Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Launch Events

Blizzard announces worldwide events surrounding the launch of Diablo III on May 15th, as there will be various celebrations of the release beginning the evening of the 14th. This page offers details on all the events, and here's word:

In the US, the official launch event will be hosted by Blizzard and retail partner GameStop at:

The Great Wheel Court of the Irvine Spectrum Mall
    71 Fortune Drive
    Irvine, CA 92618

Festivities will start at 8:00 p.m. PDT on May 14. Gamers in attendance will enjoy an epic evening of entertainment before Diablo III goes on sale at midnight, including a variety of giveaways; an exciting selection of Diablo-related video footage; and multiple contests with exclusive Diablo III-themed prizes, such as laser-etched desktop PCs from Intel. In addition, members of the Diablo III development team will be on site at each of the official events to meet with players and sign their copies of the game.

For more information on the global launch events, visit http://www.blizzard.com/company/events/d3-opening/. In addition to the official US launch event, other retail locations around the country will open at midnight to support gamers looking to pick up their copy of the game the moment it goes live. Please check with your local retailers for further details.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

60. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 17:40 Darks

deqer wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 17:10:
Darks wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 13:41:
deqer wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 10:45:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 09:56:
argh. Trying really hard not to buy this. But I have 3 days off in a row on release day..........
Dude, don't do it. Don't get sucked in. Not even for that initial $60. Don't do it. ActiBlizz needs to learn.

Learn what? Learn that the 15 Million copies they are going to sell are hurting their business because some of you decide to boycott the game? Please, you are joking right? There is nothing wrong with this game that deems anyone from boycotting it. Other then the few of you nitpicking it because of a internet connection to play the game. I for one while playing the beta for several hours at a time have never once experienced a disconnect. So if you are one of those that gets disconnected. Then you might want to look at your own ISP or router for the problem.
^ total fanboi

Blizzard could make a Diablo 4 and put a scoop of poop in it and you'd still buy it.

So I’m a fanboi because I happen to like the game and enjoy playing Coop with my friends? I’m 49 years old junior. So I’m pretty sure I know what I like if life and what I want. So get a life moron!! Oh wait, that’s why you’re not buying the game, it’s because you have no friends to play the game with in the first place.

This is the typical answer when someone wants to try and hate on another person for liking a game that they despise. I’m in no way a fan boi. I just happen to like the game, and if that too much for you to understand then you are clearly a clueless idiot and should do us all a favor and remove yourself.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 17:13 RollinThundr

Alamar wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 16:22:
RollinThundr wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 15:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 10:54:
These beer goggles need less beer!

Blizzard is doing the exact same thing as EA, can't believe I am seeing doublethink here on bluesnews. B.Net is an entire digital distribution system, with RMT and digital purchases. That is *exactly* why the game isn't on Steam or any other digital distributor (unlike Origin games, by the way)

So Blizzard is actually even WORSE than EA. At least EA gives you the option who manhandles you, Blizzard just does it wholesale.

Yes but it's only trendy to hate EA and not Valve or BlizzActivison of all things. It's funny the hate Activision gets in a COD thread or a Guitar Hero thread, but when it's Blizzard "we take a decade a game due to lack of project management and can do no wrong" Restrictions like always on DRM (See Ubisoft hate) Or limiting online distro to just themselves (See EA/Origin hate) its somehow ok and different. Like I've said a few times, gamers are the most hypocritical bunch of douches period.

That last line kind of sums up your problem though...

'Gamers' is a community, and any one topic in that community, it has an opinion (as a whole, which we'll just say is the statistical superior), so anyone going against that opinion is a hypocrit (or as seen on this site for ages, a douche, idiot, fan boy, 'hater', etc).

In short... Groups aren't hypocritical, unless they're sheep or lemmings... People are... : )

Plus, as humans, we're all hyporcrits, so it's kind of moot.

-Alamar

C'mon, you know as well as I do, people pile on EA for Origin related stuff all the time, or the whole "I'll only buy it on steam!" bullshit. Because you know running a desktop icon to start a game is so radically different depending on which DD service you bought it from.

Yet Blizzard can essentially do the same thing and everyone is fine with it. Don't give me that cop out crap.

Or threaten to boycott Ubisoft for DRM, yet Blizzard does it, and goes one further by including a real money auction house that they get a cut off of, when anyone with half a brain knows D3 will have the same duped items economy 1 and 2 did, and hey no problem mon!

If that isn't hypocritical I'm not sure what is.

58. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 17:10 deqer

Darks wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 13:41:
argh. Trying really hard not to buy this. But I have 3 days off in a row on release day..........
Dude, don't do it. Don't get sucked in. Not even for that initial $60. Don't do it. ActiBlizz needs to learn.

Learn what? Learn that the 15 Million copies they are going to sell are hurting their business because some of you decide to boycott the game? Please, you are joking right? There is nothing wrong with this game that deems anyone from boycotting it. Other then the few of you nitpicking it because of a internet connection to play the game. I for one while playing the beta for several hours at a time have never once experienced a disconnect. So if you are one of those that gets disconnected. Then you might want to look at your own ISP or router for the problem.
^ total fanboi

Blizzard could make a Diablo 4 and put a scoop of poop in it and you'd still buy it.

57. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 17:10 Flatline

Slippy wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 12:32:
Flatline wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 00:28:
Bad analogy because there's an Olympic committee who picks what city the Olympics will be going to, and if there's a two lane road going to the olympic grounds when there needs to be 8, the committee says "you only get to host the olympics if you do X, Y, and Z".

It's not unusual for a city to lose their asses getting ready for the Olympics.

To translate this into video games, the D3 launch would have to fizzle because everyone was pissed that Blizzard couldn't handle the load and thus went elsewhere to game.

Which is about as likely to happen as the sun rising in the west.
LMFAO! You didn't...

Um, OK yeah, you're right and it doesn't involve the Department of Transportation, asphalt, and Yellow Non-Lead Based Paint either... It was an analogy... I should have known not to use analogies here... because it starts with 'ANAL'.

AND …don't even get me started on the lead based paint... I like to see those lines when it is raining outside and who the hell is going to let their kid lick the paint on the road anyway! You can blame the damn eco-hippies for that one…

I miss the old days when people would actually talk about a game instead of just whining and complaining about everything that is not perfect in the world and how everyone else’s ideas are always better... and how OBVIOUSLY because Product X was designed by said company that makes money it must be evil and must be taught a lesson...
sheesh... what a waste.

Blizzard is awesome… they make games I enjoy; at prices I am willing to pay based on my income. They not only make money but bring in a profit so that they can make more games that I will like which makes me happy. If it didn’t, I live in a capitalism based society (for the time being anyways and thank God for that), if I end up not liking Blizzard, I have the CHOICE to start liking ‘Running With Scissors’ instead.

Wait... you're a dipshit who can't use a proper analogy and you're calling me anal?

Whatever dude...

And also... *what* old days? I've been gaming since fucking pong and people have *always* been critical of some aspect of games or another.

So just... stop.

56. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 16:22 Alamar

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 15:52:

Blizzard is doing the exact same thing as EA, can't believe I am seeing doublethink here on bluesnews. B.Net is an entire digital distribution system, with RMT and digital purchases. That is *exactly* why the game isn't on Steam or any other digital distributor (unlike Origin games, by the way)

So Blizzard is actually even WORSE than EA. At least EA gives you the option who manhandles you, Blizzard just does it wholesale.

Yes but it's only trendy to hate EA and not Valve or BlizzActivison of all things. It's funny the hate Activision gets in a COD thread or a Guitar Hero thread, but when it's Blizzard "we take a decade a game due to lack of project management and can do no wrong" Restrictions like always on DRM (See Ubisoft hate) Or limiting online distro to just themselves (See EA/Origin hate) its somehow ok and different. Like I've said a few times, gamers are the most hypocritical bunch of douches period.

That last line kind of sums up your problem though...

'Gamers' is a community, and any one topic in that community, it has an opinion (as a whole, which we'll just say is the statistical superior), so anyone going against that opinion is a hypocrit (or as seen on this site for ages, a douche, idiot, fan boy, 'hater', etc).

In short... Groups aren't hypocritical, unless they're sheep or lemmings... People are... : )

Plus, as humans, we're all hyporcrits, so it's kind of moot.

-Alamar

55. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 15:52 RollinThundr

54. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 15:42 Prez

While the game will undoubtedly sell boatloads, to categorize the number of people not buying D3 specifically because of the online DRM as "a few" is very likely grossly understating it. I won't be buying it for that reason (not to mention the goofy MMO trappings shoehorned into a game that isn't an MMO), but honestly I don't care if I'm the only one or one of millions. I'm not making a statement, other than saying I will not buy into this bullshit regardless of who does it. Everyone else can and will do whatever they choose; makes no difference to me.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

53. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 13:41 Darks

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2012, 13:47.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

52. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 12:32 Slippy

Flatline wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 00:28:
Bad analogy because there's an Olympic committee who picks what city the Olympics will be going to, and if there's a two lane road going to the olympic grounds when there needs to be 8, the committee says "you only get to host the olympics if you do X, Y, and Z".

It's not unusual for a city to lose their asses getting ready for the Olympics.

To translate this into video games, the D3 launch would have to fizzle because everyone was pissed that Blizzard couldn't handle the load and thus went elsewhere to game.

Which is about as likely to happen as the sun rising in the west.
LMFAO! You didn't...

Um, OK yeah, you're right and it doesn't involve the Department of Transportation, asphalt, and Yellow Non-Lead Based Paint either... It was an analogy... I should have known not to use analogies here... because it starts with 'ANAL'.

AND …don't even get me started on the lead based paint... I like to see those lines when it is raining outside and who the hell is going to let their kid lick the paint on the road anyway! You can blame the damn eco-hippies for that one…

I miss the old days when people would actually talk about a game instead of just whining and complaining about everything that is not perfect in the world and how everyone else’s ideas are always better... and how OBVIOUSLY because Product X was designed by said company that makes money it must be evil and must be taught a lesson...
sheesh... what a waste.

Blizzard is awesome… they make games I enjoy; at prices I am willing to pay based on my income. They not only make money but bring in a profit so that they can make more games that I will like which makes me happy. If it didn’t, I live in a capitalism based society (for the time being anyways and thank God for that), if I end up not liking Blizzard, I have the CHOICE to start liking ‘Running With Scissors’ instead.

51. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 12:32 Verno

So you think when a publisher decides retailer X is bad for some reason that is somehow more evil than a publisher/developer deciding that the only place their games should be bought is via their (over-priced) store? Battle net is an entire exclusive digital distribution system. For Blizzard games. Origin is EA's store, they could also just do an exclusive stunt and call it a day. They do not. Hence, EA better than Blizzard.

I wouldn't use the word "evil" to describe either of them so I think we have a fundamental disconnect here. You seem to be arguing degrees of "bad" and I'd say Blizzard provides a lot more for your dollar than EA does. Blizzard also tends to run its platforms forever unlike EA with its forced sunsetting that is quite common and their nickel and diming revenue schemes.

There's nothing wrong with exclusivity in my mind either, whether its from EA or Blizzard. I just don't like publishers playing favorites and pissing consumers off with "ok we'll put this on Steam or Amazon but not this".

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

50. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 11:50 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 11:24:

Blizzard is doing the exact same think as EA, can't believe I am seeing doublethink here on bluesnews. B.Net is an entire digital distribution system, with RMT and digital purchases. That is *exactly* why the game isn't on Steam or any other digital distributor (unlike Origin games, by the way)

So Blizzard is actually even WORSE than EA.

The EA/Steam thing bugged a lot of people because it was a specific exclusion and relatively transparent one. Steam built a market and EA wants a shortcut to that user base that they don't have to work for. Blizzard just makes cool games and wants to sell their digital versions directly. Battle.net is not "an entire digital distribution system" like Origin and Steam which include third party offerings, at least not yet.

So you think when a publisher decides retailer X is bad for some reason that is somehow more evil than a publisher/developer deciding that the only place their games should be bought is via their (over-priced) store? Battle net is an entire exclusive digital distribution system. For Blizzard games. Origin is EA's store, they could also just do an exclusive stunt and call it a day. They do not. Hence, EA better than Blizzard.

They do not want to sell games directly, they want to do so exclusively. Which puts Blizzard on my dislike scale above EA. At least EA offers proper off-line functions. And hey, at least EA caters of SP gamers. That alone puts them 2 notches above Blizzard. But we are talking the bottom 2 notches. Blizzard/Activision is at the bottom together with Gamestop and Ubisoft.

And I do not hate them. I just dislike this transparent business crap. Everything, RMT auction House, forced MP is to boost b.net profits. Not even EA would pull a stunt like that. But when Blizzard does it its a feature.. classic doublethink.. Orwell would spin in his grave.

49. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 11:50 Creston

Slippy wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 23:16:
What everyone is suggesting here would be the equivilent of a city that is hosting the Olympics putting in eight lane highways to handle the traffic during it when, on any other day, they only need two lanes...

If it was laughably easy to add 6 lines of highway for a few days which you could then just remove again, said city SHOULD add that highway for an event like the Olympics.

It's a phonecall to your ISP to get more bandwith for a week. It takes them about 15 minutes to get that bandwith ready to go. And modern day servers can probably handle an easy few hundred thousand simultaneous connections, so they'd need to scale up by a few servers which they could RENT if they wanted to.

The reason Blizzard doesn't do it is because they know that people will keep loving them, no matter how many times they have to sit in a fucking queue to play their game, or actually just watch bnet tell them "You can't play your game right now." And it saves them that money.

Shrug, you put up with that shit, you deserve all the downtime you get.

Creston

48. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 11:46 Creston

It's a PC Exclusive game (so far), so let's host the launch party at the retailer that does no more business in PC gaming, AND that we hate for (ostensibly) ruining the videogame industry through selling used games!

Way to keep fucking bending over for Gamestop there, videogame industry.

Rolleyes

Creston

47. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 11:24 Verno

Blizzard is doing the exact same think as EA, can't believe I am seeing doublethink here on bluesnews. B.Net is an entire digital distribution system, with RMT and digital purchases. That is *exactly* why the game isn't on Steam or any other digital distributor (unlike Origin games, by the way)

So Blizzard is actually even WORSE than EA.

The EA/Steam thing bugged a lot of people because it was a specific exclusion and relatively transparent one. Steam built a market and EA wants a shortcut to that user base that they don't have to work for. Blizzard just makes cool games and wants to sell their digital versions directly. Battle.net is not "an entire digital distribution system" like Origin and Steam which include third party offerings, at least not yet.

Just because people don't threaten to boycott the game doesn't mean it doesn't bug them. Everything doesn't have to be a black and white issue where you love or hate it, too much of that fanboy/hater mentality goes on around here already.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

46. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 10:54 eRe4s3r

45. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 10:45 deqer

44. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 10:28 InBlack

Man Torchlight2 looks somehow sexier than Diablo3. I dislike the WoW style oversized weapons and animations though.

Still if D3 tanks and ends up shit (which it well might) Ill definitely be checking it out.

I have a nifty blue line!

43. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 10:20 nin

Torchlight 2 preorders are up on Steam! Singles for $20, or a 4 pack for $60!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

42. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 10:18 InBlack

Yes it is. You can order, buy and even preload the game from Blizzard directly.  

I have a nifty blue line!

41. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 10:07 theyarecomingforyou

Requiring a constant internet connection isn't ideal but it isn't a deal-breaker for me, especially when some functionality revolves around it. It's disappointing that it's not available on Steam, though it's not available on any other digital distribution service either - at least it's not like EA, which is attempting to undermine Steam and piss off customers at the same time. I've preordered Diablo III and look forward to playing it, especially coop.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo