Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Game Reviews Apr 27, 2012, 18:22 Matshock

Orogogus wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 18:13:
That, uh, doesn't read like marketing BS to me at all. When you read a changelog you want details like that instead of just "Nerfed Plasma Rifle".

They used the word "buffed" in the last changelog...and they felt the need to mention specifically that there was no change to damage or rof- so now they have a really incomplete "not changed log".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Game Reviews Apr 27, 2012, 18:13 Orogogus

That, uh, doesn't read like marketing BS to me at all. When you read a changelog you want details like that instead of just "Nerfed Plasma Rifle".  

6. Re: Game Reviews Apr 27, 2012, 16:45 Matshock

JaguarUSF wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 15:38:
Matshock wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:34:
The TRIBES forums group pretty much proved that as of 1.0.941.0 the Plasma Rifle is way OP

It is waaaaaaay OP.

Well, it's official, they "Reduced the collision size of Raiderís Plasma Gun projectile by roughly 40%. The weaponís damage and rate of fire remain the same.".

That, run through a marketing BS filter means they nerfed it.

It needed nerfing- but once again, it's better than the stock weapon for the raider so it's still a step up.

Personally, this doesn't bother me that much- balance makes the game more fun than being on the winning side of pay to win.

Now if they'd just make the Phase Rifle not suck...

5. Re: Game Reviews Apr 27, 2012, 15:38 JaguarUSF

Matshock wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:34:
The TRIBES forums group pretty much proved that as of 1.0.941.0 the Plasma Rifle is way OP

It is waaaaaaay OP.

4. Re: Game Reviews Apr 27, 2012, 08:48 Quboid

I'm a little uncomfortable with that - if I pay $3 for the Uber Laser Gun Of Orgasms, I'd be pretty pissed off if it was stripped of its awesomeness even if it had been unbalanced. Perhaps especially as it had been unbalanced, that's probably why I bought it.

This is why I dislike F2P games. If the purchasable stuff is cosmetic then there's not a problem but when the purchases affect balance then not only is it P2W (pay-to-win) but what you pay for might not be what you get to keep.

I know they can't balance everything perfectly right out of the gate but I don't see another way of doing it apart from putting up massive disclaimers to warn people that their purchases could be undermined.

- Quboid

3. Re: Game Reviews Apr 26, 2012, 21:34 Matshock

Quboid wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 20:45:
They nerf guns after people have paid real money for them?

Just my opinion for now. The TRIBES forums group pretty much proved that as of 1.0.941.0 the Plasma Rifle is way OP, so that's fact and if Hi Rez "fixes" it then yes, it will be a fact that they nerf purchased weapons.

I started out on day 2 of the official release with the technician/ thumper- the thumper had a huge blast radius that seems to me to be much smaller now.

Now the good news-

The very high cost unlockable weapons are still better than the starter weapons in almost all cases, even after being nerfed.

Aside, TRIBES Ascend is still a great game- warts and all. I ponied up some $ to support a game I wouldn't mind playing for a year or more.

Even this week I give myself a little pat on the back every time I serve up a Blue Plate Special to a Plasma Gun having little shit that basecamps the whole round. You know who you are.

EDIT: They also buff purchased weapons where appropriate- this is a fact documented by Hi Rez

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2012, 21:40.

2. Re: Game Reviews Apr 26, 2012, 20:45 Quboid

They nerf guns after people have paid real money for them?  

- Quboid

1. Re: Game Reviews Apr 26, 2012, 16:14 Matshock

Tribes Update:

Combat is actually challenging now. The COD generation got the idea. I'm still pulling in ~3000xp per match once I stepped up my game to meet the new standards.

This is good and bad- good for those already in the game and bad for those who are trying to learn it. Hi Rez would do well to set some noob servers for each region- maybe assign everyone under rank 4 to them...

I'm not going to complain about weapon balance- IMO Hi Rez has been quietly nerfing OP weapons (by quietly I mean doing it and not documenting it in release notes- i.e. my Thumper's splash radius is way under it's graphic size now) and as soon as the sales for a certain new weapon stops making them $ they'll nerf it too. Sucks for those of us that invested big gold in a favorite weapon, but probably better for the game as a whole.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo