Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Launch Events

Blizzard announces worldwide events surrounding the launch of Diablo III on May 15th, as there will be various celebrations of the release beginning the evening of the 14th. This page offers details on all the events, and here's word:

In the US, the official launch event will be hosted by Blizzard and retail partner GameStop at:

The Great Wheel Court of the Irvine Spectrum Mall
    71 Fortune Drive
    Irvine, CA 92618

Festivities will start at 8:00 p.m. PDT on May 14. Gamers in attendance will enjoy an epic evening of entertainment before Diablo III goes on sale at midnight, including a variety of giveaways; an exciting selection of Diablo-related video footage; and multiple contests with exclusive Diablo III-themed prizes, such as laser-etched desktop PCs from Intel. In addition, members of the Diablo III development team will be on site at each of the official events to meet with players and sign their copies of the game.

For more information on the global launch events, visit http://www.blizzard.com/company/events/d3-opening/. In addition to the official US launch event, other retail locations around the country will open at midnight to support gamers looking to pick up their copy of the game the moment it goes live. Please check with your local retailers for further details.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

20. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 02:08 xXBatmanXx

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 01:56:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 01:16:
The old File Planet "You are 2455 person in line....apprx wait time 8 hours".

Heh, I remember the days when FilePlanet didn't even have the queue system. Instead, when there was a new Counter Strike beta release, the site just became overloaded and impossible to use. Amazing to think that FilePlanet was once THE PC gaming file site, and that now it couldn't be more irrelevant.

Yup. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I was at the site. Just went the way of the dodo. Same with all of those other game file servers. The hoops just to download a tiny file, mod, update, etc. You aren't a member, you didn't pay a fee, you are in the que, bla bla bla bla. Click, go somewhere else.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 01:56 Scottish Martial Arts

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 01:16:
The old File Planet "You are 2455 person in line....apprx wait time 8 hours".

Heh, I remember the days when FilePlanet didn't even have the queue system. Instead, when there was a new Counter Strike beta release, the site just became overloaded and impossible to use. Amazing to think that FilePlanet was once THE PC gaming file site, and that now it couldn't be more irrelevant.

18. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 01:39 Mashiki Amiketo

Acleacius wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 23:34:
It's crazy to ship so full of bugs to your customers, at least from what I read there tons of issues with this game.
Been in the beta for a long time, have yet to see it 'full of bugs' except for the minor problems between release patches. And those get fixed rather quickly.

Product full of bugs? Not so much.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 01:30 Bucky

It's crazy to ship so full of bugs to your customers, at least from what I read there tons of issues with this game.

The what now? I think the worst bug I encountered was when the general options settings wouldn't save when the client closed, and that was the only one I can remember seeing.

I'm not going to take Tuesday off, though I'm considering taking Friday off. Things should have settled down a bit by then, and I can roll into a long weekend of gaming.

16. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 01:16 xXBatmanXx

Bhruic wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:49:
Rhialto wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:09:
Not sure I will have received my Collector's Edition box, thus no code to activate the game at that time.

Would be curious to see if Bettle.net will be able to handle all the load. In fact I would love to be in front of the system showing all the stats and data about incoming traffic and such at the launch time. That must be crazy to watch.

If they are doing it the way they describe, the initial load won't be that bad. From the description, at least, they make it sound like they are starting sales at midnight local time. So by the time it goes on sale on the west coast, it'll be 3am on the east coast, and a lot of people will have gone to bed.

I call bs on that. They will be up all night overloading, and the west coast won't be able to login, they will be in the line to get on. hahahahah The old File Planet "You are 2455 person in line....apprx wait time 8 hours".

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

15. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 01:11 xXBatmanXx

Alamar wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:47:
RollinThundr wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:38:
Krovven wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:17:
Would be curious to see if Bettle.net will be able to handle all the load.

That's my concern as well. I've debated a lot whether to take the 15th off work, and decided to do it anyways for shits and giggles. If nothing else, I'll catch up on Legend of Grimlock and a couple other games if B.net happens to be down. Or should I say "when it's down" as Im sure it will be a few times in the first day or two while they fix things.

Here's the thing I don't get, they've been running Battle.net for going on 15+ years now, they know how many preorders they have, they know going on Brand name that they could shit in a box and it'll sell millions. (why I don't know but that's a totally different dead horse we've beaten to death already)

How they can't prepare for that with the numbers and their past experience running Battle.net and WoW I can't understand. Spend the money, put the proper amount of servers and back end in place, and ramp it up if need be.

There's a widely known belief, and even a famous saying, about how you can't always just throw money at a problem to get a solution...

Plus, there's the reality of money... As one person put it; it's not worth it for Blizzard to handle the full influx... They know people are going to put up with it... There will be complaints, raging, etc... Then the demand will settle down, and all the money they saved on hardware/bandwidth they no longer need, will instead go to the CEO : )

-Alamar

My argument or counter point to that would be....they DID JUST SELL A LOT OF HARDARE that theh decom'd from WoW....maybe they should have held onto some of that and used it for D3, then decom'd when the need died down and then sell them. oh well...what do I know.

14. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 01:04 Agent.X7

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 00:52:
Was driving home from work and noticed a Max Payne 3 billboard on a bus. Poor Max Payne 3...being released on the same day as D3.....

MP will probably do well on console...but will probably be a while before it does well on the PC. ie falls below the ridiculous price of $60.

It will eb a while before he does good on PCs, because he isn't coming out until June 26th on PC.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

13. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 00:52 xXBatmanXx

Was driving home from work and noticed a Max Payne 3 billboard on a bus. Poor Max Payne 3...being released on the same day as D3.....

MP will probably do well on console...but will probably be a while before it does well on the PC. ie falls below the ridiculous price of $60.

/edit: Thanks Agent, didn't know that. Guess I can rent it on xbox then and get it out of the way! Goign to suck using the canned ham controller to aim. I should probably just have ssome patience.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2012, 01:20.

12. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 00:28 Flatline

Slippy wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 23:16:
What everyone is suggesting here would be the equivilent of a city that is hosting the Olympics putting in eight lane highways to handle the traffic during it when, on any other day, they only need two lanes...

Bad analogy because there's an Olympic committee who picks what city the Olympics will be going to, and if there's a two lane road going to the olympic grounds when there needs to be 8, the committee says "you only get to host the olympics if you do X, Y, and Z".

It's not unusual for a city to lose their asses getting ready for the Olympics.

To translate this into video games, the D3 launch would have to fizzle because everyone was pissed that Blizzard couldn't handle the load and thus went elsewhere to game.

Which is about as likely to happen as the sun rising in the west.

11. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 23:41 Alamar

Can you name one software package (game or otherwise) shipped in the last decade that was not 'so full of bugs'? : )

Personally, however, I haven't dealt with any bugs in D3 for months... Doesn't mean they're not there, and I steered clear of the stress weekend, but peeps constantly bitch about every single game not being ready at launch; moreso for massives, because there is always a lot of people playing it before launch.

I would call D3 ready, though perhaps not the infrastructure, near launch, but that's ok, because I'll just load it up in single player mode ; )

-Alamar

10. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 23:34 Acleacius

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

9. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 23:20 RollinThundr

Slippy wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 23:16:
There's a widely known belief, and even a famous saying, about how you can't always just throw money at a problem to get a solution...

Plus, there's the reality of money... As one person put it; it's not worth it for Blizzard to handle the full influx... They know people are going to put up with it... There will be complaints, raging, etc... Then the demand will settle down, and all the money they saved on hardware/bandwidth they no longer need, will instead go to the CEO : )

-Alamar

Actually, you are some what right... Let's put it in non-negative terms though... The load they will handle on launch will obviously be larger than what they will deal with on a day by day basis (granted). Server hardware and bandwidth at the level they will require is not small change and (from a bandwidth stand-point) will also be limited by what their band-width provider can support (even they have limits). That being said, why would it make sense to basically 'throw away' that amount of cash when what they purchase will not even be needed in a week or two after launch because the spike will fall?

They obviously have a very good estimate on what they will need but any successful company is successful because they DONT just throw money around. A knee jerk reaction to handle that first two weeks by doubling your hardware and bandwidth could be fatal to the projects profitability. This would then, in turn, impact future support, content, quality, etc...

What everyone is suggesting here would be the equivilent of a city that is hosting the Olympics putting in eight lane highways to handle the traffic during it when, on any other day, they only need two lanes...

This isn't what I'm even remotely suggesting however. I get profit margins and the like, I'm sure between their existing Bnet infrastructure they should already have the resources and gear available to ensure a smooth launch without too much if any further investment.

8. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 23:16 Slippy

-Alamar

Actually, you are some what right... Let's put it in non-negative terms though... The load they will handle on launch will obviously be larger than what they will deal with on a day by day basis (granted). Server hardware and bandwidth at the level they will require is not small change and (from a bandwidth stand-point) will also be limited by what their band-width provider can support (even they have limits). That being said, why would it make sense to basically 'throw away' that amount of cash when what they purchase will not even be needed in a week or two after launch because the spike will fall?

They obviously have a very good estimate on what they will need but any successful company is successful because they DONT just throw money around. A knee jerk reaction to handle that first two weeks by doubling your hardware and bandwidth could be fatal to the projects profitability. This would then, in turn, impact future support, content, quality, etc...

7. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 23:02 Lord Tea

Cutter wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:46:
The fact that this game even won't install on a lot of systems + online DRM = epic fail IMO. I find the hypocrisy disgusting for all you people who curse Ubisoft with one side of your face but are going to support ActiBlizz with the other.

I agree wholeheartedly. Besides I'd like to know how many people bitch about the DRM until the cows come home, and, once the cows are home, buy the game as if nothing happened.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2012, 23:07.

UPSA = United Police States of America

6. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 22:49 Bhruic

Not sure I will have received my Collector's Edition box, thus no code to activate the game at that time.

Would be curious to see if Bettle.net will be able to handle all the load. In fact I would love to be in front of the system showing all the stats and data about incoming traffic and such at the launch time. That must be crazy to watch.

If they are doing it the way they describe, the initial load won't be that bad. From the description, at least, they make it sound like they are starting sales at midnight local time. So by the time it goes on sale on the west coast, it'll be 3am on the east coast, and a lot of people will have gone to bed.

5. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 22:47 Alamar

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:38:

That's my concern as well. I've debated a lot whether to take the 15th off work, and decided to do it anyways for shits and giggles. If nothing else, I'll catch up on Legend of Grimlock and a couple other games if B.net happens to be down. Or should I say "when it's down" as Im sure it will be a few times in the first day or two while they fix things.

Here's the thing I don't get, they've been running Battle.net for going on 15+ years now, they know how many preorders they have, they know going on Brand name that they could shit in a box and it'll sell millions. (why I don't know but that's a totally different dead horse we've beaten to death already)

How they can't prepare for that with the numbers and their past experience running Battle.net and WoW I can't understand. Spend the money, put the proper amount of servers and back end in place, and ramp it up if need be.

-Alamar

4. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 22:46 Cutter

The fact that this game even won't install on a lot of systems + online DRM = epic fail IMO. I find the hypocrisy disgusting for all you people who curse Ubisoft with one side of your face but are going to support ActiBlizz with the other.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 22:38 RollinThundr

2. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 22:17 Krovven

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2012, 22:23.

1. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 22:09 Rhialto

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo