Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

One of the comments on my post yesterday about the possibility we would be moving hit the situation right on the head, as MrsBue's job is being relocated to Glendale, CA, one of the bazillion cities in Los Angeles County. We're still a bit overwhelmed by the prospect, as MrsBlue has lived in New York her entire adult life and I have been here since I was born, and fully planned on spending my adulthood here, should it ever arrive. But Disney is a good company to work for, and it's a tough job market, so we may just decide this will be an interesting forced adventure. And besides, it would offer the chance to investigate who is diverting the water in Echo Lake!

Adventurous Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Battle Panic.
Angel of the Battlefield.
Links: Where Do Beards Come From- [Beardographic]. Thanks Boing Boing.
Stories: Butcher Tricked Neighbors into Paying for His Wedding, Also Was the One Secretly Slashing Their Tires.
The California Taco Trail- 'How Mexican Food Conquered America'. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: Car heads down subway stairs.
Parenting level: ∞.
Dog Drools Uncontrollably for Treats. Pavlov ftw.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2012, 11:41 Ant

Blue can go to E3 in L.A. and be near me!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2012, 17:54 Starsky

If you drive, make sure you get to Denver and head west down through the mountains from there. Say hi to the herd of elk I merged with 19 years ago, it'll be just like you remember driving in NYC, just prettier.

Godspeed Blue, enjoy the ride!

57. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2012, 11:04 Rigs

nin wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 09:38:
The gradient is kinda pretty, but I suspect I'd notice it for a bit and then get used to it, and basically tune it out...

On the one hand, it would be a small deal and make the page (ever so) slightly more modern, but on the other, I'm from the school of "if it ain't broke..." and the retro look the page has is kinda nice...

Having said that, you should come up with some sort of 8-bit design for next April 1st...

Well, given the possible move to the West, I see it as linking the present with the past (the 'new' blue with the original black) and East to West (old style to new style). It's not drastic, just a small change, but it does look a little better, IMO... *shrugs*

Btw, we're now at 3 votes (75%) Blue-to-Black and 1 vote (25%) plain 'new' blue style...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2012, 11:09.

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

56. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2012, 09:38 nin

That's not an issue. If people have thoughts on this I'd be happy to hear them.

The gradient is kinda pretty, but I suspect I'd notice it for a bit and then get used to it, and basically tune it out...

On the one hand, it would be a small deal and make the page (ever so) slightly more modern, but on the other, I'm from the school of "if it ain't broke..." and the retro look the page has is kinda nice...

Having said that, you should come up with some sort of 8-bit design for next April 1st...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

55. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2012, 09:06 Rigs

Capella wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 09:02:
But I will probably be stuck where I am until the end.

Indeed, didn't the Shivans blow up the Capella Node Jump-Point?

Thanks, Blue. Last time I looked, we had two votes for the 'Blue-to-Black gradient' and one for the plain blue (as it is now), with nearly 40 views (which is a lot for my tiny 'hole-in-the-wall' interwebz page... )...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2012, 09:13.

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

54. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2012, 09:02 Capella

We are up in the air about a lot of this, but one thing we decided at the very outset is if we move, we will drive across country with the dogs. Hudson the wonder dog is not afraid of any beast on this earth, but she gets nervous about strange sounds, is never forced to be in a crate, and has noticeable separation anxiety. She's also pushing 12 years old, and has a heart murmur, and I'm fairly convinced she would not survive a plane trip even if everything went perfectly.

That is awesome! Being an animal lover as well I would not even consider putting my dog on a plane. Just think of the adventures one can have traveling across country.

Good luck on your move if you decide to do it. I have always wanted to move to another state for work. But I will probably be stuck where I am until the end.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

53. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2012, 08:29  Blue 

Rigs wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 20:35:
Ok, just for the hell of it, I put up some examples of how I think the front page could be 'spruced up' some. Again, just for the hell of it, mainly just to get it out there and out of my list of things to remember to do. It feels like my brain is running out of memory lately. I wish I could just pop in another stick of...bRAM? Alas, that's not gonna happen anytime soon, so here you go: http://clubrigs.wordpress.com/2012/04/26/bluesnews-gradients/

I didn't get permission from Blue to show an altered version of the front page, forgive me. I just wanted to know what everyone thought of the idea... ;P

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

52. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2012, 08:00 Rigs

zirik wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 04:23:
xmb1121 wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 03:33:
I think only bad New Yorkers do well in southern California.

in NY they say if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. (referring to the fast paced life style and tough job market)

in CA they say if you cant make it here you wont make it anywhere. (regarding the abundance of jobs and laid back attitude)

In FL, they say 'Screw it! I'm goin' on welfare!'. (Why make the effort when you can get it for free?)

=-Rigs-=

51. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2012, 04:23 zirik

xmb1121 wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 03:33:

in NY they say if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. (referring to the fast paced life style and tough job market)

in CA they say if you cant make it here you wont make it anywhere. (regarding the abundance of jobs and laid back attitude)

50. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2012, 03:33 xmb1121

49. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 21:27 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:15:
PHJF wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 20:08:
Ghost pirates?

Who would want to steal ghosts?

Don't you remember the whole South Park ghost pirate/pirate ghot thing? That's still one of my fave SP moments.

That's like "clown baby" "baby clown" in Sunny.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 21:15 Cutter

PHJF wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 20:08:
Ghost pirates?

Don't you remember the whole South Park ghost pirate/pirate ghot thing? That's still one of my fave SP moments.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

47. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 20:49 zirik

jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 19:59:
zirik wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 19:38:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 16:46:
Hey Blue, be sure to check traffic stats on Sigalert.

i dont think there are parts of los angeles county that is light in traffic during rush hour. plus if they live in glendale then mrs blue wont have to use the freeway to get to work. disney studio is in burbank.

Yeah, I threw that in there in case they were thinking of living further out like Glendora or Monrovia. Housing in Glendale can be kind of expensive.

true. glendale is one of the more expensive places to live in los angeles county. i think anywhere around griffith park is expensive.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 20:35 Rigs

Ok, just for the hell of it, I put up some examples of how I think the front page could be 'spruced up' some. Again, just for the hell of it, mainly just to get it out there and out of my list of things to remember to do. It feels like my brain is running out of memory lately. I wish I could just pop in another stick of...bRAM? Alas, that's not gonna happen anytime soon, so here you go: http://clubrigs.wordpress.com/2012/04/26/bluesnews-gradients/

I didn't get permission from Blue to show an altered version of the front page, forgive me. I just wanted to know what everyone thought of the idea...

=-Rigs-=

45. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 20:08 PHJF

Ghost pirates?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

44. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 20:02 Cutter

Mordhaus wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 19:22:
Pirate ghosts are diverting the water.

You mean ghost pirates.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

43. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 19:59 jdreyer

zirik wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 19:38:
Hey Blue, be sure to check traffic stats on Sigalert.

i dont think there are parts of los angeles county that is light in traffic during rush hour. plus if they live in glendale then mrs blue wont have to use the freeway to get to work. disney studio is in burbank.

Yeah, I threw that in there in case they were thinking of living further out like Glendora or Monrovia. Housing in Glendale can be kind of expensive.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

42. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 19:38 zirik

Hey Blue, my aunt and uncle live in Glendale. It's pretty nice there (for LA), and somewhat out of the city at the foot of the mountains. When considering where to live, be sure to check traffic stats on Sigalert.

hmm. mrs blue will finally be able to take advantage of free unlimited entry for disney salaried employees and their family. disneyland is just a small hop from glendale.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2012, 19:45.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 19:31 zirik

good thing blue experienced a little quake last year. it will be a common thing living near the san andreas fault. also, if mrs blue transfers job to LA i hope the company she works for pays for the move. it can get expensive to ship your belongings. have you considered selling everything and starting over fresh?

i think he will miss having a local NFL team to support. closest one is the san diego chargers. but being able to barbecue all year round will make him use the manstove more often. oh yeah, what will happen to the new manstove? its too heavy to ship. crating almost guarantees total destruction.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 19:28 fraggerron

be prepared for no winter and mild summer compared to ny you just might like the beaches  

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo