Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

One of the comments on my post yesterday about the possibility we would be moving hit the situation right on the head, as MrsBue's job is being relocated to Glendale, CA, one of the bazillion cities in Los Angeles County. We're still a bit overwhelmed by the prospect, as MrsBlue has lived in New York her entire adult life and I have been here since I was born, and fully planned on spending my adulthood here, should it ever arrive. But Disney is a good company to work for, and it's a tough job market, so we may just decide this will be an interesting forced adventure. And besides, it would offer the chance to investigate who is diverting the water in Echo Lake!

Adventurous Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Battle Panic.
Angel of the Battlefield.
Links: Where Do Beards Come From- [Beardographic]. Thanks Boing Boing.
Stories: Butcher Tricked Neighbors into Paying for His Wedding, Also Was the One Secretly Slashing Their Tires.
The California Taco Trail- 'How Mexican Food Conquered America'. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: Car heads down subway stairs.
Parenting level: ∞.
Dog Drools Uncontrollably for Treats. Pavlov ftw.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 13:19 PHJF

We are up in the air about a lot of this, but one thing we decided at the very outset is if we move, we will drive across country with the dogs. Hudson the wonder dog is not afraid of any beast on this earth, but she gets nervous about strange sounds, is never forced to be in a crate, and has noticeable separation anxiety. She's also pushing 12 years old, and has a heart murmur, and I'm fairly convinced she would not survive a plane trip even if everything went perfectly.

Yeah, put Hudson in a crate, tie it to the roof of a car and drive across the country! What's the worst that could happen?

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 13:18 Jivaro

Welcome to Cali Mr. and Mrs. Blue. (ahead of time) Shame you will be in SoCal, NorCal is where it is at. At least from the one point of view that matters....beer. The micro-brews up north are some of the best in the country, let alone the state.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 13:05 Cyanotetyphas

Get ready for some rough weather it almost rained 5 days this year. The temperature can drop to almost 60F when it rains also! On the bright side Glendale is close to some great ramen.  

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 12:39 nin

Blue wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 12:23:
nin wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 11:35:
And have you thought about travel with the dogs, Blue? I don't mean to alarm you, but all the horror stories of the past few years of pets and airlines has convinced me that if I had to move, I'd have to transport the animals myself via car. But doing that from NY to CA seems like a monumental task.

We are up in the air about a lot of this, but one thing we decided at the very outset is if we move, we will drive across country with the dogs. Hudson the wonder dog is not afraid of any beast on this earth, but she gets nervous about strange sounds, is never forced to be in a crate, and has noticeable separation anxiety. She's also pushing 12 years old, and has a heart murmur, and I'm fairly convinced she would not survive a plane trip even if everything went perfectly.

If nothing else, that will certainly make for an odd week of updates.

I'm actually glad to hear that, even though I know the task will be hard on everyone.

The airlines just don't seem to give a shit about pets, and when something does happen, they generally just seem to shrug and move on...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 12:37 SimplyMonk

If this goes through, "Welcome to the neighborhood!"  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 12:37 Neutronbeam

Well, on the upside no snow and year-round grilling, and maybe the chance to visit some studios in the state if you get some all-expenses paid invites. Good luck however it works out.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 12:23  Blue 

nin wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 11:35:
And have you thought about travel with the dogs, Blue? I don't mean to alarm you, but all the horror stories of the past few years of pets and airlines has convinced me that if I had to move, I'd have to transport the animals myself via car. But doing that from NY to CA seems like a monumental task.

If nothing else, that will certainly make for an odd week of updates.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 12:07 Rigs

PHJF wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 11:59:
So you're moving from the most expensive place in America to the next most expensive place in America!

ZING!

Indeed, what a trip! I wouldn't even try to fathom the logistics of that kind of move, especially in the home you guys have! Well, at least you're not having to come down to HomeBase (Orlando), which is good. I don't think the doggies would appreciate the 'Lost World'-sized creepy-crawlies. Heck we have fleas here that would probably see Gunner-man as a nice early afternoon snack! Not to mention the mosquitoes big enough to take off with you...You think I exaggerate, but you'd be surprised. Every thing with more than two legs is super-sized down here..

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 11:59 PHJF

So you're moving from the most expensive place in America to the next most expensive place in America!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 11:56 Acleacius

Sounds like it could be an exciting offer and opportunity, really happy for you and Mrs Blue! Party  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 11:44 Ratty

Moving is among the most traumatic experiences I can think of. Moving from the area you were born and raised and came to love to ... Los Angeles? That's gotta hurt. Glad you're looking at it as a new adventure in life - which is true. Best wishes to you and the Mrs. and your little dog too.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 11:35 nin

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 11:32 Bill Borre

You'll love LA Blue! Leave me a note on my message wall on the Marvel wiki if you want any tips on the area. I'm Darkseid01. And welcome!  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 11:28 Mr. Tact

Agreed, NYC to LA would be a huge change. Good luck with whatever you decide.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 11:22 nin

Wow, big switch in time zones. And weather.

And updates (he said, selfishly)!

Blue would be on Valve time!!!!!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 11:20 Agent.X7

Wow, big switch in time zones. And weather. Instead of blizzards you get earthquakes. Good luck with your decision. That's not one I would want to be forced to make.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 11:17  Blue 

Beamer wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 11:15:
Oh, apologies if you didn't want the location revealed!

No worries... I tend to over-share, so I would have mentioned it. As much as anything, I avoided too much detail because I was mentioning this here before we'd even had the chance to break it to some friends and family.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 11:17 nin

So the offer is official, then? You'll have to keep us posted on what you decide. That's a pretty big step, if you both grew up on the east coast.

Good luck to you, I'm sure it's not an easy decision to make.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 11:15 Beamer

Oh, apologies if you didn't want the location revealed!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo