Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Cryptic Accounts Accessed

The Cryptic Studios Website busts out the tiny font to warn customers they have uncovered evidence of unauthorized access to user accounts on their network (thanks VG247). Here's a portion that covers what are likely the main concerns about this:

The unauthorized access included user account names, handles, and encrypted passwords for those accounts. Even though the passwords were encrypted, it is apparent that the intruder has been able to crack some portion of the passwords in this database. All accounts that we believe were present in the database have had the passwords reset, and customers registered to these accounts have been notified via e-mail of this incident.

While we have no evidence that any other information was taken by the intruder, it is possible that the intruder was able to access additional account information. If they did so, the first and last name, e-mail address, date of birth (if provided to Cryptic Studios), billing address, and the first six digits and the last four digits of credit cards registered on the site may have been accessed. We have no evidence at this time that any data other than the account name, handle, and encrypted password were accessed for any user.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 26, 2012, 11:09 Kawlisse

Saboth wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:45:
Wow, I'm getting tired of my information getting possibly "stolen". First it was Sony, then Trion, then Steam, then a CC breach, then Cryptic. All that in the past year!

What is the F'ing purpose of me making complex passwords if the merchants can't properly protect the data on their end?

This is why I'm not keen on having to make an online account to give away all my personal information just to play single player games (ahem Origin, Battlenet, Ubisoft, etc.) Just more people to get hacked.

Haha right on the spot, I was thinking about the same thing, got an email from cryptic yesterday, I tought it was bogus, and we give them our credit card information !!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 26, 2012, 10:32 Saboth

Efflixi wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 06:42:
I got an email about this early in the day (read it while at work) and I reported it as spam the moment I saw that the links were bouncing via "perfectworld" and the first paragraph had grammatical errors. Was that legit? It said in the email that my account password was automatically reset.

Edit: Yep, it was a legit email. Way to go with the spam looking email Cryptic. Stay classy...

I thought it was spam when I got the email too. As you said, it had typos in it, and the links looked fishy. I thought it was another generic "We noticed you are trying to sell your Warcraft/Aion" account spam mails I get, but it turns out it was real.

10. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 26, 2012, 08:52 theyarecomingforyou

I got the email - it went straight to my junk folder. I checked it but the links seemed dodgy, so I just assumed it was fake. It's hard to tell what's real any more with the sheer volume of malicious emails around.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 26, 2012, 06:42 Efflixi

I got an email about this early in the day (read it while at work) and I reported it as spam the moment I saw that the links were bouncing via "perfectworld" and the first paragraph had grammatical errors. Was that legit? It said in the email that my account password was automatically reset.

Edit: Yep, it was a legit email. Way to go with the spam looking email Cryptic. Stay classy...

8. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 26, 2012, 05:25 Rigs

Wow, I'm getting tired of my information getting possibly "stolen". First it was Sony, then Trion, then Steam, then a CC breach, then Cryptic. All that in the past year!

What is the F'ing purpose of me making complex passwords if the merchants can't properly protect the data on their end?

This is why I'm not keen on having to make an online account to give away all my personal information just to play single player games (ahem Origin, Battlenet, Ubisoft, etc.) Just more people to get hacked.

FFFFFFFUCK! Dammit, dammit, dammit!!! Geezus fuckin' Christ, I'm about tired of this bullshit too! I play STO so I knew as soon I saw the news post an email would be sitting waiting and sure enough....

*sigh*

This is getting ridiculous. Someone in China tried to get access to my Facebook account just last month - again! That's twice. Now this. I knew this shit was going to get crazy when I found a list of like 10,000 logins and passwords up on pastebin and one of them was mine! So I changed everything. Not that it mattered, apparently. You're right, why do we spend the time when it can be stolen outright? But you're preaching to the choir, my friend. Ain't nothin' gonna change until they end up launching nukes or some shit...we never learn....

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

7. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 26, 2012, 01:48 PHJF

Well at least *somebody* is still paying attention to Cryptic.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 26, 2012, 00:35 Mike Hunt

Are you allowed to delete a Cryptic account? I'm pretty sure you can't delete a Steam account and Origin will delete it arbitrarily. Would solve some issues.  

5. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 26, 2012, 00:00 Flatline

I'm at this same point too. Fuck this. I'm goddamn tired of it.

4. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 25, 2012, 23:04 Cutter

Yeah, gubment needs to make these companies start taking security more seriously.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 25, 2012, 22:45 Saboth

2. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 25, 2012, 22:02 ASeven

I got the email.

I never made an account on either of the games or with anything Cryptic related.

1. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 25, 2012, 21:44 Dev

If they did so, the first and last name, e-mail address, date of birth (if provided to Cryptic Studios), billing address, and the first six digits and the last four digits of credit cards registered on the site may have been accessed.

Oh, you mean like everything someone would need to steal your identity?

Nice of you to encrypt the password.... and NOTHING ELSE.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo