Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Safety Dance

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 26, 2012, 21:08 Sepharo

I have all my drives too. Sometimes when I'm desperately looking for a specific file I even hook one of them up to get it. I've been transferring my Quake 3 folder for like 6 or so HDs Don't know where the disc is and I want to hang on to the huge collection of mods I have.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 26, 2012, 14:04 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 10:39:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 00:48:
I still hold every drive I have ever owned.

As do I. Not for security reasons, as I'd be destroying them otherwise, but because it seems like a good idea at the time, but then you realize external enclosures are a pain in the ass, you don't miss 99% of the files you have on it and buying a new, second HDD with 10x the capacity costs peanuts.

I have all of my drives as well. I have taken a few apart for the magnets, one of which I regret. It was the first HD in the first computer that was truly mine. It was as massive 527MB drive! I remember thinking when I got that system that I would never use 527MB in my life. Of course at the time, I was upgrading from a 386 with an 80MB drive.

I wish I kept that drive, for sentimental reasons, but also because that old drive was built like a tank. It was milled from a solid chunk of aluminum instead of molded and had four magnets in it instead of two.

Steam Profile

5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 26, 2012, 10:39 Beamer

As do I. Not for security reasons, as I'd be destroying them otherwise, but because it seems like a good idea at the time, but then you realize external enclosures are a pain in the ass, you don't miss 99% of the files you have on it and buying a new, second HDD with 10x the capacity costs peanuts.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 26, 2012, 09:53 Silicon Avatar

Soo...

Getting your source code leaked is just like pumping millions of gallons of oil pollutant into a massive fishery that supplies tens of thousands of people with food and jobs.

Stay classy, Kaspersky Labs.

3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 26, 2012, 09:52 MattyC

Macs are far from malware/virus proof. That said, the Kaspersky is absurd. The security holes and quasi run-as-root that was Windows 10 years ago hasn't been present in OS X and isn't coming back. It is a stupid headline intended to grab views on pure absurdity.  

2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 26, 2012, 07:36 vacs

I am thinking it is much higher than that!

I conquer. My guess is it's closer to 9 out of 10. What privat person does again take a few hours of their time to securely wipe a 300gb or 500gb HDD? Correct! No one.

And without seriously wiping, your data can be retrieved. It is still commonly believed that formating or deleting partitions will make it impossible for anyone to get your data back.

1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 26, 2012, 00:48 xXBatmanXx

One in 10 secondhand hard drives contain recoverable personal information.
I am thinking it is much higher than that!

I advise clients to do the same or to drill through them numerous times and then take them apart if they are actually worried about it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo