Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Launch Events

Blizzard announces worldwide events surrounding the launch of Diablo III on May 15th, as there will be various celebrations of the release beginning the evening of the 14th. This page offers details on all the events, and here's word:

In the US, the official launch event will be hosted by Blizzard and retail partner GameStop at:

The Great Wheel Court of the Irvine Spectrum Mall
    71 Fortune Drive
    Irvine, CA 92618

Festivities will start at 8:00 p.m. PDT on May 14. Gamers in attendance will enjoy an epic evening of entertainment before Diablo III goes on sale at midnight, including a variety of giveaways; an exciting selection of Diablo-related video footage; and multiple contests with exclusive Diablo III-themed prizes, such as laser-etched desktop PCs from Intel. In addition, members of the Diablo III development team will be on site at each of the official events to meet with players and sign their copies of the game.

For more information on the global launch events, visit http://www.blizzard.com/company/events/d3-opening/. In addition to the official US launch event, other retail locations around the country will open at midnight to support gamers looking to pick up their copy of the game the moment it goes live. Please check with your local retailers for further details.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

40. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 09:58 eRe4s3r

Likely by selling the copies of the game right there, you don't expect Blizzard to give you a signature on your box for free, do you?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 09:56 xXBatmanXx

argh. Trying really hard not to buy this. But I have 3 days off in a row on release day..........  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

38. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 09:55 Darks

So how are they going to be signing copies of the game, when the game won’t even be released yet? Plus, those that do show up will undoubtedly be from out of town and such. So again, how are they signing copies of the game unless they are giving the game away to luck people?  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

37. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 09:20 gilly775

I was intent on not buying this when it comes out because I dislike the strict, always online connection and that there will be no modding. Some of the best mods I have ever played were in D2 and that made the game fun for hours and hours. Unfortunately, I don't think I will play D3 as much as I did D2. The quirky server issues and lag were bad too but I have faith that it will get better.

However, I will most likely buy this because, yes, it is Diablo and some of the most fun I had in college was staying up late and playing with a guy on the other side of the country for hours and hours. I still remember the original Demo in PC Gamer and how I kept replaying it over and over again.

Of course, my wife doesn't understand my gaming habits, but now that my older son is getting to the point we can do co-op, I think this will be a lot of fun too.

36. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 09:13 InBlack

Fly wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 05:45:
Detailed graphics, sounds, and game play. Huge levels, dungeons, and interesting characters. Tons of item drops. Multiplayer was, and here's the important word, fun. I liked the Beta. Just wish the experience was longer. Can't wait to play the rest of the game. I hope there is an option to change the music of the starting zone to the Diablo 2 stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxg5W5wKvLE Guitarist

Well said. Apart from the Battle.net shit-point-0, the beta (this weekend) was smooth as silk.

Whoever designed shit-point-0 definitely needs to have a word with Diablo Lord of Terror and should be in Hell already if not sooner. The auction house also seems to be designed from the ground up to NOT WORK AT ALL. Strange goings on at Blizz....

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 09:03 eRe4s3r

Yeah .. I was more thinking of .. well, Company of Heroes for example. Or Wh40k Dawn of War (the original) with mods. Or SINS, or OTTD

Now that I think about it, There are a lot of Indy games that are fun in LAN too.

34. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 08:59 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 08:20:
Given that all Blizzard games have been cracked and emulated so far this one won't be an exception.

Admittedly I haven't looked into it to any large degree, but afaik, there is still no working emulator for multiplayer Starcraft II. They've got the singleplayer working, but it was designed to be playable offline, so that's not really relevant to the discussion.

I won't deny that if there'll likely be efforts to make emulators, but I wouldn't go so far as to guaruntee their success.

I don't think there was much demand for it . Most of the SC community stuff is based around the official tourneys and whatnot. D3 is basically co-op based MP so my assumption is that there will be a lot of small communities wanting to run their own emulated battle.net servers where people can play games together and whatnot. It will take a long time to pull off though, many things like the AI routines and item drops now depend on server function returns.

Anyway not going to bother taking a day off work for this, seems silly when I can just wait a day or two to get a smoother play experience. There will likely be server queues and downtime on launch day so meh.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

33. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 08:53 xXBatmanXx

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 08:50:
StarFriend apparently offers Lan play for SC2 but as I don't really care for SC2 i have no idea whether that actually works or is legit, I only know that you could potentially (if it indeed does work) play on-line via VPN tools or in LAN

I am surprised there are even still groups bothering, SC2 was never really popular for pirates because SP was easily cracked and .. well , nobody really cared for the MP in the warez version I guess. I know skirmish was also quickly cracked and after that, well .. interest pretty much died.

After all, someone who honestly wanted to play SC2 in MP got the legit version. And those who didn't tried the SP "illegally" and dropped the game after the ending credits. They certainly wouldn't be bothering with SC2 for their LAN games. There are better RTS to play on LAN ,p

Yea like Worms!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

32. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 08:50 eRe4s3r

StarFriend apparently offers Lan play for SC2 but as I don't really care for SC2 i have no idea whether that actually works or is legit, I only know that you could potentially (if it indeed does work) play on-line via VPN tools or in LAN

I am surprised there are even still groups bothering, SC2 was never really popular for pirates because SP was easily cracked and .. well , nobody really cared for the MP in the warez version I guess. I know skirmish was also quickly cracked and after that, well .. interest pretty much died.

After all, someone who honestly wanted to play SC2 in MP got the legit version. And those who didn't tried the SP "illegally" and dropped the game after the ending credits. They certainly wouldn't be bothering with SC2 for their LAN games. There are better RTS to play on LAN ,p

It's a given D3 will be cracked either way. Only question is will it be playable and how much fiddling is involved ;p

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2012, 08:58.

31. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 08:34 MrGrosser

Agreed, Diablo 3 on launch day is going to be like WoW on an Expansion release. You don't login when it goes live, log in 8hrs after it goes and those idiots who stayed up all night are dropping off. At least that is how I remember both Wrath and Cat.  

30. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 08:20 Bhruic

Given that all Blizzard games have been cracked and emulated so far this one won't be an exception.

Admittedly I haven't looked into it to any large degree, but afaik, there is still no working emulator for multiplayer Starcraft II. They've got the singleplayer working, but it was designed to be playable offline, so that's not really relevant to the discussion.

I won't deny that if there'll likely be efforts to make emulators, but I wouldn't go so far as to guaruntee their success.

29. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 07:34 Dades

Overon wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 06:34:
The most interesting thing to me will be if pirates are going to be able to get around the online DRM. I doubt they will. It would be an interesting challenge and I suspect that the only way to do it would be emulate Blizzard.net. Also because of this online DRM requirement, Blizzard has painted a big bullseye sign. There will be people who will be trying to launch denial of service attacks of some kind on Blizzard.net so that legitimate customers will not be able to play to make a point about this kind of DRM. And I'm saying now, that if people are prevented from playing because of the online requirement, there will be hell to pay and there will be a ton of vitriol thrown against Blizzard.

I guess I don't know if Blizzard.net has been attacked in the past with any success.

For those that you that may be "in the know," has Blizzard addressed concerns that are found here:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/22/how-diablo-iiis-drm-will-affect-you/

I remember someone linking some basic server emulators in the previous topics so it will definitely happen, it's more a question of how long it takes. I'd say months based on the inherent complexity plus the teams will have to deobfuscate a lot of Blizzards netcode.

28. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 07:19 eRe4s3r

I would say it is not a question of "if" rather than "when" and "what"

Given that all Blizzard games have been cracked and emulated so far this one won't be an exception. It's high profile enough to give whoever makes a working off-line crack for Diablo 3 very, very famous in those circles. Especially because it requires not just emulating b.net but actually emulating the entire game to online to game communication. It won't be a simple exe crack thats for sure. And it won't be anytime soon. But it'll come, unless the game turns out to suck.

Also if that happens, the game is open for mods. And as usual, pirates will eventually have the superior game version. Because if its locally emulated, lan play + mods becomes possible.

27. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 06:34 Overon

The most interesting thing to me will be if pirates are going to be able to get around the online DRM. I doubt they will. It would be an interesting challenge and I suspect that the only way to do it would be emulate Blizzard.net. Also because of this online DRM requirement, Blizzard has painted a big bullseye sign. There will be people who will be trying to launch denial of service attacks of some kind on Blizzard.net so that legitimate customers will not be able to play to make a point about this kind of DRM. And I'm saying now, that if people are prevented from playing because of the online requirement, there will be hell to pay and there will be a ton of vitriol thrown against Blizzard.

I guess I don't know if Blizzard.net has been attacked in the past with any success.

For those that you that may be "in the know," has Blizzard addressed concerns that are found here:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/22/how-diablo-iiis-drm-will-affect-you/

26. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 05:58 Golwar

Why do some people act as if Blizzard would already have failed to handle the storm with their servers? Just because of the Open Beta?
That they underestimated the interest there doesn't mean that they'll underestimate what happens during the launch. Not to mention that there were only servers in America during the beta.

25. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 05:45 Fly

Detailed graphics, sounds, and game play. Huge levels, dungeons, and interesting characters. Tons of item drops. Multiplayer was, and here's the important word, fun. I liked the Beta. Just wish the experience was longer. Can't wait to play the rest of the game. I hope there is an option to change the music of the starting zone to the Diablo 2 stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxg5W5wKvLE Guitarist

"This is more than anyone can bear, but we will persevere." -Vort

24. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 05:25 Julio

I found no bugs when playing beta. Worked perfectly on my system.

I've already downloaded the game from my preorder and am ready to roll on the 15th.

23. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 04:14 Theo

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 01:39:
Acleacius wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 23:34:
It's crazy to ship so full of bugs to your customers, at least from what I read there tons of issues with this game.
Been in the beta for a long time, have yet to see it 'full of bugs' except for the minor problems between release patches. And those get fixed rather quickly.

Product full of bugs? Not so much.

Been in since first wave of beta 1. games full of bugs? anyone telling you so is full of it - its got its issues and lots has change since early beta - but its not buggy except when the servers go shitshaped.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

22. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 03:46 Mashiki Amiketo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 02:40:
Looking around....not seeing any pre-order bonuses. Not even a mouse pad or something. hell, I bought Max Payne and got a mouse pad back in the day. Still use it today!
Yeah to be honest man, not much of that anymore unless you're ordering the super-duper-deluxe edition with the automatic ass-polishing kit.

That's like asking where the cloth maps are.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 02:40 xXBatmanXx

Looking around....not seeing any pre-order bonuses. Not even a mouse pad or something. hell, I bought Max Payne and got a mouse pad back in the day. Still use it today!  

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo