burned as a heretic, but I played P2 on Xbox360, and I desperately want this DLC! (Though, what I really want is more official single-player levels...) (And, no, I can't just "get the PC version", because I don't have a Windows machine... My PC is a pretty old Linux box used solely for writing code for work... If Valve really comes through on Linux Steam and releases a Linux Portal 2, then fine, I'll rebuy it, and upgrade my hardware if needed then!)

25. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 01:05 Jerykk

In 2, you had to guess how they wanted you to solve it, and almost anything else tended to end in death....

That's not really true. Watch some Portal 2 speed run videos and you'll see people solving the puzzles in ways the designers did not intend. It was just harder to do in Portal 2 than in the first game.

24. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 22:58 Dades

Sepharo wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:46:
I don't like the first Portal more but that is one aspect I did enjoy more. Unless I'm misremembering Portal 2 didn't even have the "solve in least amount of portals" challenges did it? That was actually my favorite part of Portal 1.

There were no least amount of portals puzzles which was a shame. Portal 2 was a very simple game, they removed a lot of the surfaces you could manipulate which made it a staring exercise. The coop puzzles were a bit more taxing but the singleplayer ones weren't challenging. The first time I saw the new paints I did a doubletake but that was about it.

23. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 22:12 ForgedReality

Krovven wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:51:
I havent played Portal 2 since the first week it was out. I've loaded it a couple times, reminded of the puzzle I was stuck on and then quit out.

Was after the escape, big lake or just bottomless pit...and I can't see a single wall that will help me get anywhere.

One of these days I'll look up the solution and continue on. I too found several of the puzzles to be very vague, with only one solution...unlike Portal, I did beginning to end without having to look anything up.

I didn't have to look anything up for Portal 2 either. Sounds like a you problem. XD

22. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 21:51 Krovven

21. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 21:46 Sepharo

nin wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:36:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:31:
In Portal 1 I solved many a puzzle "incorrectly" but I think there was only one in Portal 2. Mostly because of the limited portal-able surfaces and good level design that draws you to the solution. A lot of my "incorrect" solutions involve falling down a pit but grabbing a minuscule edge and working from there. Also in Portal 1 I put a cube through a hole near the ceiling that was supposed to be just an opening for firing the portal gun.

To me, that's exactly why I liked the first one better. You were encouraged to experiment, and it was possible to solve things in a way they might not have intended.

In 2, you had to guess how they wanted you to solve it, and almost anything else tended to end in death....

20. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 21:36 nin

Sepharo wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:31:
In Portal 1 I solved many a puzzle "incorrectly" but I think there was only one in Portal 2. Mostly because of the limited portal-able surfaces and good level design that draws you to the solution. A lot of my "incorrect" solutions involve falling down a pit but grabbing a minuscule edge and working from there. Also in Portal 1 I put a cube through a hole near the ceiling that was supposed to be just an opening for firing the portal gun.

To me, that's exactly why I liked the first one better. You were encouraged to experiment, and it was possible to solve things in a way they might not have intended.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 21:31 Sepharo

18. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 21:22 Reactor

I just finished P2... and loved it. The story is just great

As for the puzzles, there were only a couple that had me scratching my head. The ah-ha moments throughout though were brilliant.

17. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 21:15 Pigeon

The room I had the most trouble with was chapter 7 level 7 (I think). It wasn't even a hard room, things just didn't click.  

16. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 20:14 SirKnight

Yeah one of the spots I got stuck on had to do with white gel. I ended up painting the whole damn place with white until I had a duh moment and figured out what to do. lol! The solution was pretty simple but it had me for a bit.  

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo