Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Silent Hunter Online Announced

Ubisoft announces Silent Hunter Online, an upcoming free-to-play, browser-based multiplayer game inspired by the Silent Hunter submarine simulation series. The Silent Hunter Online Website is online, offering a promotional trailer and sign-ups to be a beta tester. Here's a bit on the game:

Developed by Ubisoft Blue Byte®, the renowned studio behind popular PC game series such as The Settlers® and Anno, in collaboration with Sproing, Silent Hunter Online promises players a realistic, constantly evolving submarine simulation unlike any other. The game takes full advantage of Adobe Flash® Player 11 technology to bring stunning 3D graphics to browsers.

Silent Hunter Online sees the return of the large array of historically accurate submarines that made the franchise famous, and invites players to experience them online in new ways. At the heart of the game is “the Battle of the Atlantic”, an innovative dynamic campaign in which individual successes impact all other players through asynchronous gameplay. Also, for the first time in the Silent Hunter series, players will be able to play every mission of the campaign in co-op.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 27, 2012, 12:57 eRe4s3r

I have no idea, the same people that play Farmville or random Flash games I guess. It being free with micro payments certainly aims at that crowd  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 27, 2012, 12:55 Dmitri_M

an upcoming free-to-play, browser-based multiplayer game

Who the fuck plays these games.

26. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 27, 2012, 06:00 KilrathiAce

Browser play using adobe flash? rofl looks like they finally decided to bury this series, although when they killed support for sh3 thats when this series died in reality.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

25. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 27, 2012, 00:26 eRe4s3r

I tried all mega mods for SH5... i went back to SH4 (Maru) / SH3 (grey wolves) ;p SH5 just doesn't work for me, its extremely pretty, but the AI, realism, feel.. everything is wrong.  

24. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 21:26 DedEye

skyguy wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:16:
But SH5 doesn't have any megamods like SH3 and SH4 do. What mods do you use to "make" SH5?

Mighty Fine Crew, Intelligent Random AI, FX Update, new UI and TDC by The Dark Wraith, Realistic Equipment Mod, Steel Viking's Interior, Dynamic Environments, the Open Horizons II campaign, and a sprinkling of others related to things like radio, etc.

I think some of the guys behind Grey Wolves for 3 were looking at making one for 5 but I'm not sure where that is at. There are a couple megamods and mod compilations out there, for example Magnum Opus.

23. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 21:16 skyguy

DedEye wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 19:56:
5 again added more features but the same annoying bugs return among new ones. It was and is shackled with always on DRM (the launcher has been patched and it no longer works in offline mode). Ubisoft dropped support after one patch (or was it 2? certainly no more than that). Mods make it.

But SH5 doesn't have any megamods like SH3 and SH4 do. What mods do you use to "make" SH5?

22. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 20:19 Fly

Of all the years and countless hours of playing the Silent Hunter series, I still cannot believe this sh@t. This isn't acceptable Ubisoft! All the hours us, your loyal fans, Captains all over the world have played Silent Hunter. And this is how they thank us? Giving us a Flash Game sequel MMO free to play whatever the f^#& you want to call it. No!
I play Silent Hunter 3, 4, and 5. So many times I've logged in and pressed the "Multiplayer" button and hoped for a second that maybe, maybe someone out there would be online to play along. But no. So I went alone into the great blue yonder, just me and my crew. My own Wolfpack. I always thought, well maybe there would be another sequel and they will promote it more and then more people would play. I kept hope alive and my crew did too.
Through the storms and trials of the great sea we battled. Sometimes until the early dawn hours. So many mods the fans have created and we the players downloaded. Reading through forums over at Subsim for so many years. When it was snowing, too hot or too cold to go outside, our wives and girlfriends in their moods, no other game could take us to another time like the Silent Hunter series. The cold dark waves of the sea calling to us like a distant memory. We ventured forth in our iron and steel machines to quell the uprising of the enemies and turn the tides of war.
So many nights we could have gone out and enjoyed life's pleasures. But no, we chose to play one of the few games in which we, your fans, your Captains, were in control. There was nothing really like it out there. Your own submarine, missions to accomplish, thousands of miles to explore. The great unknown over the horizon. The seagulls which kept us company out there in the darkness. What lay ahead for my crew. The battles to fight in the seas of Midway. Silent Hunter 5 was a hope, a dream that maybe the series had a new vision.
Sure there were some bugs and sometimes the eyeballs my crew were missing, or a ship did cartwheels and shot up into the sky after if was destroyed. That was the beauty of the game. The series was going in the right direction. More user control, more detailed and expansive environments. Awesome graphics and sounds. We, the fans kept hope alive.
But no, you come up with this bullsh!t "news" and expect us to accept it. This is how I feel about the situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPRdj1Ce4ao Wall

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2012, 20:27.

"This is more than anyone can bear, but we will persevere." -Vort

21. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 19:56 DedEye

I've been into subsims since the pinball arcade days and Silent Service, and have been playing this franchise since the first Silent Hunter.

At the time I liked Ace of the Deep slightly better (the campaign mostly) even though SH had SVGA graphics and a much nicer look. I still got a lot of hours out of it because of the different theatre and everything that goes with that. I still have the orignal CD but can't find the map packs.

2 was supposed to have interop with Destroyer Commmand, but Ubi never did fix it and it took a few dedicated individuals and modders many many months to get permission to finally fix it.

3 was groundbreaking in many ways (3d interior with crew being the biggest) but it had a lot of bugs (understandable, new engine and all) and Ubisoft dropped support after a few patches. Shackled with Starforce DRM. Mods make it.

4 added a few more features and switched back to the Pacific. However it was also bug riddled, some carrying over from 3. Ubisoft dropped support after a few patches. I'm not sure what DRM scheme it uses. Mods make it.

5 again added more features but the same annoying bugs return among new ones. It was and is shackled with always on DRM (the launcher has been patched and it no longer works in offline mode). Ubisoft dropped support after one patch (or was it 2? certainly no more than that). Mods make it.

See a trend here?

I do have to say that I have seen some of Ubi's individual employees really go to bat for the community (see community patch for 2, modability, etc.) and these individuals are great. Somewhere up the chain of command something is getting lost however.

It may have taken me awhile to see just how wretchedly Ubisoft, the corporation, treat their customers, but I'll never forget and more than likely never go back.

If SH5 didn't kill the franchise, this most certainly will, at least for people who want more than just an arcade shoot-em up.

Sign me up for kickstart SS!

20. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 18:51 Julio

Maybe they can make it deep like a game of Battleship.  

19. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 18:29 Dades

Please just sell your franchises to a company who will make actual games with them.  

18. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 17:58 NKD

Silent Hunter Online is a Flash game? Pass.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

17. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 17:26 NegaDeath

Relax guys, maybe Adobe Flash 11 is their poorly chosen internal codename for their new game engine that they made to push the envelope of PC gaming and....oh forget it this is Ubisoft we're talking about. At the rate they're going their next PC game will only be available on floppies. The 8" ones. And you have to take a picture of yourself with the floppies and mail the picture in to get an unlock code.  

16. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 17:17 Rigs

Ugh. Meh. *sigh*. FFFFFF....

Mark this day, my friends. April 26th, 2012 - UbiSoft officially runs out of ideas. Who over there thought this was a good idea?! I'd like to know so I can go and kick them right in the ass (or 'arse', as the case may be ). They didn't think forward, they didn't go back and fix what was broken. No, instead, they plopped down right where they were and decided that the genre didn't need innovation. It needed Pay -2 - Win...uh, -ation...

Dammit, dammit, dammit! Looks like SH5 will be the last. Hell SH4 was the last decent one anyway. SH5 was just a crippled wannabe of SH3. You'd think they'd look out of the box and say, 'Hey! How about we have a dynamic Atlantic and Pacific campaign, a strategic mode to command fleets, and add other vessels like patrol/torp boats, destroyers, frigates, cruisers and battleships! Yeah, and then we could have them all seamlessly integrated! You know, like the 'Virtual Battlefield' we promised all those years ago and never really followed through with? Yeah, like that'...

Yeah, but then I slapped myself out of it and came back to suck-ass reality.

A SS Kickstarter, you say? Hmmm, very, very interesting, indeed! Roll with it, SpongeBob, roll with it!

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

15. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 17:09 Marvin T. Martian

Dead in the water!!
UBIsoft--strike one,
be a NAZI--strike two
Have to play COOP--strike 3

YERRRRRRRRRRR OUT!

14. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 15:36 Prez

Cutter wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 13:58:
Le sigh.

Sacre blue!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 15:29 DangerDog

Adobe Flash, huge lol

good luck with that ubishit

12. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 14:38 Burrito of Peace

And the last, and arguably best, WWII sub sim just got flushed right down the shitter.

11. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 13:58 Cutter

Le sigh.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

10. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 13:11 Fly

This has to be a joke. I'm trying to wipe this yellow text on my screen. Something about the next Silent Hunter being in Adobe Flash. Trying to rub my eyes here. It's not going away. WTF! NOOOooo!!!
Ubisoft you b@stards!

"This is more than anyone can bear, but we will persevere." -Vort

9. Re: Silent Hunter Online Announced Apr 26, 2012, 12:22 Iurand

Someone should start Silent Service kickstarter, so I could donate to make my point to Ubi.  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo