Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

One of the comments on my post yesterday about the possibility we would be moving hit the situation right on the head, as MrsBue's job is being relocated to Glendale, CA, one of the bazillion cities in Los Angeles County. We're still a bit overwhelmed by the prospect, as MrsBlue has lived in New York her entire adult life and I have been here since I was born, and fully planned on spending my adulthood here, should it ever arrive. But Disney is a good company to work for, and it's a tough job market, so we may just decide this will be an interesting forced adventure. And besides, it would offer the chance to investigate who is diverting the water in Echo Lake!

Adventurous Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Battle Panic.
Angel of the Battlefield.
Links: Where Do Beards Come From- [Beardographic]. Thanks Boing Boing.
Stories: Butcher Tricked Neighbors into Paying for His Wedding, Also Was the One Secretly Slashing Their Tires.
The California Taco Trail- 'How Mexican Food Conquered America'. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: Car heads down subway stairs.
Parenting level: ∞.
Dog Drools Uncontrollably for Treats. Pavlov ftw.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

39. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 19:22 Mordhaus

Pirate ghosts are diverting the water.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 19:01 Lorcin

Spoilers a joke nin, could only spoil it if you've never seen erm any movie ever.

But yeah there was a brief section after the animated bit of the credits. Don't bother sitting through the whole black and white crawl, there's nothing at the very end.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 18:49 nin

Lorcin w/o reading the spoiler, is it safe to assume there's something at the end of the credits, like past marvel movies?

Thanks!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

36. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 18:42 Lorcin

UK doesn't normally get film releases before the US but took the family to see The Avengers tonight. All five of us loved it - even the 11 year old girl who wasn't fussed about going.

Spoiler: The good guys win even though it doesn't look like their going to at one point.

Oh and still no cats so can't make crap dad joke of "I thought I THOR a puddytat"

35. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 17:48 PropheT

Best of luck to both of you however things work out, Blue.  

34. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 17:37 Mangrove

I hope all goes well if you decide to move!  

33. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 17:09 GreyMouser

Glendale is BEAUTIFUL! I live in Orange County, but I have a ton of friends in the Pasadena/Glendale area. If I didn't have to drive down to San Diego often, I'd move into that area in a heartbeat. Probably one of the best places to live in the Greater LA area.  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 16:46 jdreyer

Hey Blue, my aunt and uncle live in Glendale. It's pretty nice there (for LA), and somewhat out of the city at the foot of the mountains. When considering where to live, be sure to check traffic stats on Sigalert.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 16:36 Hoop

Say hello to Hollywood, say goodbye Manstovia.  

Um .. Behind you...

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 16:27 Rigs

nin wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 15:33:
Killer Kane wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 15:24:
Does she know there is a law in California against grilling on the lawn?

Ohhhh SNAP! The move is OFF!!!!

Well, nin said it, so I guess you're gonna have to do it...

Another thing, and I'd imagine this is probably not something that needs to be decided now, but are there plans for the updates during the week you guys take off to WallyWorld? Maybe we could make it a week where the Blue's Fans get to post the news, or maybe have a contest for someone to win the 'honor' of doing it? And then when you get out there you could give the site a slightly different look, like the blue-black gradient I was yabberin' about a few weeks ago. I'm tellin' ya, it looks awesome! I mean, when was the last time the site got a visual overhaul? I'm not saying anything major, just something small to celebrate your new location... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2012, 09:04.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 16:17 MUGWUMP

Go for it. You can be "Blue" from anywhere, but employment from a company like Disney does not come around every day. If I were in your position I would think I had no other options if the missus felt good about her career with them. The fact that they are giving her the option to retain her position in another office is good.

A "forced adventure". I like that.

I occasionally get the itch to just pick up and go somewhere. Then I dismiss the idea because I'm so comfortable where I am and the thought of a new place with no friends or family around is kind of scary.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 16:02  Blue 

I swear I thought I remembered something about it being illegal to grill with charcoal in California, but thankfully it seems I was mistaken.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 16:00 banddirector

Welcome to the left coast!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 15:33 nin

Ohhhh SNAP! The move is OFF!!!!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 15:24 Killer Kane

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 14:19 Cutter

Ugh, LA! I don't mind the rest of southern Californy as the land itself goes but never much cared for LA. Too bad you guys weren't going to San Francisco, now that's a cool town. As a northeasterner myself I've always found the sunlight odd in Cali - sort of diffused and not sharp the way we get it - and I always thought it was just me untill I saw a famous artist talking about the same thing. The sunlight in the northeast is better. No more winter is an upside, though no snow at Xmas is sad. And, of course, much like Tupac said, California does, in fact, know how to party.

I suppose the only thing to is make a list of pros and cons. Obviously limited options in this economy are going to be one of the main factors here. Also, don't forget it's not like it has to be forever. It could just be a grand adventure for a few years. Hell, I've lived all over and always enjoyed the new experiences.

Edit: Any chance you guys can head out there for a few days to scout it out and see if you're into it?

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2012, 15:01.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 13:52 [SC]TherMight

I live in Glendale, CA working for a gaming/tech/web company. As far a LA suburbs go it's a good town. There are not really "bad" parts of town.

Decent temperature all around the year, a/c is a good idea for 1-2 months during the summer when it can warm up. Personally haven't even used the heater in my house for years, but I love the cold.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 13:48 John

Good luck if y'all decide to move! At least you should have more consistent weather.. The earthquakes would be new too.  
This space is available for rent

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 13:35 Beamer

Jivaro wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 13:18:
Welcome to Cali Mr. and Mrs. Blue. (ahead of time) Shame you will be in SoCal, NorCal is where it is at. At least from the one point of view that matters....beer. The micro-brews up north are some of the best in the country, let alone the state.

I'd actually put NC/GA as leaders right now, which is weird to me. GA has Sweetwater, and NC has a whole host of great breweries. Triangle, Mother Earth, Duck Rabbit, Big Boss, LoneRider... man, I miss NC beer options.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 13:33 eunichron

Good luck on the move, Blue! Driving cross country for such a move is the only way to do it.  

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo